Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, slowing winterizing my bike when i get the chance, im curious to know if the radiator is cooled with water, or a coolent, as well dose anyone have a video/ instructions on emptying the radiator

Zac

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
You can use any automotive coolant, as long as it is compatible for use in an aluminum engine. To drain the radiator, you just disconnect the radiator hose where it connects to the pump housing on the right side of the engine. Though there is no reason to drain the coolant for winter storage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use any automotive coolant, as long as it is compatible for use in an aluminum engine. To drain the radiator, you just disconnect the radiator hose where it connects to the pump housing on the right side of the engine. Though there is no reason to drain the coolant for winter storage.
really? i had read if you're storing your bike in an area where it will see -0 tempitures to drain the radiator, only if its water cooled, but i guess you answered my question if its water cooled or coolant

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
really? i had read if you're storing your bike in an area where it will see -0 tempitures to drain the radiator, only if its water cooled, but i guess you answered my question if its water cooled or coolant
Where did you read that?

The term 'water cooled' is a misnomer... engines don't use straight water.

The standard 50/50 automotive anti-freeze/coolant mix should be good to at least -40 F... cars and trucks in northern climates have to be able to operate in -0 F temps (as do liquid cooled snowmobiles).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you read that?

The term 'water cooled' is a misnomer... engines don't use straight water.

The standard 50/50 automotive anti-freeze/coolant mix should be good to at least -40 F... cars and trucks in northern climates have to be able to operate in -0 F temps (as do liquid cooled snowmobiles).
i appreciate the advice, i had watched a video about winterizing your motorbike, and they had mentioned if its water cooled, to remove the water out of the radiator as it could crack the radiator if it gets subzero tempters, then i was confused as i hadn't heard that bikes use water cooled radiators, so i tried to google it then i came to the forums!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Mike, can any color coolant be used? Either mixed or after the original (Honda's) has been flushed?
Also, I would think Honda's is glycol based, can organic coolant be used instead? Do they all have some form of glycol? Propylene or Ethylene? The organic states it is for use in aluminum and magnesium applications.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Mike, can any color coolant be used? Either mixed or after the original (Honda's) has been flushed?
Also, I would think Honda's is glycol based, can organic coolant be used instead? Do they all have some form of glycol? Propylene or Ethylene? The organic states it is for use in aluminum and magnesium applications.
I myself prefer not to mix different types/brands of coolants. But yeah, after flushing the cooling system any brand of coolant which states it's compatible with aluminum is fine to use.

Reactions: mikal
1 - 7 of 7 Posts