Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, my CBR300R was reversed into by another car less than an hour ago. I was in the left lane after switching from the other lane(s), and pulled behind an older generation Nissan Altima and I was stopped several feet behind the car. He decided to start reversing all of a sudden so that he could have room to try and move over to the next lane which turns left. Everything happened when we were all stationary at the red light.

Well, he kept reversing, and I started honking several times to get his attention but as you'd expect, he kept going at it and "BAM". He hit my bike. I didn't think of moving to the left or right lane to get out of the way because I wanted to be predictable and not get hit by another car coming from either side... And in that case, I would have been at fault for that other accident waiting to happen.

With this being my very first bike in my life, I've never even come close to dropping this bike once during my 4k mile / 8 - 9 month ownership, and this is the first time. My nightmare has become a reality. I suppose I should be thankful that I'm not really hurt, just a few small abrasions on my right leg, but no big deal at all. It could have been worse.

After everything is said and done, some of you guys have gotten to know me a bit... And I'm very OCD, especially when it comes to my bike. It now has some scrapes, some bent part(s), hesitated to started multiple times after the guy and I picked it up... I know it may not be hugely damaged, but there is some damage nevertheless. Don't know exactly how much damage. I've already decided that I'm going to trade it in after their insurance and I come to an agreement along with the dealer's estimate. I'm thinking I will go for a Honda again... There is a chance that I will opt for the exact same bike and color, but I am considering others as well... Don't know if I'm quite ready for a 600RR yet, even though I've gotten pretty confident at handling my 300R.

Attached are some images taken. I'm open to all of your thoughts and suggestions...

Man, I really liked my bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Well that sucks. Obviously he just started backing up without bothering to look to see if there was another vehicle behind him. What the F is wrong with some of these morons... wonder if he was on his phone at the time?

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bummer m8, I take it hes paying out for the damages?. Not sure how it works in your neck of the woods.

Mark

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My God... I am so so sorry to read about this. Why couldn't this happen to some smuck instead of a stand up guy like you? I really feel for you,,I do I remember my 1st bike..it was my baby.

As you said you could get another 300R OR perhaps a 500R OR even better buy back you dinged 300 R and make her into a total track bike and purchase a used 300 R... Now there is a good option....:devil:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well that sucks. Obviously he just started backing up without bothering to look to see if there was another vehicle behind him. What the F is wrong with some of these morons... wonder if he was on his phone at the time?
Yes. He said that he didn't see me. I honked at him several times and he just kept coming faster and faster. My wife said he probably had the radio loud or something of that nature.

I didn't go hard on him, and tried to be understanding and treated it simply as an "accident". He was nice, supportive, and cooperative. He actually happened to be an insurance broker and has in own small agency, from what he said. I know, I'm at a loss of words too.

Bummer m8, I take it hes paying out for the damages?. Not sure how it works in your neck of the woods.

Mark
Thanks, Mark.

Yes, his insurance will be covering. He confirmed that he was at fault while we were on the phone with his insurance. Adjuster should be coming out to me this Monday, I believe. I've parked it in my garage and won't be riding. I will request for them to tow it to the dealer at that time.

The damages aren't that bad, but it bothers me more than enough.

My God... I am so so sorry to read about this. Why couldn't this happen to some smuck instead of a stand up guy like you? I really feel for you,,I do I remember my 1st bike..it was my baby.

As you said you could get another 300R OR perhaps a 500R OR even better buy back you dinged 300 R and make her into a total track bike and purchase a used 300 R... Now there is a good option....:devil:
Ah, no worries at all. Being on a bike, things could have been much worse, you and I know it. I'm completely okay... It's just that I feel upset that my bike had to go through this... I mean my ownership was so positive, and I wanted to hang on to the bike and take care of it to the best of my abilities at all times.

I'd definitely opt for a 300R over a 500R any day... I prefer nimbleness over bulk and power, but that's just me.

If I can get into a new 300R with the help of his insurance, I will be satisfied. I don't want to use this incident as an excuse to jump into another bike. I truly like this one and I grew closer to its personality as time progressed, no doubt.

I'll keep you all posted. Thank you for everyone's solid support.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That sucks Lad. Main thing is that you're OK. Must've been hard not to kick the douchebag tho

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sorry brother...I feel your pain to an extent, as I am also slightly OCD
Who the **** reverses their car in stopped traffic without any regard? Gotta be complete dumb a$$. I wouldn't trust his "own small agency". Its probably going bankrupt due to his constant stupidity.
if it were me, id probably stick with another small displacement bike just because I know I am not ready for the upgrade just yet (you got more hours in the saddle than I do too)

Need me to make a visit to the schmucks house...?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
That sucks Lad. Main thing is that you're OK. Must've been hard not to kick the douchebag tho
Sean,,, perhaps douchebag is a bit harsh...after all the guy did not take off and leave the scene nor did he say that the bike rear ended him and he did not chew out Fanatic. The guy took responsibility for his actions and that is good.

Reactions: SeanyMagic

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Mate! my commiserations... Not much I can add that the others haven't already said but I feel your pain brother.

That is a good point of CDNHONDAR's, at least he didn't do a runner, you will get it paid out. He's still a **** tho....

I'd pump for getting the broken plastics replaced and keeping that same bike man. You know that machine and it should come up like new with new plastics you think?
Whats the handle bars/levers/switches like on that left hand side? Also your lucky it didnt go down on the pipe side - always the first thing to get trashed.

Chin up pal, like you said - youre still in one piece and it's nothing that cant be sorted. Thinkin of you.

Late edit: dont worry about the poor starting, completely normal for a bike that's been on its side.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Bloody R sole :(

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Perhaps if it had gone down on the pipe side....he could have a nice new after market pipe put on....Just saying,,;)

The best thing is that no one was injured (physically)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mate its only replacement plastic..

be sure to have repairs done by a repairer
known to your or other insurers as reputable..
the mob who replaced panels etc on mine
after a far bigger almost head-on impact
did a fantastic job of not only replacing
and repairing but careful detailing etc..

as the bloke who picked her up in their van
said; 'mate, when we're finished with her
she'll be better than new'..

[for aussies that was 'collide-a-scope' at hornsby
the preferred repairer for aami insurance]

they run a racing team and do 'everything'..
they even added a lock nut to the gear rod
of her yoshi rear set plates..
the chain had been thoroughly cleaned
and perfectly aligned, as had everything..

just make sure you get the right people
to do the job, and she will also be
'better than new'...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You're right... Most important is that I am okay. I held my negative emotions back... Didn't want to lose it on him, it would make me look bad and also make the situation get out of hand when it's very simple and he was cooperative.

I do admit, after a few hours have gone by, I'm thinking that I should have better expressed my 'pissed off' emotions, lol.

Sorry brother...I feel your pain to an extent, as I am also slightly OCD
Who the **** reverses their car in stopped traffic without any regard? Gotta be complete dumb a$$. I wouldn't trust his "own small agency". Its probably going bankrupt due to his constant stupidity.
if it were me, id probably stick with another small displacement bike just because I know I am not ready for the upgrade just yet (you got more hours in the saddle than I do too)
Yeah, the move was completely uncalled for and clearly ignorant. Completely careless and now I have to suffer for it.

It'll be okay... Time heals most everything, I suppose.

Need me to make a visit to the schmucks house...?
PM sent.

LoL!

Sean,,, perhaps douchebag is a bit harsh...after all the guy did not take off and leave the scene nor did he say that the bike rear ended him and he did not chew out Fanatic. The guy took responsibility for his actions and that is good.
He cooperated and was trying to help after his mistake, so I don't feel like going hard on him. We're all humans at the end of the day, and it's our job to work together, even though it can be difficult.

I'd say take the insurance money, get the bike fixed up good as new, and just keep riding it. consider it just another bonding experience between you and your iron horse.
This would be the most simple and logical thing to do... But I likely don't fit in either one of those categories. Stubborn me.

No way! Nothing is too harsh when it comes to your bike and your safety!
Okay okay okay, how about jacka$$ ? Lol.
Safety is one thing, but when the bike is hurt and you're completely okay, then it can be a bitter feeling like it is now.

Mate! my commiserations... Not much I can add that the others haven't already said but I feel your pain brother.

That is a good point of CDNHONDAR's, at least he didn't do a runner, you will get it paid out. He's still a **** tho....

I'd pump for getting the broken plastics replaced and keeping that same bike man. You know that machine and it should come up like new with new plastics you think?
Whats the handle bars/levers/switches like on that left hand side? Also your lucky it didnt go down on the pipe side - always the first thing to get trashed.

Chin up pal, like you said - youre still in one piece and it's nothing that cant be sorted. Thinkin of you.

Late edit: dont worry about the poor starting, completely normal for a bike that's been on its side.
Thank you, kiwi.

Yeah, it's not too big of a deal... I just make it to be more than it is.

The bike was my pride and joy... It burns my heart seeing it suffer like this.

Bloody R sole :(
I'm not brave enough to call the guy the same, but this situation is definitely a bloody R sole.

Perhaps if it had gone down on the pipe side....he could have a nice new after market pipe put on....Just saying,,;)

The best thing is that no one was injured (physically)
Going down on either side is a pain... You're right though, most important is that I'm okay.

mate its only replacement plastic..

be sure to have repairs done by a repairer
known to your or other insurers as reputable..
the mob who replaced panels etc on mine
after a far bigger almost head-on impact
did a fantastic job of not only replacing
and repairing but careful detailing etc..

as the bloke who picked her up in their van
said; 'mate, when we're finished with her
she'll be better than new'..

[for aussies that was 'collide-a-scope' at hornsby
the preferred repairer for aami insurance]

they run a racing team and do 'everything'..
they even added a lock nut to the gear rod
of her yoshi rear set plates..
the chain had been thoroughly cleaned
and perfectly aligned, as had everything..

just make sure you get the right people
to do the job, and she will also be
'better than new'...
I'm likely taking it back to the dealer that I bought it from. They seem like pros with a nice facility and they're close to home as well.

For some reason, I don't think I'll get over the fix afterwards... Mentally.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Fork is probably bent, $200+ per leg. If tank is dinged up it is $700-$800 for a new one.

I'd rather get a new bike altogether then a repaired one. Doesn't take much to total a bike. Since you are still a relatively new rider stick to the 300.

One thing to know is that if a vehicle is less then a year old insurance will cover the full cost as if it was brand new, if it is total then they should give you full new value. If not they they are trying to gyp you. If you have full coverage then that is when you want to talk to your insurance.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Give it time man...give it time. Time heals all things. In January 2014 my wife of over 23 years (2 kids) said out of the blue "I want a divorce".
Unknown to me she was shagging a friend of mine (guitarist) with whom I would Jam with either at his house or mine. Little did I know he was "jammin" with my wife. (Quote... Bloody R Sole)

2014 was the year from he** for me..constant worry about $$ and where I would end up living. I never in my wildest dreams thought at 58 I would be single. In 2015 I am much better..I am in my own house living off my small Pension ..happier and thinking about buying a bike...some thing that I was "not allowed" to have.

Chin up my man..things do get better...CBR 300 can be replaced....YOU CAN"T.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Give it time man...give it time. Time heals all things.......
Then you told us about your year from H.E.L.L. :(

Commiserations. That's an accident you can't insure for.

We're more or less the same age and I can't imagine how that must have felt. Still, you got hit by a truck but it sounds like you landed in a good place. Good luck!

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
In January 2014 my wife of over 23 years (2 kids) said out of the blue "I want a divorce".
Unknown to me she was shagging a friend of mine (guitarist) with whom I would Jam with either at his house or mine. Little did I know he was "jammin" with my wife. (Quote... Bloody R Sole)

2014 was the year from he** for me..constant worry about $$ and where I would end up living. I never in my wildest dreams thought at 58 I would be single. In 2015 I am much better..I am in my own house living off my small Pension ..happier and thinking about buying a bike...some thing that I was "not allowed" to have.
We're off topic here I know but Fanatic wont mind cos he's a compassionate guy. :D

Mate, that's a rough story, you have my full empathy. Its good that you are able to share it with us tho because bottling that crap up inside of you is the worst way to deal with it.

I had my annus horribilis in 2008 and didn't deal with it, suppressed the emotions and put a brave face on it. Two years later I was diagnosed with something called disenfranchised grief and was heading for a full on case of depression.

Like yourself I have ended up single, tho slowly but surely the light is coming back and I'm feeling stronger and happier. Surrounding yourself by things that you love and invigorate you, like motorcycles, bass guitars or woteva is great therapy and I fully recommend this approach as its definitely helped me.

Often something good can arise out of a situation that appears $hit on the surface and in your case perhaps this is an opportunity to get back into motorcycling without having to answer to anyone other than yourself - and the bank manager of course! :laugh:

All the best for your next chapter in life :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Off topic I know..but my point was and is..... Fanatic mentioned above in post title "Emotions hurt" . He is obviously shocked/hurt about this whole event. Just using my situation as an example that in time things do get better.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.