Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2015 CBR300R from Dealer. Overpaid. $3.99k. 8.9k miles. New to motorcycles. First bike.

Been doing work on it. (Dealer replaced rear tire, did clutch work, and brake fluid flush prior to me taking possession). I have since polished exhaust, repainted exhaust tip, replaced OEM air filter/cleaner, replaced the right peg bracket (broke it), replaced the middle, under, and upper cowls (they had slight damage), did the oil and filter (dealer overfilled), topped off coolant (was low), and did the brakes which were below 50% in front (replaced both front and back with Niche semi-metallic kit for $54). Had a shop replace front tire soon after taking possession.

When I recently did the brakes I torqued the rear flange bolt to 22 foot pounds, and it sheered off. I have a temporary bolt in place while I wait for the 8x49 flanged bolt. I am leery to torque the replacement. Did I over torque, or is it not supposed to be torqued at all? Perhaps instead just a real good snug, and then just a bit more?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics if anyone wants to see... To be honest I enjoy fixing it more than riding it. Kinda short, and on tippy toes. I like to look at it, and I may just end up selling it for around $3.4k, and then putting that money towards a cruiser I think. Dunno. 馃

Attachments

Premium Member
Great that you are enjoying the new bike. I personally very rarely use torque wrenches for the exact reason you have in front of you now. I appreciate they have their place doing motor work but I dont use them for anything else. You dont get the feel you do when you do it by hand. Yep, snug and then a bit more is a good rule of thumb.

A quick google search showed that 20 ft/lb is a typical maximum for a M8 high tensile bolt so yeah 22 may have been just that bit too much. I was fitting the fork brace to my race bike yst and I remember that the torque spec for the M8 cap screws was 16-18 ft/lbs. As a matter if interest I did them up by hand to what thought was sufficient and then checked them with the torque wrench. They measured around 15/16 ft/lb but I should mention that this is into high grade aluminum, not steel.

Keep on having fun out there in the garage and on the road. (y)

Registered
I'm thinking being the dealer replaced the rear tire he may have removed that bolt to swing the caliper out of the way and tighten it with an air impact which they love to use and the bolt was stretched before you got it and if that is true it's a very good thing you caught it-bad things would have happened if that bolt broke when you really needed the rear brake

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm thinking being the dealer replaced the rear tire he may have removed that bolt to swing the caliper out of the way and tighten it with an air impact which they love to use and the bolt was stretched before you got it and if that is true it's a very good thing you caught it-bad things would have happened if that bolt broke when you really needed the rear brake
Interesting. I didn't even consider the idea that the dealer had messed with it to replace tire.

It wasnt a Honda dealer I got the bike from either. I had a bad experience with them and I'll never have them do anything on the bike.

When I needed a new temp tag/reg because they waited to the last minute to send the title and stuff to an out of State DMV, I had them look at the brake fluid on front as it seemed kinda low (it wasn't, but brake pads were less than 50%, so level was close to lwr line), when they were done I was getting my stuff from out under the rear seat, and like a dumbass I closed it with the key in it.

I asked if they had any thing to help me get it open, else I was gonna call a locksmith at over $100+ (my dumbass also forgot I had roadside assistance and it wouldn't have cost me a dime). The service dept guy started trying to pry up the seat with force and started ripping out the rear cowl clips (breaking one). I told him to stop breaking my bike.

So long story short, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they over torqued, or broke stuff while servicing the bike before I took possession. The oil was way above the sight glass so no doubt they filled it while on the kickstand instead of leveling bike.

That's why I want to do my own servicing if possible. Least I'll be more careful, or know if it's not right and fix whatever needs to be fixed (I have a tendency to break stuff though- broke the front cowl under the right headlight where the ABS is thin and weak (where the middle cowl bolts to the upper cowl) trying to remove the right middle cowl to replace it (didn't realize there was a tiny hidden clip right there near where the hooks are at the time, and used just a little too much force removing the cowl). In hindsight it is possible this was already broken, and it wasn't noticeable until the middle cowl was removed. 馃

Breaking my stuff is one thing, having someone else break it is another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts