Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Most motorcycles won't come from the factory with a battery tender pigtail... but it's a common practice to install one as the bike is prepped at the Dealer.. The Dealer needs to easily maintain the battery charge on multiple bikes as they sit on the showroom floor waiting on a new owner. The pig-tails are a minimal cost at roughly $8 - $12 US, and I'm sure the Dealer just passes along the cost when the bike is sold.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over here the bikes don't get prepped until they're sold. So the dealers typically won't install the pig tails as there is no upside for them. If anything, the incentive is to not install them, so as to make you a little more reliant on the dealer because your bike is a little harder to self maintain. Wanted to make a guide to help people get past that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nice work on the how-to video. For the past year during Covid, showrooms have been bare. So bikes are prepped and displayed as soon as they're unloaded. Months ago, I laughed at my Dealer's website comment that they were taking deposits for in-coming inventory. Not any more. Inventory is slow to arrive, most popular models are already sold before they hit the sales floor. And I'm still seeing full MSRP prices on 2020 inventory of the slow moving models left over. This looks to be a costly year to purchase. So, I'll go ahead and order those replacement tires after all. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
Wow, I didnt realise the battery was such a $hit to get to on the CB300R, way bad design. Would make jump starting a panful process. Good idea adding the extension lead for a tender.

Reactions: adri

·
Registered
59 Posts
Throwing in a late comment, install the longest cable you can get. I have a short cable on my FZ07 and have to remove the seat to charge the battery. The seat is held by two small bolts that are a pain to line up with their threaded holes in the frame. I used a 16" cable on the CB300R and passed it forward under the tank and up to the handlebars using throttle cables and clutch cable to restrain it. Very easy to get to. Using a longer cable on the FZ might involve some plastic trimming to fish the cable out to a more accessible location but I'm not crazy about hacking up my bikes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just noticed this post should ideally be in the 'BATTERY PLACEMENT ON CB300R' post. The two posts could be combined.

When I got my CB300R I knew I would have to install some way to a) charge the battery with my Ctek charger and b) get a 12 volt supply for my heated grips, DRLs, TomTom and USB. Got to the battery and fixed pair of cables to run under the tank to the side of the air intake under the seat. The cables are inside a protective sheath. These were terminated at a midi link fuse holder.
12V 24V VOLT HEAVY DUTY MIDI STRIP LINK FUSE HOLDER KIT
Toy Automotive wheel system Camera accessory Auto part Cameras & optics

This was stuck down and gave a remote feed from the battery. I then picked up power supplies as required from this. Alarm is wired direct + and -. A positive feed taken from holder through relay to a 4 way fuse box. Power to activate relay is from rear tail light. All accessories are taken from the fuse box for their positive and everything comes to a common earth ( ground for you chaps in US.:oops:) in a connector block. My battery tender lead is direct onto the HD fuse holder. I also ran a tail/stop light circuit via a cable with an inline plug to go to a LED stop/tail light on my topbox as with a rear carrier and topbox it can be difficult to see the rear light if the vehicle behind is very close and the driver is high up (HGV etc).
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Rectangle

4 way fuse box.
Wiring through a relay and fusebox means all extras (lights,grips, GPS etc) are running directly from the battery and each one is independently fused. No undue power on harness cables.
Wiring diagram. This might help someone.
Rectangle Schematic Font Slope Parallel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry Gromit. This thread seemed to be the logical place to post that comment of mine at the time. If the moderators want to move it, that's fine with me. To me, based on your schematic and photo, it appears that you have a wiring fetish.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts