Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
fighter pilots are very highly and specifically trained
to create neuronal pathways for processing of
information before them into decisionmaking..

learner motorcyclists in my society [aust] must go thru
pre-learner, learner and provisional training before
full licensing testing etc, and yet learners practicing
is in first or second gear around a short oval course..

even then some learners ride off this slow easy course..
[at my sons course one lady just ran off course 5 times]
point being learner rider training is nowhere the level
of anything like basic fighter pilot instrumentation
and information processing training and practice..

having a number before the attention for gear
must be distractive of vision and attention,
and is imo unnecessary and counter productive
to natural development of actual riding skill..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I kind of agree with shisoshin, having all that info up in your face would be distracting even for an experienced rider. If I want to know what my speed is, I look down and remember the exhaust note, keeping rpms at that same note for that speed. I also ride with a gps occasionally but tend to rely on the voice prompts. I like the built in cameras, however I think having the rear view camera up in your FOV would be a real distraction. Overall I think these helmets miss the mark, but we will just have to wait and see, and watch the reviews.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree, learning basic skills and getting to know your bike's sounds and feel is critical and people shouldn't just rely upon a HUD to communicate info to them. A large HUD, like the one they have rendered, could definitely be an annoyance, but as long as it's tidy I can see how it would be handy to have something like navigation available to you. I'm a good navigator but for someone who isn't good with directions I think it could be helpful. For example a group ride where you are unfamiliar with the roads or maybe a road trip. I think I'd prefer a HUD over a cell phone attached to the triple tree.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im with you guys. I am unbiased at this point. Maybe in the future I'll get to try something like this to know whether or not its gonna be an assistant for me.
But for now, I like not having to become dependent on more gadget to fail me.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Ugh...I can't even imagine using this super-distracting device - having numbers dance in front of my eyes like that. I could see it useful for night and fog vision, though.

When I ride, I ride according to the conditions and don't need to look down at the speedo at all, except to make sure I don't speed much. Most of the time I'm not the only one on the road, so my pace is dependent on the flow of the traffic. I really cannot see any practical use for this technology, except perhaps racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts