Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CB300F Lurching While Rolling Off clutch

Hello riders. Newb here with 1K miles in on my 300F and am having a problem with the bike while slowly rolling off the clutch. At times, the bike lurches a bit forward right at the time when exiting the friction zone of the clutch after shifting up. It feels like my clutch is still not fully engaged when I release the clutch completely. This happens mostly on lower gears. Any suggestions? Is this a clutch cable adjustment issue?:confused:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sticky clutch cable, notched basket, weak springs, I had something similar on a YBR125, when released the clutch it would slip then engage a split second later.
Check your clutch cable hasn't stretched and needs adjusting first.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input mark. Going to ride to the H.dealer in the weekend and see what they have to say. This was a demo bike I bought discounted with 200 miles on it. Clutch cable seems to be at specs. Hmm..

·
Registered
151 Posts
These bikes typically feel like they have two friction points, one where the clutch starts to grab and the second where it fully grabs. ( I know this isn't the actual case I'm trying to describe the feel). It sounds like your getting the first and releasing the clutch lever too fast for the rest of the travel. Something you need to get used to and practise for when you want to take off quickly. (It caught me off guard once or twice when I was first getting used to riding). Also once moving along in first you need to maintain some throttle and clutch manipulation to avoid looking like a dick as the bike gets pretty jerky.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Thanks for the input mark. Going to ride to the H.dealer in the weekend and see what they have to say. This was a demo bike I bought discounted with 200 miles on it. Clutch cable seems to be at specs. Hmm..
I wonder if a few of the perspective buyers were trying to see how good a wheelie bike it was... could be due to abuse.

I've had no issues with 250R or 300R clutches and haven't noticed the dual action that Youda refers to.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My clutch is fine so check cable again and lever, could be sticky plates , had that on the CG for a while then it cleared but usually shows itself from a cold start, stalls when first setting off then its fine all day.
If cable action is smooth then it could be a notched basket, as you release the clutch its smooth till the notch then the plates stick a bit and then the clutch springs force the plates and it grips again all in a fraction of a second, but that would take a bit of abuse.
Let us know what Honda says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These bikes typically feel like they have two friction points, one where the clutch starts to grab and the second where it fully grabs. ( I know this isn't the actual case I'm trying to describe the feel). It sounds like your getting the first and releasing the clutch lever too fast for the rest of the travel. Something you need to get used to and practise for when you want to take off quickly. (It caught me off guard once or twice when I was first getting used to riding). Also once moving along in first you need to maintain some throttle and clutch manipulation to avoid looking like a dick as the bike gets pretty jerky.
Yes, this! I assume its the lowest gear take offs screwing with me. Sometimes after a complete stop or slowing to a stop and go for a turn it does this. (I try avoiding first and staying on 2nd) I'm sure I just need practice clutch/throttle control on those lower gears while maintaining consistent speed gain . I hit the DMV lollipop test every weekend now and notice improvement.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
might help for another rider to check her out..
esp a cbr250/300r owner, just to compare..
of course the honda tech would also be good..

virtually everyone improves clutch and throttle
control and use with simple repetition..

firstly tho, rule out any warranty problems etc..
then carry on with regular riding practice
especially anything not [yet] smooth and easy..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts