Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I have had my cb300f for a year and a half now and I love it! However, I have noticed a burning smell not all the time but most of the time since I got it. Seems like it might be from the muffler but not sure. I have only been riding a year and half but have been putting myself in all kinds of situations and feel pretty good for being new to this all. I just brought it in to service to have some lights installed and mentioned the smell and they didn't seem to have any idea what it could be from. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm concerned it might be something I'm doing since I'm still new. If it is I would love to know so I can correct it and become a better rider. Look forward to receiving some clarity around this. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hey Holly, it's unlikely to be anything related to what your doing but it's good that you had it in at the shop recently as those guys (or gals!) would have picked up on it if it was anything to be really worried about.
Exhaust systems do smell for the first couple of hundred miles while the new paint burns off the header pipe in particular, but that will be long finished on your bike now.
The only thing I can think that you may be doing unwittingly is resting your right foot on the rear brake and holding it on slightly while your riding which would heat up your rear disc and caliper. You can eliminate that quite easily by putting your hand on the rear brake caliper and see if its hot. Check out your front one too while your at it.
Also, is your temperature gauge showing three bars consistently once the motor is warm? And does the motor ever seem overly hot when you stop and is this the area where your smell is coming from?
It would pay to slip a hand in on top of your motor (when it's cold!) and check that there is nothing sitting on top of the head like a dead bird etc. Not an easy area to access tho.
Good luck!

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
welcome.. the exhaust cannister does get very, hot..
too hot imo, considering legs of rider and pillion
are at risk of contact in a side drop etc..

if its been there from the start, its less likely to be
something on the exhaust being burned/smelling
unless perhaps you touch a boot heel onto it
as part of your general riding foot position..
[leaving burn marks on the exhaust]

otherwise tho burning smells might indicate
a leak of fluid somewhere onto the engine
[which that tech enquiry should have found]
but also there is a burning smell in new engines
when hot, which should have faded by now..

perhaps you are sensitive to smells,
and notice what others might miss
or not recognise as unusual..

first thing to check would be coolant fluids
including oil levels..
your temp gauge should give some
indication of unusual high temp..

coolant fluid/radiator fan might
effect temp if not functioning,
but unlikely given servicing
and specific tech enquiry..

its good tho regardless to notice
such things,, as part of your
responsibility to your motorcycle,
which also means to yourself...

·
Registered
447 Posts
I get that same smell occasionally. I think mine is coming from the exhaust. As I sniff around the bike, the smell seems to come from the exhaust even though it smells more like a burning plastic than burning gas. Maybe something inside the muffler. I took the seat off to check underneath once after the smell and everything looked OK. Mine has been going on over a year now, so if something was burning, I think it would show up by now. The battery cables, hoses and all the plastic parts I can see look OK. You know there is another possibility. If you touch the exhaust with your sneakers if you ride with those, you could be melting a little rubber, neoprene or whatever those soles are made from onto the hot exhaust. I do wear sneakers, but my sneakers don't actually look melted, so I just don't know.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I have had my cb300f for a year and a half now and I love it! However, I have noticed a burning smell not all the time but most of the time since I got it. Seems like it might be from the muffler but not sure. I have only been riding a year and half but have been putting myself in all kinds of situations and feel pretty good for being new to this all. I just brought it in to service to have some lights installed and mentioned the smell and they didn't seem to have any idea what it could be from. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm concerned it might be something I'm doing since I'm still new. If it is I would love to know so I can correct it and become a better rider. Look forward to receiving some clarity around this. Thank you!
Hi Holly, Is this your first time using a clutch? Maybe you are riding the clutch too much or maybe it's not properly adjusted

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Has your bike had the relay recall swap? I believe the faulty relays were prone to overheating and would presumably emit a burning plastic smell, as you describe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it and having a forum like this especially for new riders is so valuable.

To answer some of the questions: This is not my first time using a clutch but first time with a bike. Could I be doing something that is causing it to create a burning smell?

I wear Daytona boots not sneakers because my mere 4.11 size needs the added boost. Will check the boots to make sure they aren't rubbing up against the exhaust but I tend to sit pretty close to the tank so not sure that is causing it.

I will definitely pay attention to my foot riding the back break a bit in case I'm unknowingly doing that. I want to become a great rider and if I have some bad habits I definitely want to correct them.

I have had my bike serviced on a regular basis and did have the recall issue fixed. So far no service tech has seen an issue. I will check the engine, temp gauge and fluids. Just had it in to have some great denali D2 lights put on and asked them to check oil... Nothing out of the ordinary popped up for them. BTW: the lights make a huge difference. I am turning my 300F into a mini touring bike and will take a few pics and put them on the forum. My husband has a bmw 1200gs and I needed to outfit my 300 to be able to take trips with him. For someone new to this all I think it looks pretty awesome but you guys will be a good gauge for that. Anyway, I will continue to investigate the smell. I have 4200 miles and this smell has been with me since the beginning. :eek: Again thank you all for the feedback. So helpful.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Thank you all so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it and having a forum like this especially for new riders is so valuable.

To answer some of the questions: This is not my first time using a clutch but first time with a bike. Could I be doing something that is causing it to create a burning smell?

I wear Daytona boots not sneakers because my mere 4.11 size needs the added boost. Will check the boots to make sure they aren't rubbing up against the exhaust but I tend to sit pretty close to the tank so not sure that is causing it.

I will definitely pay attention to my foot riding the back break a bit in case I'm unknowingly doing that. I want to become a great rider and if I have some bad habits I definitely want to correct them.

I have had my bike serviced on a regular basis and did have the recall issue fixed. So far no service tech has seen an issue. I will check the engine, temp gauge and fluids. Just had it in to have some great denali D2 lights put on and asked them to check oil... Nothing out of the ordinary popped up for them. BTW: the lights make a huge difference. I am turning my 300F into a mini touring bike and will take a few pics and put them on the forum. My husband has a bmw 1200gs and I needed to outfit my 300 to be able to take trips with him. For someone new to this all I think it looks pretty awesome but you guys will be a good gauge for that. Anyway, I will continue to investigate the smell. I have 4200 miles and this smell has been with me since the beginning. :eek: Again thank you all for the feedback. So helpful.
I've had my 2015 for about 7 months now. When I first got it, it did smell for about the first month. I also took it in after 1 month and after 2 months to get the chain tighted as they do wear a bit when its brand new. When I was leaving I asked about the recall piece(well before I ever received the notice in the mail) and he said he already changed it when he tightened the chain. Literally took 10 minutes for him to do and he woulda never mentioned it if I didn't say anything. Did you ever receive the notice in the mail about the recall? If you call the service shop you bought it from they can punch it up on the computer and see if it was fixed or if you were a lucky one that didn't have the bad part. There are about 6 or 8ish different versions in the VIN # that didn't need it. But anyway I didn't notice 1 thing after he changed it.
Is everything on the bike completely stock? Maybe take a look under it, follow the header pipe all the way to the back of the exhaust and look for something that may be stuck to it? One time on a mustang I had I ran over a plastic bag and I smelled a bad burning smell, looked at the exhaust and it was melted around the H-pipe.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Oh, have you by chance ever added anything into the gas tank? There are some of those 'octane booster', 'fuel injector cleaner' stuff they sell that sometimes can mess with the catalytic converter and cause smell issues.
Where did you have the Denali lights installed, on the front forks? Maybe if you can just trace the wiring back to the fuse box and just make sure it has a decent clearing from the engine and exhaust areas.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

I smell a rat :) Sorry Holly just jesting, hope you manage to sort it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi
Exhausts can smell if you ride over/through things, my commute is down country roads and now and then in the wet crap can spry up onto the exhaust and it starts to smell, Ive had this on all my bikes, doesn't happen all the time just now and then. Nothing to worry about.

mark

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Unless it's that burning plastic smell that's a tell tale sign of a wiring or electrical component short/fault then i wouldn't worry too much esp as you've done 4,200 miles with no dramas.
@mikal Holly says in her txt that see had the recall issue fixed.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Unless it's that burning plastic smell that's a tell tale sign of a wiring or electrical component short/fault then i wouldn't worry too much esp as you've done 4,200 miles with no dramas.

@mikal Holly says in her txt that see had the recall issue fixed.
Oh sorry. I had read JNO's reply asking if Holly had the recall done, guess I didn't read the answer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
you have a resource in hubby, the motorcyclist..
another eye, ear or point of view are always handy,
including watching you ride/riding together,
giving feedback on general riding form etc..

first ride together with youngest son
already able to ride [pizza delivery etc]
from behind the immediately obvious
poor form was his 'penguin' feet position..
ie, heel end of foot on the peg, with feet splayed
outwards and, downwards...

he just wasnt aware of it, having developed
the habit and noone at licensing courses
etc pointing it out to him..

with feet outwards and downwards they cant
move freely up/back, forward/down along their pegs
to change gears or brake efficiently, thus tend to just
stay there, sticking out and down..

it only took the mention of it, then riding behind me
giving a 'penguin' feet plus normal riding position
demo for it to become obvious,, especially when
we [deliberately] went around a few tight roundabouts,
with the penguin foot toes taking on the road
instead of being up and in, balls of feet on pegs..

how you position fingers on clutch and brake levers,
how you roll throttle on and off [not, gripping bars]
and how you position your pelvis and knees etc,
all contribute to easy efficient riding forms
which can withstand hours in the saddle,
not only without or with less fatigue etc,
but making the ride that much more
natural and enjoyable..
effortless 'low flying'..

there are heaps of video etc riding demos
out there on youtube etc, including moto3/2/gp
which you can download, showing not just
racing but general riding form of experienced
well trained riders.. including gear changing,
finger positioning and so on, and in
slow and super slowmotion segments..

think of it like say, learning to type or play piano
etc.. starting out the right way means no look
fast typing or easy playing of 'moonlight sonata' etc,
rather than two finger or whatever second rate
habit a person might develop themselves...

you have the necessary good attitude already,,
just need to feed it good info and demonstrations
to first copy then make into your own riding style..

having cluch/brake levers, throttle etc adjusted
to suit you is important for easy effective use,
as are well fitted comfortable gloves and,,
good riding shoes/boots, purpose designed
and made for, riding a motorcycle..

[recommend rs taichi riding shoes and alpine stars
summer gloves as excellent gear with great feel etc]
RS Taichi Boots

·
Registered
70 Posts
I figure I'd post this in here since my question is somewhat related, but has anyone ever experienced a hot/burning metal smell coming from the upper cylinder area? It's definitely not burning plastic, it is a distinct metal smell. This has happened to me a couple times lately, I'll be riding in the 5500-7000rpm range, come to a stop, and there it is. Going to stop by the dealer after work today to see what they think, but was curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Also, nothing in terms of performance has changed, oil and coolant levels are okay and the oil does not smell like it's burning.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I figure I'd post this in here since my question is somewhat related, but has anyone ever experienced a hot/burning metal smell coming from the upper cylinder area? It's definitely not burning plastic, it is a distinct metal smell. This has happened to me a couple times lately, I'll be riding in the 5500-7000rpm range, come to a stop, and there it is. Going to stop by the dealer after work today to see what they think, but was curious if anyone else has had this happen to them.

Also, nothing in terms of performance has changed, oil and coolant levels are okay and the oil does not smell like it's burning.
How long have you had it and how many miles are on it? When did you last do an oil change?
If the smell is definitely coming from the top of the cylinder head, and it's a burnt metallic smell? That doesn't sound(smell) too good.
Without knowing your answers, I can just throw a worst case scenario out there. If your oil was recently changed maybe the oil filter wasn't seated correctly or put on in reverse?
Is your oil level correct? Within the lines but also making sure the level hasn't dropped considerably.
Running at those rpm's is totally fine you are not doing anything wrong. But there could be a chance of the oil not circulating properly. You could do an oil change to check if there is any metal in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How long have you had it and how many miles are on it? When did you last do an oil change?
If the smell is definitely coming from the top of the cylinder head, and it's a burnt metallic smell? That doesn't sound(smell) too good.
Without knowing your answers, I can just throw a worst case scenario out there. If your oil was recently changed maybe the oil filter wasn't seated correctly or put on in reverse?
Is your oil level correct? Within the lines but also making sure the level hasn't dropped considerably.
Running at those rpm's is totally fine you are not doing anything wrong. But there could be a chance of the oil not circulating properly. You could do an oil change to check if there is any metal in it.
I've had it since last April, brand new. Last time I changed the oil was this past October, right at the end of the riding season with about 1200 miles, it's got just over 1500 now. Oil level is within spec and I'm 99.99% sure I put the filter on the right way.

It's not an overpowering "I need to stop right now" kinda burning smell, but it definitely gets your attention and doesn't smell normal.

Gonna see if the dealer has any idea, otherwise like you mentioned do an oil change and check for any particles. Rather be safe and check all the boxes than ride unknowingly, thanks!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've had it since last April, brand new. Last time I changed the oil was this past October, right at the end of the riding season with about 1200 miles, it's got just over 1500 now. Oil level is within spec and I'm 99.99% sure I put the filter on the right way.

It's not an overpowering "I need to stop right now" kinda burning smell, but it definitely gets your attention and doesn't smell normal.

Gonna see if the dealer has any idea, otherwise like you mentioned do an oil change and check for any particles. Rather be safe and check all the boxes than ride unknowingly, thanks!
Well it's still a brand new bike with only 1500 miles. You just brought it out for the new season so it could just be that 'new factory smell' still. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had my cb300f for a few months and about 1,000 miles, and I also have the burning smell. It smells kind of rubbery/plastic burning. I bought it with 1900 miles, and don't remember smelling it on the first few rides.

Any new info on this?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've had my cb300f for a few months and about 1,000 miles, and I also have the burning smell. It smells kind of rubbery/plastic burning. I bought it with 1900 miles, and don't remember smelling it on the first few rides.

Any new info on this?
Are sure the smell is like burning plastic and not burning oil?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts