Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Watch out Kyle...... this is how bike in a box restorations get started!!! Good Job on the new motor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Hi Kyle, ah the mystery part in every IKEA box lol. Seriously though that part looks like goes just to the left of the right side crankcase cover. I'm sorry I can't figure out how to post a picture but if you go from the embossed HONDA on the cover it's just below and to the left of the H. Hope that helps a little. I can't find it on any Partzilla diagram either.
Yay thank you! I felt like it had to shroud a cap, I just never considered the coolant overflow reservoir for some reason.

https://imgur.com/a/zesxWhM

Just got back from a 15 mile test ride and it felt great. The chain loosened up a bit so I have to redo that. The oil is also nearly black now so I am going to go drain that and put fresh in. After that I will do screw/fastener checks to make sure nothing is rattling loose. I think I'm finally done then. :eek:

I also wanted to express my greatest appreciation and thanks for all the help and encouragement provided here. An extra thanks to lightningfrog27 and all his videos. This process would have been much more difficult without those videos and everyone's help.

edit: finished the chain tension/alignment and drained/refilled the oil and put another brand new filter in. This is the oil I drained out (which was fresh yesterday). Incidentally this is also the amount of oil Honda claims my bike burned through in 2400 miles..... yeah.
https://i.imgur.com/6UfcKru.jpg

Took the bike on a 70-mile ride through the San Gabriel's. Went up Azuza canyon to mount baldy and then back. After the ride I checked the oil and it was a nice amber color still and was right below the top mark in the sight glass.

Finally back in my natural habitat: https://imgur.com/a/PNs77V6

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thats fantastic! Im really glad to hear of your success and wish you many happy miles of riding. Its really great that @lightningfrog27 took the time to make the disassembly videos also, this is a huge asset.

Its good you changed the oil on this used engine but I can advise you that it is quite normal for the oil in this bike to turn blacker than a handlebar grip and this will happen before the time that it needs to be changed out. In my case my oil was black as night in only 3000 miles so I did a "too much early" oil change at the 6 month mark.

But in my case what happened is that i thought I had an oil leak because I had oil drops on the floor and drops of oil under the case so i began to get paranoid since I had re-used the old washer on the previous oil change.......So I ended up changing the oil "just for safety sake" but later the forum members helped me figure out that it was chain lube (I use 80W90 gearbox oil)........It was drops of chain lube that I was seeing because I had over-applied the chain lube and my front sprocket cover was filthy underneath the cover.

If anyone has oil dripping down the kickstand its most likely chain lube they are seeing. It was tricky to determine because the gearbox oil I utilize smells and feels just like motor oil.

Anyways, Im glad to see you on the road again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You guys....im just now reading through the thread. Great to hear that Kyle got his bike up and running, and even more thrilled that my videos were able to help in some small way. Feels good to know that they are in fact a useful resource as intended!

....now if i could only finish my rebuild....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
A quick update on the engine. It's been ~1600 miles and everything feels great, I almost swear this engine has more power than my old one did! I've been keeping a sharp eye on the oil and I've noticed that is has been going down, seemingly at the same rate as the previous engine. When I filled the oil last, I filled it to just at the top mark in the window. It slowly dwindled down and when I checked it today it was closer to the lower line than I felt comfortable with so I topped it off with some GN4. If I didn't notice I could easily see the engine being out of oil by another 1000 miles.

I didn't want to believe it but I guess these engines (or at least the two I got) do burn oil when you run them at high RPM for a long time. My commute each way is about 40 miles of freeway driving 80MPH. Because I live in the mountains, my commute back up is pretty much 100% full throttle at ~70mph, chugging up the roads. I'm looking into upgrading the drive sprocket to a 15-tooth with the hope that reducing the engine RPM will also reduce the oil consumption. In the end I probably just need to get a 500cc or larger so I'm not ringing the thing's neck at cruising speed.

Or I could just not drive so fast...... :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hadn’t read this thread until now, so too late to throw my two cents in, other than to say glad you got it up and running again. I am enjoying the calming effect of the 15T sprocket, although I do less time on the freeway than you appear to. As for oil consumption, my riding is lots of sub-100 km/hr winding roads, with occasional highway time and sometimes day-long highway trips. In 20,000 km I have never had to top up the oil. There is a slight loss between changes, but never enough to need adding any.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As for oil consumption, my riding is lots of sub-100 km/hr winding roads, with occasional highway time and sometimes day-long highway trips. In 20,000 km I have never had to top up the oil. There is a slight loss between changes, but never enough to need adding any.
Thanks for that. Based on the bikes I've owned over the last 50 years, I can count on one hand the times I've had to add oil between my (not the recommended, I know) 2,000 mile oil change intervals. Granted, I'm old and slow.. So maybe the bikes are being kind to me, so's I don't have to bend over to check the sight glass. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
A quick update on the engine. It's been ~1600 miles and everything feels great, I almost swear this engine has more power than my old one did! I've been keeping a sharp eye on the oil and I've noticed that is has been going down, seemingly at the same rate as the previous engine. When I filled the oil last, I filled it to just at the top mark in the window. It slowly dwindled down and when I checked it today it was closer to the lower line than I felt comfortable with so I topped it off with some GN4. If I didn't notice I could easily see the engine being out of oil by another 1000 miles.

I didn't want to believe it but I guess these engines (or at least the two I got) do burn oil when you run them at high RPM for a long time. My commute each way is about 40 miles of freeway driving 80MPH. Because I live in the mountains, my commute back up is pretty much 100% full throttle at ~70mph, chugging up the roads. I'm looking into upgrading the drive sprocket to a 15-tooth with the hope that reducing the engine RPM will also reduce the oil consumption. In the end I probably just need to get a 500cc or larger so I'm not ringing the thing's neck at cruising speed.

Or I could just not drive so fast...... :D
I can see the engine using oil at those speeds and load-going up on the front sprocket may not work because you are increasing the load on hills-might want to try a different brand of oil in 10/40

·
Registered
390 Posts
You dont see any puddle of oil where you park the bike everyday? Also try cleaning the entire bottom and sides of the engine meticulously and then look and see after one of your long trips if you see any oil stains on the metal

Also have a second human hold up the bike perfectly upright while you kneel down to check the sight glass just to ensure you are getting an accurate measurement. And check sight-glass after you come back from a long trip and after you have left the bike powered off for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You dont see any puddle of oil where you park the bike everyday? Also try cleaning the entire bottom and sides of the engine meticulously and then look and see after one of your long trips if you see any oil stains on the metal

Also have a second human hold up the bike perfectly upright while you kneel down to check the sight glass just to ensure you are getting an accurate measurement. And check sight-glass after you come back from a long trip and after you have left the bike powered off for 5 minutes.
The block is perfectly clean with no drips under the bike but I'll be sure to do more thorough checking next ride after a thorough cleaning. I'm currently on a 3 week trip so it will be a bit before I can update. Although I didn't check the oil on a perfectly flat ground, I've been checking it in the same location with the same lean angle so that in theory I can still see any difference in oil level over time. That's how I noticed the level going down. When I get back home I will put the bike up on service stands on flat ground to get a more accurate reading for future comparisons.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Your best bet to see an accurate reading is to ask another human to assist. For example I will just sit on my bike and ask a stranger at Home Depot parking lot if they can look at the sight glass for me. 90% of people are happy to help.

Especially men I mean. Most men are very happy to be asked for advice or to do a quick favor. Me personally I will even help to change a tire unless I am in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
also park on any sloped road/area for more horizontal, or use [anything] a wedge under side stand to almost horizontal..
holding throttle right hand, left hand/fingers over seat, down on right knee alongside sight window, your weight and position hold bike steady as you check sight glass.. just stand/hold, bend knees/crouch..

after oil change, check level from different parks [if on a downslope turn her around, etc] include your or a typical park, then with regular checking you will have a consistent guideline..
sufficient to show at a glance an abnormal low level..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your best bet to see an accurate reading is to ask another human to assist. For example I will just sit on my bike and ask a stranger at Home Depot parking lot if they can look at the sight glass for me. 90% of people are happy to help.

Especially men I mean. Most men are very happy to be asked for advice or to do a quick favor. Me personally I will even help to change a tire unless I am in a hurry.
Or if you happen to be a Female Rider, we could probably bump that figure up to 99%. Sorry, just saying... some of us haven't evolved very far from our animal ancestors. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I found in my own case that when I tried to get the reading just by myself (kneeling down next to the sight glass and attempting to hold the bike upright) that the results where quite inconsistent. Because even a very slight lean would dramatically change the sight-glass reading.

Even when I straddled the bike and used a handheld mirror to dangle my arm down and try to read the mirror reflection of the sight-glass I still did not trust the results because my arm is not very long so I had to slump over and dangle down my arm and in doing so it would destabilize the bike.

Now if someone has longer arms or has a mirror with a longer handle maybe they will get better results than I did. But checking motorcycle oil level is one of those tasks that works best with 2 humans. Same as cutting your own hair or giving yourself a back massage.

There was a forum post awhile back about putting the bike up on the rear paddock stand and then checking the level but you will have to know the reading of how it is SUPPOSED to be and then compare it to the reading on the paddock stand. An experiment I keep forgetting to do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This bike is so light there is no problem squatting down beside the bike with your right hand on the throttle grip and checking the level. A lot of over-thinking going on here. Just get it to where you feel it is level and then go a little bit each direction and you will get a good overall idea if you need oil or not.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
never had a bike drop while servicing etc, in a lifetime motorcycling..
as bheezy observes, dont overthink it, thus promoting fears etc..
just standing a bikes mass goes into gravity.. horizontal theres no sideways pull, thus its easy to hold in or close to balance with hand/s..

just put exact amount of oil in there, then check what that means at the sight glass.. including at various angles etc..
then, glance check walking to and away from rides..

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
fill sump with exact amount of oil.. now check that tilted side to side, fore and aft.. [parked upslope, turn bike around], note how oil level changes..
check glance to and from your park teaches brain good level..
then if oil drops unusually, you will notice the difference..

41 - 60 of 60 Posts