Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I recently grabbed a CBR300R and been looking at doing mods to it, and low and behold, as nice as this bike is, I still can't get over that Y tail, so I've taken into my own hands. I've scurried these forums about fender eliminators and the like and it seems there is similar interest in what I'm currently working on. So let's just see if it's worth my time to give to others what I want to see.

So currently I've got my tail apart and I'm having the rear piece 3D scanned. I've got some experience with 3D modeling and printing so once I get the scan done and the file, I'll be redesigning the underside of the tail to end flush "into" the light. Basically under the tail light just enough to give some rigidity to it. I am considering printing it in ABS plastic. The design will get rid of the Y tail and make the tail look like most larger bikes eliminator kits. This is mainly a product for my own ride; however, if it turns out sexy, I want to share the love. I'm tired of half these parts being some Chinese **** you can't return or have issues with.

I'm just posting this to get ideas and also see if there is any interest on the level that I'll just print a whole batch instead of just 1.

Pictures will follow in the coming weeks when it is done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I made mine with a piece of angle stainless. If a picture would help let me know.If you do batch it consider me sold, mine looks kind of rough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome to see some others interested. I originally started this thread to find interest, and will be delivering the tail to a company here tomorrow to get it 3D scanned, so I can start adjusting the design in CAD.

I will post renders of a few designs first, most likely late next week. Best case scenario, I'll have the piece printed and on the bike in two weeks time. Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Very interested in your results, @Jester87.
@conorreich can you post a picture of your mod?
Thanks, I'm pretty stoked about getting it done, thanks for the input.

If it looks good and I don't have to cut anything, I would like to order one also.
When it's finished, it won't require any cutting, so you'll be good. Not sure if you've taken it apart, but the outer fenders screw into the inner under body on the tail, which also holds the rear light. This will be a direct replacement for that piece, so the only work will be to pull the rear off, take the body work off and tail light, and put them into the new piece and replace.

Everyone hang in there, I'll have pictures up within a week or so. Thanks again for your interest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
pretty big piece to 3d print, no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretty big piece to 3d print, no?
It's larger than most prints sure, but it is printable :) I'll keep you posted. In actuality, it will be printed in 2-3 pieces just the same as the piece it is replacing is assembled. It's going to take some time to get it all perfect, but it will get done :)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
So I recently grabbed a CBR300R and been looking at doing mods to it, and low and behold, as nice as this bike is, I still can't get over that Y tail, so I've taken into my own hands. I've scurried these forums about fender eliminators and the like and it seems there is similar interest in what I'm currently working on. So let's just see if it's worth my time to give to others what I want to see.

So currently I've got my tail apart and I'm having the rear piece 3D scanned. I've got some experience with 3D modeling and printing so once I get the scan done and the file, I'll be redesigning the underside of the tail to end flush "into" the light. Basically under the tail light just enough to give some rigidity to it. I am considering printing it in ABS plastic. The design will get rid of the Y tail and make the tail look like most larger bikes eliminator kits. This is mainly a product for my own ride; however, if it turns out sexy, I want to share the love. I'm tired of half these parts being some Chinese **** you can't return or have issues with.

I'm just posting this to get ideas and also see if there is any interest on the level that I'll just print a whole batch instead of just 1.

Pictures will follow in the coming weeks when it is done.
I was able to find the owner of this bike and he owns a custom bike shop in Thailand. He will sell the undertail but wont ship internationally. I really wanted it too. If yours turns out anything like this, I am DEFINITELY interested!
Also, if you have a 3D printer is should be pretty easy to make some passenger handle delete plugs too? Again, they are readily available in Thailand very cheap, but they wont ship here. Attached a pic of the handle deletes also

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Awesome to see some others interested. I originally started this thread to find interest, and will be delivering the tail to a company here tomorrow to get it 3D scanned, so I can start adjusting the design in CAD.

I will post renders of a few designs first, most likely late next week. Best case scenario, I'll have the piece printed and on the bike in two weeks time. Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Thanks, I'm pretty stoked about getting it done, thanks for the input.

When it's finished, it won't require any cutting, so you'll be good. Not sure if you've taken it apart, but the outer fenders screw into the inner under body on the tail, which also holds the rear light. This will be a direct replacement for that piece, so the only work will be to pull the rear off, take the body work off and tail light, and put them into the new piece and replace.

Everyone hang in there, I'll have pictures up within a week or so. Thanks again for your interest.
The undertail piece in the pictures I posted above you have to cut off the very end of the frame. Have you had the entire rear off? You'll see the very back goes past the tail light and then slants downward on an angle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts