Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's January and I know most of you have your bike tucked in for the winter, but here in sunny AZ it is prime riding weather.

Just wondering if any of you currently riding have had any issues with your bike suddenly dying on you. This happened to me on Monday; out for a nice ride and 20 miles from home the bike just died as I was heading down the road. Pulled over and tried to start it but would just turn over without starting (yes, I had plenty of gas in the tank). Finally got it to start but then it would sputter and die on me over and over. I bought it brand new last month and it only has a couple hundred miles on it.

It is currently at the dealer getting checked out. They suggested I could have got a bad batch of gas on my last fill. I will report back when I get my bike back.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Interesting. Haven't run into this... Yet.

Will stay tuned to find out what your dealer says after their diagnostics...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had something like that happen to me when I started her up this past sunday. She started right up, then when I shifted into 1st and even 2nd, she would die.
Turns out... I still had the kickstand down hahaha :rolleyes:
So no, cant say ive had the problem that you have had. Keep us posted tho...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kickstand should deactivate the engine as soon as you take it out of neutral. Is it possible the engine killswitch was activated? (although I wouldn't suspect that the engine would try to turn over). Could be a throttle body thing.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I had something like that happen to me when I started her up this past sunday. She started right up, then when I shifted into 1st and even 2nd, she would die.
Turns out... I still had the kickstand down hahaha :rolleyes:
So no, cant say ive had the problem that you have had. Keep us posted tho...
Kickstand should deactivate the engine as soon as you take it out of neutral. Is it possible the engine killswitch was activated? (although I wouldn't suspect that the engine would try to turn over). Could be a throttle body thing.
Hmmm... Beats me, may want to submit this issue for further diagnostics as well. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the bike back. Interesting what caused the issue.

Turns out I had a business card loose in the small storage area under the seat. There is a spot by the hinges where a card or piece of paper could slip through and go under the seat. That is what happened; the business card slipped under the seat and was clogging the intake. Funny thing is, the business card was for a motorcycle towing company, which I was trying to find when my bike died on me.

Lesson learned, if you put anything under the seat make sure it is sealed in an envelope or something larger than the opening it could slide under.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Glad that business card survived the short-lived journey. :laugh:

Reactions: CBR OLDSTER

·
Registered
104 Posts

Turns out I had a business card loose in the small storage area under the seat. There is a spot by the hinges where a card or piece of paper could slip through and go under the seat. That is what happened; the business card slipped under the seat and was clogging the intake. Funny thing is, the business card was for a motorcycle towing company, which I was trying to find when my bike died on me.

Lesson learned, if you put anything under the seat make sure it is sealed in an envelope or something larger than the opening it could slide under.
I love it!

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

A lot of CBR250R owners have had the same thing happen... insurance cards, registration papers, pieces of mail, etc. finding their way from the storage compartment to underneath the seat and ending up covering the air intake snorkel. In many instances it happened while they were riding, and they experienced a sudden and dramatic loss of power, as if the engine were starving for gas... definitely not something you want happening when running at freeway speeds in traffic.

:eek:

Anything that is thin enough to slide through the space between the bottom of the seat and the edge of the storage compartment needs to be secured underneath the rubber strap in the storage area.

·
Registered
212 Posts
On my second trip out on my CBR300R I suffered from loss of power :(

On my first trip a few days ago I had filled the bike full of fuel a few miles away. I'd ridden a total of 82 miles on my 2 trips before I started experiencing problems.

On my first trip out, I didn't feel as though the CBR300R was as responsive as my CRF250L, but I put this down to its newness.

On my second trip after turning round to head home, the CBR would not pull more than 4000rpm / 30 - 40mph depending on the gear. Over a few miles this reduced to 9mph and the CBR kept dying. The CBR would always start back up first time and idled fine. Increase the revs and it would die :( .

I called a recovery truck to take me home. There were no warning lights, if the fuel had been dodgy, then it wouldn't idle, perhaps there was a fuel pressure problem?

Taking the seat off, my satnav spare wiring which I had put in a bag to keep it clean was in the air filter inlet! I had been riding some bumpy roads so guess it got dislodged and sucked in!

I've rerouted the wiring and wedged it under the battery strap so hopefully the problem is solved? I will go for another ride in a day or so.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On my second trip out on my CBR300R I suffered from loss of power :(

On my first trip a few days ago I had filled the bike full of fuel a few miles away. I'd ridden a total of 82 miles on my 2 trips before I started experiencing problems.

On my first trip out, I didn't feel as though the CBR300R was as responsive as my CRF250L, but I put this down to its newness.

On my second trip after turning round to head home, the CBR would not pull more than 4000rpm / 30 - 40mph depending on the gear. Over a few miles this reduced to 9mph and the CBR kept dying. The CBR would always start back up first time and idled fine. Increase the revs and it would die :( .

I called a recovery truck to take me home. There were no warning lights, if the fuel had been dodgy, then it wouldn't idle, perhaps there was a fuel pressure problem?

Taking the seat off, my satnav spare wiring which I had put in a bag to keep it clean was in the air filter inlet! I had been riding some bumpy roads so guess it got dislodged and sucked in!

I've rerouted the wiring and wedged it under the battery strap so hopefully the problem is solved? I will go for another ride in a day or so.
Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
as motomike mentions, this loss of power and fuel starvation like
symptoms have been reported on cbr250r forum over the years,
to the extent that new members reporting similar symptoms
receive that same advice as first thing to check..

cbr300r [or '286'r] is the ongoing evolving model line of cbr250r
with many things the same or very similar and interchangeable,
thus cbr250r forum being running about 4yrs now has a large
body of info and feedback also relative to cbr300r..
members should not hesitate to take advantage of
this well established body of relevant information..

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm wondering if some of issues are due to the dealer not assembling the bike correctly...

I know it is standard practice for them to take the bike out to check on any issues before giving it to the buyer. Maybe I just don't want to acknowledge that Honda is capable of a design flaw in the seat that is so crucial to the performance of the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
this is interesting because I just picked up this bike that being the cb300f,

I saw the strap in the storage area which typically would secure the battery but the battery is just next to the storage area & on the other side of the battery is the air intake, so the strap is not securing the battery, it just seemed to be securing the tool kit (which only includes one allen wrench & the helmet lock strap),

& in my case I dressed the battery tender harness into the storage area & at the time I did not think much about it just tucked the battery tender harness under the strap with the tool kit so the connector is accessable

this first time I accessed the storage area there was a small piece of paper tucked under the strap on top of the tool kit, it was a part packing check list for the storage area & had initials etc, it's about maybe 4" long x 2" wide just about the right size to get sucked over on top the air intake on the other side of the battery, at the time I removed it I had already ridden the bike probably 50 miiles or so, but based on this thread would probably better to remove this small doc at the dealership & before riding the bike !!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this happen to me the other day (but nothing under the seat lol).

Have just got to 2800km on it and I've had since new, was riding home and just got off the motorway. Unusual for this day was it was a clear ride home so instead of going from 30-70 multiple times for 30mins, I pretty much sat at 100km/h for 20mins. Anyway, it was nice and warm and dry but when I pull of the motorway to get to the lights, as soon as I pull in the clutch from 6 to 5 the bike dies totally. I come to a stop and can't restart it, kill switch is OK, ignition is on, no warning lights. I flintstone it to the side of the road, switch it off and on, still nothing, try again still nothing, flick the kill switch off and on and it goes through the startup phase and fires up! All I could guess was air bubble in the fuel and hasn't happened since.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts