Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have created some bad karma by talking about cheap batteries because this morning when I went to start the bike....

1) I pressed the start button for the usual 2 seconds (It made noise but did not start).
2) I pressed the button for maybe 5 or 6 seconds and the bike cranked up and started for about 2 or 3 seconds but then sputtered and turned off
3) I pressed the button for 6 or 7 seconds and it made the "cranking noise of Diga-Diga-Diga-Diga" but engine did not "turn on/turn over" whatever you call it (Sorry i dont know the terminology).

I connected it to a 2 amp battery charger and I cant find my Volt meter in my messy garage but the dial on the Schumacher charger (old charger from the early 2000's). But the dial on the charger indicates the battery is extremely low (Probably from the multiple attempts to crank it up).

I went ahead and ordered a new battery but its going to take several days to arrive and i think Monday is a Labor Day holiday (lucky me) with no postal service on that day.

When the battery finishes charging I will take it to AutoZone to get it load tested. THis is the first actual failure of the motorcycle since i purchased it. I sure hope its just the battery because if thats not the problem I dont even know "where to begin" as far as troubleshooting

2 days ago I had my cellphone on a phone mount on the motorcycle and I must have not tightened it enough because my phone went flying on the fast expressway at 85 mph! So I am really going thru a series of misfortunes this week.

Update: The last time I rode the bike was yesterday at 3pm. I went for a very long ride (over 45 minutes) and then I stopped at a new gas station and filled up the tank. So tank is 95% full. I ride the bike a minimum of 3 days per week so it has never sat idle with stale gas. I always use 87 octane.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What battery are you getting? I can get a factory Yuasa YTX7L-BS replacement for $40 but I might go Shorai or Antigravity to save a few LBs...

6.1 lbs - https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx7l-bs/
1.5 lbs - https://shoraipower.com/battery?type=175&make=381507&model=382521&year=382521
1.3 lbs - https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/restart-oem/atz7-rs/

Leaning heavily towards Antigrav for that sweet 5 lb weight savings and restart technology, but not sure if my dealership can order them. I'd only have to pay dealer cost if they do which would be killer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came back from AutoZone and battery tested at 100% healthy 12.8 volts

Put it all back together and also removed my alarm (just in case). Turned on the key and display lit up but when I press the button to start it just cranks and cranks but engine does not fire up.

Any advice? i dont know where to go from here.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spark plug? Starter motor or alternator?
Unfortunately that is over my head. I fix computers but i have the mechanical skills of a chimp. Im more likely to break something.

Now my mind drifts of into the most paranoid of thoughts such as that the mechanic sabotaged the bike on purpose somehow when I took it to him to get the handlebars changed 25 days ago. But that is probably just crazy talk.

I just wanted to see if anyone else with my same motorcycle has experienced these same symptoms.

Darn. My mind is really in a bad place now. I am really, really, really worried that this repair could end up costing me a fortune. Im completely at the mercy of the mechanic now. This motorcycle really means alot to me and i have been so so rigorous with the maintenance....I would never in a thousand years have expected this to happen.

Thank God at least that it happened with my bike here at home and not out on the road. My spirits are completely deflated, like a flat tire.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: My neighbor came over to help me and we took off the cover of the air filter and he opened the throttle a few times and then turned the throttle open 25% while cranking it and it finally started up. i rode it around the block a few times for about 5 minutes and it seems to be driving fine. Im going to go buy some Chevron Techron treatment and run that thru. i will update if the problems return.

Sorry for the melodrama.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah best he starts with the battery first, it's the obvious culprit and it sounds likely in this case.
Kiwi, I had the battery load tested at Auto Zone and they said its 100% good at 12.8 volts. I had ordered a battery in anticipation and then canceled the order. Im planning to run a fuel injector treatment (Techron) and hopefully that will sort it out.

I went to a strange new gas station for the first time ever and that was the last event before these problems began. I have the tank 95% full so bad gasoline may be to blame. i know that is not a likely scenario but you never know.

I checked the fuses and they are all intact.

I will update the thread

·
Registered
159 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I am lucky enough to have two ethanol free stations within a half a mile. I think I’ve only had to put ethanol in her once in 3000 miles

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rode the bike today and it is working like normal. But maybe I will send a letter to Honda Corporate because that is at least 3 bikes on our forum that have experienced the same issue.

We are all out of warranty however. Btw: I tried to cancel the order for the new battery (which I sent a cancellation on Sunday) and the vendor claims "Its too late, its already on its way" but we all know that USPS does not ship out until Monday so the vendor is playing games with me.

Then i was searching on the CBR250 forum that uses same battery and people say the stock battery lasted 5 years, others say 7 years so since mine is only 3 years and has tested at 100% good I def dont want the new battery.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is running normal ever since the incident but here is a video about a guy getting so angry that his moto wont start: (Skip to 2:30)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had the exact same issue you're talking about. Checked everything as well and nothing was out of sort. All I did was to run the bike until is was begging for fuel, put a little Chevron fuel system cleaner in there along with fresh gas and, knock on wood, never had another starting problem.

Just as a precautionary measure maybe check ethanol content next time you fill up, I've been reading about stations starting to move up to E15 from E10 and this is enough to have a detrimental effect on motorcycle engines that aren't designed for it. I don't know if that's actually been happening yet or still just in talks, but something worth remembering.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So what the guy did wrong in the video is when you have a bike problem and you think the bike is messing with you take a large hammer show it to the bike and tell it to get into the program and cooperate or you will work it over--works for me-- moral is bikes don't like to be hurt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the exact same issue you're talking about. Checked everything as well and nothing was out of sort. All I did was to run the bike until is was begging for fuel, put a little Chevron fuel system cleaner in there along with fresh gas and, knock on wood, never had another starting problem.

Just as a precautionary measure maybe check ethanol content next time you fill up, I've been reading about stations starting to move up to E15 from E10 and this is enough to have a detrimental effect on motorcycle engines that aren't designed for it. I don't know if that's actually been happening yet or still just in talks, but something worth remembering.
Its ironic you say that because I had just filled up a strange new gas station that I had never been to before and that is when the problems began (As soon as I tried to crank it up the following morning). So I will def avoid that particular station from now on and stick to the major names. I mean just to save 5 cents per gallon it is not worth the risk.

0.5 x 3 gallons = 15 cents.

·
Registered
297 Posts
New executive action allows E15 year-round (was previously prohibited during the summer months), opposed by environmentalists/economists but supported by... People involved in growing corn. Actual ethanol content varies, and I've heard grumblings it may exceed the stated amount at the pump, but I couldn't find good evidence to link to of this.

Our problems are resulting from bad gas, ethanol or not.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if possible, dont use lower energy, slower burning ethanol in your bike or small engines.. subject well covered here etc.. recorded effects of ethanol include reduced starting efficiency..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts