Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a used CB300f or CB300r and am not sure if the upgrades on the "r" version are really worth the extra price. I can get a pretty clean 5 or 6 year old "f" with around 20k kms for about $2,000 (can), a 3 year old pretty clean "r" with the same mileage is about $3,000 (can). Is the newer model worth the extra $$$$?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
I've only ridden the CBR300R but I'd go for the R model for another $1000. Much lighter bike and has better suspension plus looks better IMO.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have 2021 CB300R and a few years back had a CB300F so I can do a comparison-short answer not a lot of difference except for styling I think the R is way better looking- I can't feel the weight difference nor the supposed power increase but the handling is much quicker- the F got a lot better after I preloaded the front end an extra 10 mm-with the 300R the gas tank is smaller so gas every 150 miles or so low fuel light comes on at about 165 miles 78 mpg-so I say if you can find a nice low miles F that doesn't have any recalls go for it --it's not worth the extra to get the R unless you like the styling with those cool looking front forks with the radical mounted brake-one other thing the seat on the R is 1" longer and cruves up in the front -which I like

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also let me mention this- your size does matter-I'm 5'11" 200 lbs I didn't fit well when I first got the F so I lowered the pegs- raised the bars- lengthened the seat and extended the shift lever all one inch--all this is not on the R Honda did all this for you I fit fine on the R as is no mods necessary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am only 5'7" so I am sure I should fit on either. I am kinda thinking that for me it is a bit of a coin toss. While I prefer the updated styling on the R, I am not sure an extra $1,000 is worth it for that alone. I am not a huge fan of inverted forks at this price point as I would prefer the extra $$$ was spent on better internals. Upgraded brakes are important to me especially as I will likely be doing some mtn riding and while I might not be pushing it too hard I would have some long/steep declines and I don't want have to overdo the engine breaking on curvy declines with a loaded bike. I wasn't aware of the reduced tank size and while that isn't a huge concern it is definitely worth noting. Lighter is always better but so long as the bike is well balanced and the weight isn't too high the extra weight isn't a show stopper either. So far it sounds like other than not buying a recall year bike it is more a matter of finding the best deal than necessarily ruling either model out. I am unwilling to buy a bike from 2015 or 2016 as I don't trust the seller to be honest about if they had it done or not and in my area I also don't trust the smaller shops ability to do a proper bottom end job. One thing I want to check is if the R has a slipper clutch which would be nice though again at this displacement likely not a huge deal. Thanks again Mr. Kiwi and Mr. Motor.

·
Registered
270 Posts
No it doesn't have a slipper clutch but you will not miss it-it's only a 300 not alot of off throttle back drag and they do shift very good without it

·
Registered
2015 CB300F
28 Posts
Seating is far more upright on the F which counts if you are touring. I have a larger 20-27L tank bag that gives me enough space for 2-4 day trips. I added a Puig screen, 1" up and back risers.
Love the low cost of riding. Crazy good mpg.

Bike keeps up with the limited trafic speeds here. ( never more than 110 real - 120 indicated )
Mostly 80-90 kph. Little tank bag hold camera gear and a few other bits and fits in the topcase.
Cupholder and phone holder completes the dash tho TPMS is coming.

I'm 5'8 250 lb and 30" inseam. Easy flatfoot. $2000 for one of these is a steal.

Reactions: Sanuk Canuck
1 - 9 of 9 Posts