Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowed down my first bike to either the CB300F or the CRF250L...pros and cons to each? Looking for a good all around bike to commute and get excellent gas mileage. What can the CB300F do that the dual sport cant? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you were buying a car, you'd be wondering whether you should buy a Toyota Corolla or a Mazda MX-5.......

·
Banned
777 Posts
CB300F Pro:
- More HP, means faster
- More torque, means more acceleration
- Cheaper
- Made for the streets
- Better seat
- Lower seat height, easier to mount
- Harder suspension, (tuned for speeds of 100MPH tops; I find it is great from speeds of 45MPH and onwards) more stable at higher speeds and turns.
- Fuel injection
- Better sounding

CRF250L pros:
- Softer suspension, which is tuned for lower speeds (75-80MPH tops, I find it comfortable for speeds of 20MPH onwards)
- More suspension travel, for deeper potholes, and better stability offroad.
- Made more for offroad than for streets
- Easier to gear for even better MPG (100+ MPG US possible)
- Lighter weight
- Carbureted, meaning easier engine to fix.

If you ask me, the CRF250L is overpriced. The engine is less powerful, less fast, and older technology, not made for interstate riding, and occasional highway riding.
They should shave $2k off the price to make it competitive with the CB300F.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
CRF250L pros:
- Softer suspension, which is tuned for lower speeds (75-80MPH tops, I find it comfortable for speeds of 20MPH onwards)
- More suspension travel, for deeper potholes, and better stability offroad.
- Made more for offroad than for streets
- Easier to gear for even better MPG (100+ MPG US possible)
- Lighter weight
- Carbureted, meaning easier engine to fix.

If you ask me, the CRF250L is overpriced. The engine is less powerful, less fast, and older technology, not made for interstate riding, and occasional highway riding.
They should shave $2k off the price to make it competitive with the CB300F.
MeeLee, the CRF250L is not 'older technology'. It is fuel injected, not carbureted, equipped with the same basic EFI system as the CBR250R, CBR300R, and CB300F have. But your comment "Carbureted, meaning easier engine to fix." isn't true either. Obviously, a carburetor is simpler to work on than an EFI system. But there is no difference between rebuilding or repairing an engine, regardless of whether it has a carb or an EFI throttle body.

It shares the same engine as the CBR250R, which is the very same engine that the 300's were derived from. So again, it is not 'older technology'.

Secondly, the MSRP difference between the CRF250L ($4999) and the CB300F ($3999) is exactly $1000 USD. And it's not hard to see the differences which account for that $1000 price difference... the CRF250L has a number of more expensive components, like traditional wire spoke wheel assembles (typically at least twice the cost of cast aluminum wheels), aluminum swing arm, and USD front forks.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR and mikal

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
In the supermarket today, apples were more expensive than cheddar cheese. Clearly, that supermarket doesn't know what it's doing.

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Registered
447 Posts
You must be tall if you are looking at the supermoto. I would say the CB300F will be a smoother ride since it's a street bike and comes with street tires. It will do highway speeds better than the 250. The seat is probably more comfortable on the CB300F too. That would be an easy choice for me since I never go off road anymore. I haven't ridden a supermoto. It's all I can do to climb on them at 5'7". The small increase in displacement alone would be enough to convince me to go with the 300. Still, get the bike that you want since both will do what you want even if they are so different.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
The CRF250L is not a "SuperMoto" (aka SuperMotard or Motard), rather it is simply a Dual Sport bike. Honda did offer a Motard version of the bike, called the CRF250M in the UK and some of the Asian markets, however it was not sold in the U.S. The only difference between the two variants is the wheel diameter... the L model has a 21" front wheel and a 18" rear wheel with D/S tires, whereas the M has 17" front and rear wheels with street tires.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So you are saying out of the two bikes of discussion, one is an economy car while the other is a sports car? I'm not seeing it.
Not exactly, just that they are so different they belong in two completely seperate market segments and do not compete.

I would imagine the CRF is great off road and pretty awful as a road bike, whereas the 300F makes a great road bike and a lousy off road bike - chalk and cheese. That's not to say you couldn't commute on a CRF or take to the trails on a 300F, but you'd have to be pretty determined to do it!

I would also posit that you are some way off figuring out which is the right bike for you if you are looking at such diverse machines.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have both bikes...just sold my crf250l in April. The suspension on the crf on street is fantastic even better then my Ohlin/racetech cb300, for dirt it sucks, little too soft and most important damping rate sucks. Power on the 300 is WAY more then the crf. For commute and general street use go with the 300, unless you'll be hitting up dirt/gravel roads lots then crf. Height on the CRF isn' that bad, I have 300" inseam and fit it fine, that little bit less weight makes a big difference.

Once again ML=

·
Banned
777 Posts
I have both bikes...just sold my crf250l in April. The suspension on the crf on street is fantastic even better then my Ohlin/racetech cb300, for dirt it sucks, little too soft and most important damping rate sucks. Power on the 300 is WAY more then the crf. For commute and general street use go with the 300, unless you'll be hitting up dirt/gravel roads lots then crf. Height on the CRF isn' that bad, I have 300" inseam and fit it fine, that little bit less weight makes a big difference.

Once again ML=
I fail to see where, mister troll,
Especially since you said exactly what I said.

Except this time you

·
Banned
777 Posts
MeeLee, the CRF250L is not 'older technology'. It is fuel injected, not carbureted, equipped with the same basic EFI system as the CBR250R, CBR300R, and CB300F have. But your comment "Carbureted, meaning easier engine to fix." isn't true either. Obviously, a carburetor is simpler to work on than an EFI system. But there is no difference between rebuilding or repairing an engine, regardless of whether it has a carb or an EFI throttle body.

It shares the same engine as the CBR250R, which is the very same engine that the 300's were derived from. So again, it is not 'older technology'.

Secondly, the MSRP difference between the CRF250L ($4999) and the CB300F ($3999) is exactly $1000 USD. And it's not hard to see the differences which account for that $1000 price difference... the CRF250L has a number of more expensive components, like traditional wire spoke wheel assembles (typically at least twice the cost of cast aluminum wheels), aluminum swing arm, and USD front forks.
My apologies,
Whatever spec sheet I pulled up from the Honda website earlier today, showed SOHC with carburetor, no idea what happened. The one I load up now says indeed DOHC with efi.
Well, at least the rest is correct. I much prefer cast wheels over spoked.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Horses for courses. What course do you want your horse for?
For my style of riding a dual sport would be better, as I like to go for country rides, besides commuting. A lot of the country roads (I ride on) are not paved. Also, our streets can sport some big potholes. Plus, you can get better pannier support system for the dual sport. I went for the 300F because it has ABS brakes. That was my big thing.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Hmm Just in my opinion but there's quite a difference between the 2. Either you are a street rider only, or you are also planning on doing a little dirt/gravel/offroad driving as well. The answer should be pretty simple depending on where you plan on riding the bike.
Well put.

I'll add that the CRF250L is a bike which will be fine for urban/suburban street use (especially where the paved roads are in rough condition). Obviously it would not be an ideal choice where a significant amount of riding will be at highway/freeway speeds.

As a "casual use" off road bike the CRF250L is certainly up to the task, more so if equipped with better DOT legal knobby tires. However, as DaBinChe pointed out, the CRF's stock suspension is the piece that's really lacking if the intention is to do more aggressive off road riding... it's definitely not in the same league as the stock WP suspension of a bike like the KTM EXC350 (which is also nearly twice the MSRP of the CRF250L).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys, basically I was set to get either a 300r or a 300f then decided the 300f would be the better way to go for a commuter, based off of research. Then I start looking into the crf250l (which is pretty similar to the 300f specs wise) and hear how its such a great bike on the streets which led me to question what the 300f offers over the crf, which could also double as an off roader. That was the point of the thread, trying to find what the 300f does that the crf250l does not. A lot of conflicting replies here so looks like my best bet is to try and test ride both if at all possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Well guys, basically I was set to get either a 300r or a 300f then decided the 300f would be the better way to go for a commuter, based off of research. Then I start looking into the crf250l (which is pretty similar to the 300f specs wise) and hear how its such a great bike on the streets which led me to question what the 300f offers over the crf, which could also double as an off roader. That was the point of the thread, trying to find what the 300f does that the crf250l does not. A lot of conflicting replies here so looks like my best bet is to try and test ride both if at all possible.
Hands down the 300F is much better suited for highway use, particularly for longer distance rides at highway speeds. For that kind of riding the CRF would be a poor choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hands down the 300F is much better suited for highway use, particularly for longer distance rides at highway speeds. For that kind of riding the CRF would be a poor choice.
If the crf250l was fitted with some 80/20 tires would that close the gap between it and the 300f on the highway?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts