Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CBR 300R ABS SE
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plan is to change the oil before spring tim and was wondering what the best oil and filter are? As well as how many quarts of oil i should buy?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I ran my CBR on a semi-synthetic four stroke motorcycle oil the whole time I had it with no probs. Some people prefer to buy the more expensive full synthetic but IMO it's not necessary as this engine is relatively mildly tuned and not a high revving beast like a four cylinder supersports is. Up to you though, what ever you feel most comfortable with. The oil capacity specs are in your owners manual. I used the K&N filters.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I you don't already have an Owners Manual, I have a link below to Honda's site. You can download a free PDF manual there. Read through it, you'd be amazed how much good info is there. (y)
Owners Manuals - Honda

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will be running Valvoline 10w40 full synthetic motorcycle oil in mine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I do full synthetic (whatever you fancy) and OE filters on this end, whatever the machine.* I'm currently on the Rotella kick, so that's T6 car and motorcycle.

* well I guess not a lawnmower or weedwacker

·
Registered
424 Posts
Motul 7100 Synth. 10W 30. Hiflo filters.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How does that saying go? If you ask 10 people what oil and filter, you'll get 11 opinions?

Personally I just get the OEM filter and gasket and use Brotella T6 5W40 (the one that's JASO MA certified). It'll be a bit thinner relative to 10 weight on start up and a bit thicker than 30 weight when at operating temperatures but it's well within what Honda specs.

The owners manual/booklet specifies Honda GN4 which is a 10W30 and I believe is supposed to be a conventional oil (possibly semi synthetic?). Funny enough the owners manual also specifies an 8,000 mile (12,800 km) OCI with GN4 and I actually follow the maintenance table using the full synthetic but if I were running Honda GN4 I'd probably be wanting to do 5000 mi (8000 km) OCI's.

·
Registered
348 Posts
How does that saying go? If you ask 10 people what oil and filter, you'll get 11 opinions?
Maybe more. Almost all motor oils on the market today are quality lubricants. I use an OEM oil filter, because they do a good job, and they're generally no more expensive that an off-brand. But, I'm not particular as to what brand oil I use, so I pick up what I need when I see it on sale. My bikes have never complained about what brand oil I've put in, as long as it's JASO certified. And let's face it, most of us only need 1 or 2 oil changes per year, so the expense is minimal at best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts