Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2015 cbr300r and I really like the bike but my only problem is that I want a little wider rear tire. Is it do able?

This is my first bike and first time ever riding a bike

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 cbr300r and I really like the bike but my only problem is that I want a little wider rear tire. Is it do able?

While it is physically possible to install a 150/70-17 tire on the rear wheel, it is not recommended. The width of the rear wheel is intended for a 140/70-17 tire.

Why do you want a wider rear tire?... or should I say, what do you expect to gain?

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

While it is physically possible to install a 150/70-17 tire on the rear wheel, it is not recommended. The width of the rear wheel is intended for a 140/70-17 tire.

Why do you want a wider rear tire?... or should I say, what do you expect to gain?

More for looks

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Does it slow down your speed?
It won't really affect straight line speed to any noticeable degree, however a larger tire than what the manufacturer specifies can slow the handling down, as in the 'turn in' when cornering often will take more counter steering effort.

If you look at the the tire sizes used on the 250cc Moto3 race bikes, you'll see that they are actually slightly smaller than what these 250-300cc sport bikes come stock with. Motorcycle manufacturers specify optimum tire sizes and wheel widths for a given bike, not for "looks", but rather for best overall performance. It's not something random that they do on a whim, like choosing next year's new colors and graphics.

Also, the tire manufacturers themselves all warn against deviating from the sizes that the motorcycle manufacturer specified for your bike.

If you prefer the handling of your CBR to be a bit more sluggish, install bigger tires than what the engineers at Honda specified for the bike. Since it's all about "looks", may as well put some Monster stickers on the bike too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you prefer the handling of your CBR to be a bit more sluggish, install bigger tires than what the engineers at Honda specified for the bike. Since it's all about "looks", may as well put some Monster stickers on the bike too.
:laugh: Truer words have never been spoken! As with all things in life, any thing is possible with enough money and time. Real world results may not make up for the extra cool factor though. Style always has it's compromises.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if its for 'the looks', does that mean what others see,,
or what the tyre looks like, to the rider[?]

you know how some blokes maintain a comb-over
for 'the looks', thinking they will look the way
they looked before baldness,, when what they look
like, is someone trying to look like something
they arent..

its like men with muscle implants
to make their muscles look, bigger,
more masculine..

this may seem to solve their problem,
but to onlookers, they just look
pathetic..

not only that but the message is not,
i am masculine, but i am pathetic..

mm goes to the heart of the - real - issue
as relates to the motorcycle, its design
and actual use as, a motorcycle;
250cc 4 stroke single racing honda
moto3 bikes have smaller tyres
than our road tyres...

[and dont they look, fantastic]

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I understand what the OP means, having come from much bigger bikes. I have looked at bikes ahead of me and thought, "Narrow rear tyre, must be a small bike."

But, as previous responses have pointed out, the width of both tyres has a significant effect on handling. As a tyre gets wider, its radius increases too, which means more effort is required to shift it from one side to the other - especially noticeable at speed. When manufacturers decide on tyres, they will not only choose profiles that suit the nature of the bike, but ensure that this 'turning effort' is matched front-to-rear. Fitting a wider rear tyre but leaving the front as standard could have very detrimental effects on the handling for anybody whose surname is not 'Rossi' :)

So, I'm sorry to say that, while I understand the aesthetic attraction of wide tyres, I strongly recommend against it unless you really know what you're doing - but if you did, you wouldn't be asking the question!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well guy's i put 150/17/70 rear and a 120/17/70 on the front and the bike handle a lot better. And under hard braking it no so twitchy when coming to a stop. i went for the Dunlop GT601's They are a lot better than the Pirelli sports demonds

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just do your research if you want bigger tyres on your bike do it. Don't worry about what people say.
If you stick to the speed limit and maybe rev it out on the straights all good.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well guy's i put 150/17/70 rear and a 120/17/70 on the front and the bike handle a lot better. And under hard braking it no so twitchy when coming to a stop. i went for the Dunlop GT601's They are a lot better than the Pirelli sports demonds
Do you have expertise in this area, or is this your personal opinion, based on a single experiment?

As you suggest in a subsequent post, some research is a good idea and might uncover reliable evidence that wider tyres are beneficial. Did you find this when you researched wider tyres on the CBR3R? If so, could you provide links please?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well where i live here in Thailand where the bike was made. The thais love there bikes and the cbr in one of them. There are a lot of mods here. My friend here has a big bike shop, he sells everything from KTM GSXR 1000 honda 1000 everything. One of the things he sells and a lot of is tyres. Now here try's different size tyres on different bike to see how they react in a positive or in a negative way. Now if you are looking for evidence it is just from my personal experience on my bike, If you are unsure dont do it simple as that. But when you change the rear you should change the front as well. That keeps the uniformity of rubber to the ground. My bike feels good. But as i said the choice is yours.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just a quick word of caution. I'm unsure of the insurance regulations in the various countries that you fellow owners live in, but!
A change in specification especially for tires that are not recommended for use invalidates your insurance.
Anyway bigger tire, more money, seems to defeat the research that Honda has done in formulating the optimum tyre specification.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
jno - mate seriously, while i see and know its a scoot, or motorcycle
[which often means automatic id] cant remember attention ever
being drawn to what size tyres they have, or any thought about
what that means in terms of their capacity...

theres just too much out there needing focused attention
to be bothered about tyre sizes, or what that means...

[then of course theres the zen state, including things
and thoughts/ideas that are meaningless..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts