Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike seems to be leaning, and I can't tell why (picture one)

One of the symptoms is a front fairing and gauge cluster that seems to be pointing off in a weird direction (picture two)

Does anyone know what this might be? The bike is 800 miles old. It's a 2015 CBR300R. The only thing that's happened of note is I've changed my own oil. No crashes or anything major.

I brought it to Honda Powersports of Rockville and they charged me $90 and to tell me nothing was wrong.

Heeeeeeelp!

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
If its still under warranty, maybe the dealer will let you do a fair trade.
Have you done a side by side with another 300R? Id do that to maybe prove its goofy somehow...
Definitely weird. Fender warped or something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Fender could be warped? Not sure how to check, but that's a real possibility. It's a real bummer that the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it :-/

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tough to see. If you can somehow clearly prove it in comparison with another new 300R they have in stock - but naturally, the dealer may not give as much importance as the owner of the bike would.

Keep us posted, and I hope you find some peace on a resolution / answer.

Reactions: corb

·
Registered
447 Posts
Looks to me like the handlebars are not centered unless it's just the angle. More handlebar is showing on one side than the other as measured from say the edge of the flyscreen, since I can't really see how the handlebar is centered. If that's it, you should be able to loosen the two clamps holding it in place and slide it over a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Does it affect your handling at all or is it just an aesthetic thing?

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your responses.

Kiwi rider, it affects my ride in the sense that I'm constantly compensating, so I can never "relax" and ride straight. ie, I'm always flexing one arm and leaning the bike over.

In other words, if I were to sit perfectly straight and make the bike perfectly strait, it would make a long circle to the right.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Almost looks like the front fascia is twisted to the side? If you look straight down in front of the gauge cluster there are 2 bolts 1 under the other, they attach to the thick steering stem. Take a look at that connection and see if anything is bent. That would definitely bend the whole front dash and front cowl to the side. Ever tip it over standing still? Land straight on a handled bar?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Almost looks like the front fascia is twisted to the side? If you look straight down in front of the gauge cluster there are 2 bolts 1 under the other, they attach to the thick steering stem. Take a look at that connection and see if anything is bent. That would definitely bend the whole front dash and front cowl to the side. Ever tip it over standing still? Land straight on a handled bar?
That's a really good suggestion, and looks like that could be the case (or maybe a symptom). Thanks for that word "fascia" as I had no idea what that was previously. I'll check the bolts and connection when I get home. Thanks!

No falls or crashes or anything. I changed my oil and that's it. BUT they did say that the bolt that dealt with the steering was loose, so they tightened it; that might have something to do with your suggestion?

·
Registered
401 Posts
It does look like you front nose section has been knocked to the nearside UK, offside US from your image, might need re aligning, time to measure things.
Mark

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That's a really good suggestion, and looks like that could be the case (or maybe a symptom). Thanks for that word "fascia" as I had no idea what that was previously. I'll check the bolts and connection when I get home. Thanks!

No falls or crashes or anything. I changed my oil and that's it. BUT they did say that the bolt that dealt with the steering was loose, so they tightened it; that might have something to do with your suggestion?
Very well could have been the dealer. You never know what they do. Even when a new employee builds your bike out of the box! Lol. If one of those bolts was loose that could make that spot very weak...weak enough to bend? I hate going to the dealer..seems like I always get a new scratch lol

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
for forward motion stability, aside from having other motorcyclists ride it,
you can test by lifting your hands off bars while riding a flat surface
[somewhere quiet] to check for vertical stability and movement..

in the first image your torso seems positioned relatively to the right,
[assuming thats an intention, to show out of alignment etc]
so before releasing bars [in 3rd say with good momentum]
centralise your coccyx bone at seat stop enter, align feet
and legs close in, pressing lightly into tank with knees,
thighs into side of seat, heels into side guards [etc]
ie, position yourself as close to vertical center as possible,
with knees against tank for additional steering checks..

if she doesnt ride smoothly and vertically in a straight line
on a flat even surface [slightly downhill is helpful]
then others should also be able to test/feel it..

this is a good and easy first test, regardless of causation..

even if fairing/panels etc are slightly out of alignment
the primary factor is frame and wheel alignment/stability..

start from there..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts