Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can also fit an R6 shock onto the CBR300. There's documentation on the CBR250 forums about it. Note that due to the piggyback cartridge part you will need to shave off a bit of the frame. i2i measurement should be 295-296mm on the CBR300 shock IIRC.
Thank you for the information on the factory shock length. I've looked in to the R6 as well not sure I want to notch my frame. The R6 shock has the same travel as stock but is a much better shock from what I've read.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thank you for the information on the factory shock length. I've looked in to the R6 as well not sure I want to notch my frame. The R6 shock has the same travel as stock but is a much better shock from what I've read.
Going from a "monotube" shock to a shock with a piggyback cartridge on my mountain bike was a night and day difference, at least when riding downhill. I get better/more consistent damping control, and less "heat fade"/heat build up on long descents. Of course when I'm going downhill I'm loading and unloading the shock much more than you would riding on the street normally. I think the only time you'd load it as much or more is if you're riding twisties or at a track day.

I've seen some shocks for the CBR with "remote cartridges" as opposed to the connected piggyback like the stock R6 shock, Ohlins and YSS come to mind.

I also forgot to mention, there is a "no cut" method for the R6 shock install which is also detailed on the CBR250 forums. Doing it that way will clear it without the need to cut. Yamaha R6 shock into CBR250(how I did it)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I want to say thanks to Tier1 for the links and give everyone an update. I went ahead with the R6 shock install, I decided to use the r6 upper mount because I could add the needed spacers while still having adequate length for the nut. The r6 stud is also significantly larger in diameter, this required enlarging the hole in the frame to fit the stud. Before I installed the shock I set all the adjustments to the center setting by counting the all clicks and halfing that number. 1st impressions are night and day difference the r6 shock absorbs all minor road imperfections, even on some well driven gravel roads the shock makes it seem like you still on pavement. All in all for about $90 invested I couldn't bee happier, now I just need to get my Shinko 705s mounted and I'll be ready to eat some gravel in the coming months

21 - 23 of 23 Posts