Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a concern regarding the small open fitting on the front lower part of the engine. It is about 1/4" diameter and protrudes at a 90 degree angle across the front lower portion of the block, right in front of the oil filter. It looks like there should be a hose attached to it.

I have noticed that my cowl has some oil on it. After looking around i can only determine that this fitting is the source as there is some residue on it as well.

Could anyone provide some insight as to what this open fitting is?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Hello everyone. I have a concern regarding the small open fitting on the front lower part of the engine. It is about 1/4" diameter and protrudes at a 90 degree angle across the front lower portion of the block, right in front of the oil filter. It looks like there should be a hose attached to it.

I have noticed that my cowl has some oil on it. After looking around i can only determine that this fitting is the source as there is some residue on it as well.

Could anyone provide some insight as to what this open fitting is?
It's what's called a weep hole. There is no hose missing. It's purpose is to serve as an indicator should the water pump mechanical seal (or the oil seal behind the mechanical seal) fail. If you're only seeing a few drops of oil (or coolant), it's considered normal... if you're seeing a lot of oil or coolant, then it's in need of a seal replacement.

At this point the first thing to do is clean up that area of the cowl, and the weep hole. Then keep an eye on it to determine the extent of the leak.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's what's called a weep hole.
Great info, Mike.

Other riders have mentioned that there is more liquid after long runs at high rpms and usually after those runs do they see it for the first time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've discovered that my bike is leaking coolant from the weep hole. I'm monitoring the coolant level and the leak appears to be small.

Is there any possibility of a catastrophic failure of the water pump seal that would result in damage to the engine? If not, I will wait until this riding season is coming to an end before deciding whether to make a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One quick piece of advice I learned the hard way many years ago. Use Honda coolant only. Years ago I used Prestone antifreeze in my Goldwing (safe for all engines! the label said...). Wore out the mechanical seal. Prestone uses finely ground silicon added to the coolant - used to scour the coolant passages. Honda coolant does not contain silicon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One quick piece of advice I learned the hard way many years ago. Use Honda coolant only. Years ago I used Prestone antifreeze in my Goldwing (safe for all engines! the label said...). Wore out the mechanical seal. Prestone uses finely ground silicon added to the coolant - used to scour the coolant passages. Honda coolant does not contain silicon.
I topped up the reserve tank with what the owner's manual recommends: Pro Honda HP coolant.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts