Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ride in California know if ALL aftermarket exhausts are illegal? I heard all OEM exhausts have some DOT stamp or something and removing them is illegal. I want to replace my exhaust with a slip on. I really wanted the MGP Growler (sounds the best imo) but they won't even ship to CA. Two Brothers is probably my next choice.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Does anyone ride in California know if ALL aftermarket exhausts are illegal? I heard all OEM exhausts have some DOT stamp or something and removing them is illegal. I want to replace my exhaust with a slip on. I really wanted the MGP Growler (sounds the best imo) but they won't even ship to CA. Two Brothers is probably my next choice.
Here is the attached noise levels for the lower 48 as you guys call it: Motorcycle Noise Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
In the U.S. most aftermarket exhausts are illegal for public road use in all 50 States under Federal laws (EPA & DOT), and have been for many years. Of course actually enforcing such a law at the Federal level isn't very realistic*. The aftermarket manufacturers have sold exhausts with the disclaimer that they are intended for closed course competition only, and not legal for use on public roads. Where the end user actually ends up riding the bike is not the exhaust manufacturers problem or responsibility.

@Ikeepit300... AFAIK, California is among the first states to crack down on non-compliant motorcycle exhausts. A few years back CA enacted new laws addressing the issue. I'm sure a Google search will give you tons of info on CA motorcycle laws. There is also a thread from a few years ago over on the CBR250.net forum website specifically about CA motorcycle exhaust laws... I believe it's in the Performance forum.

* While States must comply and abide by Federal laws, States are not directly responsible for enforcing such Federal laws.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Unless its ignorantly loud or you are riding like a squid then the cops likely won't care about your exhaust. My heel plate protector on my exhaust has a long message engraved saying how its for track only. No one looks or cares or has even noticed (except me when I autosol the shiny bits).

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's not really a big deal, it's kind of treated the same way as tinted front windows in Los Angeles. If a cop doesn't have a reason to pull you over and wants to give you a hard time, your loud muffler just gave him a legitimate reason to do it. Or it's something to tack on to your speeding ticket and so on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in AZ so have only visited in California, I have a slip on exhaust on my CBR300R and have not had any issues, just ride normal, don't over rev at stop signs and so on. Here is a "rule of thumb" article that may help Police Enforcement Of Motorcycle Exhaust Noise - RiderzLaw.com If you live in California (where 80 DB is the limit) you may want to not change the muffler, you will see more results in performance with a K&N air filter anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts