Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New rider and I bought a 2017 CBR300R as my first bike. When I bought it it had about 1600 miles on it, and I had a shop check on it and they said everything looks good.

Today I was practicing slow speed maneuvers in a parking lot and I noticed that I can fully release the clutch in 1st gear and the bike with inch forward even without using the throttle at all. In 1st it will idle forward at 4mph. I have to let the clutch out slowly for this to happen.. If I simply drop the clutch, the bike will stall. Even in 2nd gear the bike will idle forward at 6mph.

When I was taking the MSF (training course) I used a dual sport bike which would stall if I released the clutch without giving it throttle.

I'm wondering if this is considered normal or is an issue with the clutch. The bike seems to shift and work normally as far as I can tell.

(Forgive me if this is a stupid question, as I am a new rider.)

·
Registered
287 Posts
It's not a stupid question at all. But every model motorcycle is somewhat different depending on what it's manufacturer has designed and optimized it to do. Your CBR300R is equipped with fuel injectors and an ECU (Engine Control Module) that does just that... controls the electronics of the ignition and fuel system. The bike is also geared with sprockets that consider the fact that a large majority of buyers will be newer riders... so gearing is extremely rider friendly and mistake forgiving. Idle speed and ignition timing are set at the factory.. and should, for all practical discussion, stay that way for the life of the bike.
Your bike's maintenance schedule includes checking clearances for engine valves, (that I'd recommend you have a technician perform) and cable adjustments for both clutch and throttle (that are an easy task by following the instructions in the Owner's Manual). Enjoy your CBR.. it's one of the most reliable and trouble free motorcycles available.. at any cost. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yep, that's how my 2015 was. I could get the bike going from a stop by slowly releasing the clutch, no throttle needed. I've accidentally stalled my SV650 more often even though it has some goofy "start assist" feature for new riders.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
18 Posts
Check your throttle adjustment. It's very easy to do yourself. Here's a video of how to do it. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts