Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy my first bike and I'm stuck between a 2019 cbr300r and the 2019 cb300r. Financially, the cbr makes more sense but I just love how the cb looks. I live in a large metropolitan area where almost any ride >20min requires the use of a freeway. I've rode my friend's cbr on the freeway (75-85mph) and it handled it pretty well. How does the cb handle at/around these speeds? (vibrations, wind on a naked bike, top speed, any other major differences) My main concern is the lack of fairings on the cb (because it is a naked bike) and how it affects the performance of the bike at higher speeds (65+ mph).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't speak for the CB300R...but I do have it's predecessor the 300F and I cruise on the highway 80-85mph almost every day with no issue. Vibrations IMO are minimal. I have a windscreen on mine which certainly helps keep the wind from pounding my chest.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is not a very significant difference between the 2 models as far as vibration/fuel economy. If you prefer the looks of the naked then buy the naked. The naked is also easier to change the oil and other maintenance tasks because you dont have to bother removing the fairing.

The main thing is if you will be taking very long Highway rides. I mean greater than 1 hour each way. If that is the case then the wind will beat you up and fatigue you on the naked when compared to a sportbike. A sport-bike is DESIGNED for the highway as its principal task. That is the main thing, if your riding is going to be greater than 80% highway then the sportbike is a better choice.

I bought the naked (a 2016) because its cheaper, its easier to work on and because I prefer the more upright sitting posture. Either bike is a perfect City Bike for Big Cities with terrible traffic. Its so skinny and nimble that a Hooligan can carve thru rush hour traffic like a hot knife thru butter if you are okay with breaking some traffic laws (like me). Heh-Heh. I get home in 20 minutes compared to a car that takes 1 hour to make that same journey. And that is with never exceeding a speed of 85 mph. The time savings are not from SPEEDING but rather from riding the shoulder, splitting lanes and so forth. Regardless of the gridlock, I dont drop under 20 mph even if all the cars are at a dead stop. Heh-Heh

·
Registered
297 Posts
The naked versions are objectively slightly worse on the highway, in my mind for two reasons: Lack of fairings and the upright riding position. For me, for my body type, my 300F just felt too upright and the most natural position had me catching a lot of wind. Tucking down was do-able but felt cramped. Now, the actual difference between the two on the highway might be negligible for a person, depending on a whole range of other factors. Either bike will cruise at highway speeds all day long.

From user experiences here, it sounds like the naked version (of the old bike) cedes a few mph top speed, and takes a bit longer to get there. (Acceleration toward redline is very leisurely either way.)

Should note: The new CB300R has some significant updates (include weight savings) versus the former CB300F so some / all of this comparison might be moot.

You can compare the ergos of the naked and faired versions of the 300 here (believe 2015 CB300F is similar ergos to the 2019 CB300R): Motorcycle Ergonomics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts