Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange experience today. I couldn't get out of neutral. I was at a stoplight and it wouldn't shift to 1st or even 2nd. I tried at least 5 times before it finally switched.

Ever since i took the bike in for a clutch adjustment, getting in neutral has been easy unlike the first 1 yr I had the bike. A common problem i heard in this forum.

the problem happened again when I pulled over just to test it but never again after riding for about 2 hours.

Anyone w/ similar experiences or advice? thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

The day after I picked up my new CBR300R and having only ridden 53 miles it stuck in 3rd or 4th gear (not sure which).

After having managed to stop in a safe place I checked the gear change lever and linkages and although everything moved, to an extent, nothing much else was happening.

Long story short - Bike was recovered by the breakdown service and returned to the dealership some 45 miles away.

I received a phone call, the next day, to say it was a simple fix and that my bike was ready for collection.

The gear change lever had almost totally seized seemingly because the the pivot, on which it is mounted, had not been greased during assembly.

The dealership removed, cleaned and lubed it and I have now covered off another 550 miles trouble free.

You may, by chance, have the same problem however it could be something completely different.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Gearboxes do seem to be a bit like 'a box of chocolates', never quite know what yer gonna get.

AFAIK the CBR250 and CB/R300's have the same gearbox, but Ive had way more issues of the type we've all seen mentioned on this forum with the 300 than I ever did with my 250. ie. hard to find neutral, hard to get into first, jumping out of gear etc.
I have no idea why this is, it just is :confused:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Kiwi.. Perhaps that extra torque from the 300 engine taxes the strength of the transmission gear assembly???

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My not-even-two-weeks-old CB300FA with about 400 km basically never goes from neutral to the 1st when I shift from the 1st to neutral while stopped. As it's been recommended, I gently press down on the shifter and slowly release the clutch until the 1st easily clicks in.
(Rolling the bike back or forth didn't always work so I don't use this method.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
My not-even-two-weeks-old CB300FA with about 400 km basically never goes from neutral to the 1st when I shift from the 1st to neutral while stopped. As it's been recommended, I gently press down on the shifter and slowly release the clutch until the 1st easily clicks in. (Rolling the bike back or forth didn't always work so I don't use this method.)
Don Canet has an article in Cycle World (June, 2015) comparing the CBR300R, Kawasaki Ninja 300, KTM RC390, and Yamaha YZF-R3. He writes: "In fact, each of these bikes has a short bottom gear, and all are quite capable of smoothly pulling away in second. Doing so delivers the impression of riding a bigger machine and is well worth trying."

Is anyone using this technique? If so, how's it working out?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don Canet has an article in Cycle World (June, 2015) comparing the CBR300R, Kawasaki Ninja 300, KTM RC390, and Yamaha YZF-R3. He writes: "In fact, each of these bikes has a short bottom gear, and all are quite capable of smoothly pulling away in second. Doing so delivers the impression of riding a bigger machine and is well worth trying."

Is anyone using this technique? If so, how's it working out?
I've occasionally misjudged my downshifts coming to a stop in second, thinking i was in first, and then pulled away in 2nd with no troubles, but i don't do it as standard practice, as after a few months of riding the bike, i have no trouble with 1st gear at all, whether i'm shifting to or from first, or smoothly riding at walking pace in first, its all just practice and when you get it you get it

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... The gear change lever had almost totally seized seemingly because the the pivot, on which it is mounted, had not been greased during assembly.

The dealership removed, cleaned and lubed it and I have now covered off another 550 miles trouble free...
I had the same problem early on with my CBR250R... the shift pedal pivot had very little grease on it from the factory, and by the time I had put a couple thousand miles on the bike, what little grease was there had dried up to the point of causing difficult and missed shifts. Pulled it apart, cleaned the pivot shaft and the inside of the shift pedal tube, then gave it a coating of Permatex Anti-Seize lube (which IMO is better than regular wheel bearing grease for this application). Never was an issue again.

I did clean and re-lube the pivot again when I did the 8000 mile full service. Even though Honda doesn't list it as a regular maintenance item, I'm of the opinion that this should be done at least every 8000 miles to insure smooth shifting.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Kiwi.. Perhaps that extra torque from the 300 engine taxes the strength of the transmission gear assembly???
That may explain the jumping out of gear (its only happened about 3 or 4 times) but not the hard to engage first or neutral.
It's not a massive issue tho, just could be slicker. Next model maybe :)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
there is heaps of info and advice etc on this
and related 'issues' here and cbr250r forum
[ie, try search boxes]

honda road gear changing does become smoother
over time, seemingly part of he wearing in process..
but also as riders learn/adapt to a new bike etc..

this bike can easily start off in 2nd gear on the flat..
if you find yourself in 2nd at lights [especially if
not, filtered to the front, ie, with cars behind you]
just take off as usual but give her more revs,
to match different gear ratio to loading..
also feed the clutch out smoothly and
evenly - a little slower than normal..
not a bad idea to practice 2nd gear starts,
on a downslope first, to get the feel of it,
then on the flat..

imo you should never be in neutral at lights etc..
always be in first gear, clutch in, ready..
its easy to change down into first
as you approach the lights, or, in second
then into first just as youre coming to rest..

all my honda road bikes started out with
'notchy' gearboxes, which seemed good to me,
and which became smoother over time..

as with everything, in riding a motorcycle,
actual, deliberate separate practicing,
of basic riding skills, pays dividends..

·
Banned
777 Posts
I've always said that Honda makes great engines, and Suzuki makes great gearboxes.
They should stuff a Suzuki gearbox on a Honda bike, and you've got the goods of both worlds.
Stuck shifter pedals isn't to CB300 alone.
Many same complaints have been made on the Honda Rebel 250 forums, CB 500 forums, and their VT series also were prone to stuck gear shifters (aka VT 600, 750, 1100 aero and Shadow Spirit lines).

Not sure if the issue still persists with the RS series, which are an updated, slightly smaller version of the VT series.

They seem to get more stuck when it's time for an oil change; so on the positive side, I usually change oil when the gear shifter stops working properly. That's usually between 2 and 3000 miles on the Rebel; used to be 3000 to 5000 miles on my VT750.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
I've always said that Honda makes great engines, and Suzuki makes great gearboxes.
They should stuff a Suzuki gearbox on a Honda bike, and you've got the goods of both worlds.
Must admit, the gearbox on my GSXR is better than the one on my CBR.
Your thoughts on this @AJ Nin ?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Somehow we've once again found ourselves talking about two distinctly different topics in in a single thread... looks like it's time for yet another thread/post split.

Let's see if we can keep this thread on the topic of gearboxes not shifting properly.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Strange experience today. I couldn't get out of neutral. I was at a stoplight and it wouldn't shift to 1st or even 2nd. I tried at least 5 times before it finally switched.

Ever since i took the bike in for a clutch adjustment, getting in neutral has been easy unlike the first 1 yr I had the bike. A common problem i heard in this forum.

the problem happened again when I pulled over just to test it but never again after riding for about 2 hours.

Anyone w/ similar experiences or advice? thanks
Have you tried the suggested cleaning and re-lubing of the shift pedal pivot shaft?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts