Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange question but an acquaintance of mine thought it would be funny to run up behind me and start smacking my helmet.

I was parking my motorcycle so I couldn't really get out of the way. And these weren't light-hearted slaps. These were pretty forceful to the point if I wasn't wearing a helmet I could've been injured.

Helmet manufacturers seem to trumpet the idea that a one-foot drop can ruin a helmet. How much damage could someone slapping a helmet on your head do to the helmet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but show him an article and tell him he needs to buy you a new helmet or you'll sue his ass, because hey, free helmet.
lol sounds good. Thanks for putting my mind at ease - it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about getting brain damaged if I do get into an accident.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Strange question but an acquaintance of mine thought it would be funny to run up behind me and start smacking my helmet.

I was parking my motorcycle so I couldn't really get out of the way. And these weren't light-hearted slaps. These were pretty forceful to the point if I wasn't wearing a helmet I could've been injured.

Helmet manufacturers seem to trumpet the idea that a one-foot drop can ruin a helmet. How much damage could someone slapping a helmet on your head do to the helmet?
Unless he used a hammer, a rock, or something else hard, your helmet is probably okay.

Reminds me of the saying "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" :( Did you ask him what his problem was? He sounds like a real jerk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless he used a hammer, a rock, or something else hard, your helmet is probably okay.

Reminds me of the saying "With friends like that, who needs enemies?" :( Did you ask him what his problem was? He sounds like a real jerk.
No but it would've been a fair question to ask :serious:
If I heard about the "one-foot drop ruins helmet" earlier I probably would've made a bigger deal about it. I'm just happy to know my helmet is still usable.

But yeah, this wasn't as bad as the time I came out outside only to see a couple of these "friends" trying to pick up my motorcycle to move it.:crying:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Man..you sure have "good""Friends". I would consider getting new ones...

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
basically, the 'real damage' is with head in helmet
on impact with the road..

while damage can be caused by dropping the empty helmet
on hard surfaces, there its the outer layer damaged,
rather than the inner styrofoam impact absorbing layer
which absorbs forces entering the brain..

helmet testing involves a 13mph impact, equivalent to
coming off at average speeds, or a 6 foot drop..
still, outer shell damage should be avoided
as the whole helmet has been designed as a
single use unit,, whereby everything contributes
to energy absorption, thus even cracks to the shell
may be a real factor in how much energy enters
the brain - which is more or less the structure
of jelly or hard custard - ie, tears easily..

the helmet doesnt know if its hitting the road
from a mirror or the riders head hitting the road..
whatever protective energy absorption happens
in the shell dropping it from six foot up
will lessen its ability to absorb impact
if it ever hits the road with your head in it..

but it is designed to take impact initially
and not, crack or break, so it will take
your friends hand hitting it...

[my insurer aami will replace a helmet after a crash
when it hits the road, without question, provided
images show its chin straps severed]

·
Banned
777 Posts
One foot rule is probably at worst case scenarios.
I've dropped my helmet from 5ft, to the ground, and it was still ok.

Worst is concrete. if it falls on wood or grass, carpet or sand, you probably could drop it from a 1 story building.
If the helmet would break from a 1ft drop, I would not wear it on my head.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You wouldn't have any idea if your helmet broke or not from that 5ft drop. The INSIDE foam shell cracking is what disperses force when you crash. If it has cracked once then it has been a used helmet and will not protect the same way. So don't say you wouldn't wear a helmet that can't drop from a foot, that's just simply 100% wrong. Helmet designers make lids for a one crash use. Maximum protection then replace. Buddy smacking it with his hands won't likely do it, but a 5 foot drop 100% did, you just don't know it. This is a good reason to not buy an 800$ helmet with your first bike, sh*t happens.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
aside from visible damage to the outer shell,
its styrofoam lining is made to absorb
the impact of your 10lb head at force
into the road..

this isnt like a spring mattress or trampoline
designed for multiple rebounding, rather
its made for that single most effective
absorption of that force, as your brain
tries to smash into the road..

a brain is a delicate structure
which if even slightly torn can
result in grand mal epilepsy
or other brain injuries..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
As usual, I have a vague recollection of a research article some years ago, but can't remember where, or the details. Anyway......

Some folks decided to test the assertion that a small drop can cause 'invisible' damage to the helmet liner, to the extent that the helmet's integrity, or the protection it afforded, was reduced. Of course, the people saying helmets should be replaced after a small drop were the very same people ready to sell you a new one.......

They found that a helmet had to be dropped so hard that damage to the hard outer shell was visible before the liner was damaged. This kinda makes sense to me, because the liner in most helmets is basically poly foam which is quite compliant.

Don't quote me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts