Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were considering getting a CBR500 in lieu of buying the CBR300, you might want to think again. Honda is recalling 2013 CB500 family bikes all over the world.

The problem centers around some bolts which may not have received the proper anti-corrosion treatment and as a result, they could come loose. That could lead to oil leaks, which can lead to engine malfunction and excessive wear. The motorcycles could suffer from a loss of power and even stalling, increasing the risk of crashing, and horrible fiery death.

The bikes affected by the recall are 2013 model year CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X machines, in the CB500FD/FAD/XD/XAD,CBR500RD/RAD families.

I'm starting to think about looking into another brand... Delays and recalls are just not the look.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
If you were considering getting a CBR500 in lieu of buying the CBR300, you might want to think again. Honda is recalling 2013 CB500 family bikes all over the world.

The problem centers around some bolts which may not have received the proper anti-corrosion treatment and as a result, they could come loose. That could lead to oil leaks, which can lead to engine malfunction and excessive wear. The motorcycles could suffer from a loss of power and even stalling, increasing the risk of crashing, and horrible fiery death.

The bikes affected by the recall are 2013 model year CBR500R, CB500F and CB500X machines, in the CB500FD/FAD/XD/XAD,CBR500RD/RAD families.

I'm starting to think about looking into another brand... Delays and recalls are just not the look.
... horrible fiery death. Hmm... that might be taking it a bit far.

This is the notice on the AHMC Powersports website: RECALL --2013 CB500F, CB500X, CBR500R - IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE - Honda Powersports

·
Registered
532 Posts

Not for anything but would you rather they kept things quiet and under the rug? Who else are you going to with that can offer you the same kind of track record as Honda?

agreed with mike, horrible fiery death is a bit far. Theres guys with 600RR's who had seen a similar issue back in 2010, not oil leaks but stalling while riding, you should be able to keep it rubber side down so long as your not hammering through a curve...

here's a quip from 600rr.net

I will be riding and randomly without any prior symptoms or bumps in the road and the motor cuts out. (oil light comes on but I have plenty and freshly changed) clock and trips all stay correct.

I pull the clutch in and let it out and it starts right back up. (this has happened going 5, 40, 65 and once at 80mph going around a corner and about put me down...)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Its strange with recall because you have to give the company credit for taking responsibility, but ideally there should be no reason to recall a vehicle or bike if quality is up to standard in the first place.

Yamaha gets the best grades for reliability. And that's measured by the least problems per 100 units.

I would say that is a better bet as far as reliability goes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Its strange with recall because you have to give the company credit for taking responsibility, but ideally there should be no reason to recall a vehicle or bike if quality is up to standard in the first place.

Yamaha gets the best grades for reliability. And that's measured by the least problems per 100 units.

I would say that is a better bet as far as reliability goes.
yea but the thing you also have to consider is volume. I know the measurement is per 100 units, but if you're pumping out 10,000 units as opposed to 1,000 units there is going to be far more variance in the batch of 10,000 than in the batch of 1,000...

·
Registered
707 Posts
yea but the thing you also have to consider is volume. I know the measurement is per 100 units, but if you're pumping out 10,000 units as opposed to 1,000 units there is going to be far more variance in the batch of 10,000 than in the batch of 1,000...
that is true, not as easy to control quality on 10k vs 1k.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
The thing to keep in mind, particularly with a recall for this type of problem, is how often words such as potential, could, may occur, can lead to, possibly, etc. are used when describing what possibly could happen. What I'm saying is this... for all we know, there are likely plenty of Honda 500's running around that have not lost a single drop of oil as a result of these bolts that possibly "may not" have the proper anti-corrosion treatment. If this were really some catastrophic issue, with engines being blown to smithereens left and right, and scores of unsuspecting riders dying horrible, fiery deaths on highways all across the globe... I'm pretty sure we would have heard Brian Williams talking about it on the NBC Nightly News. Thank goodness that has not come to pass. :rolleyes:

The bottom line here is that Honda is on top of the issue, and will be replacing these bolts (whether the bikes these "defective" bolts are installed on are actually leaking oil, or not).

Also worth noting here is that Honda does not manufacture the bolts, nuts, screws, and other fasteners used on it's motorcycles and cars. Honda specifies and then purchases these fasteners from outside vendors. It's no different than some of the other parts and components used on Honda motorcycles... forks & shocks are manufactured by Showa, fuel injection systems are made by Keihin, drive chains are made by RK or DID, brake systems are manufactured by Nissin Brake Ltd... the list goes on.

As to overall Honda quality... in my opinion Honda Motor Co. is, has been for many decades now, among a relative handful of global manufacturing companies who set the standards for quality products, and at the end of the day continue to enjoy the admiration of the rest of the industrial manufacturing world.

Keeping things in perspective is always a good thing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The thing to keep in mind, particularly with a recall for this type of problem, is how often words such as potential, could, may occur, can lead to, possibly, etc. are used when describing what possibly could happen. What I'm saying is this... for all we know, there are likely plenty of Honda 500's running around that have not lost a single drop of oil as a result of these bolts that possibly "may not" have the proper anti-corrosion treatment. If this were really some catastrophic issue, with engines being blown to smithereens left and right, and scores of unsuspecting riders dying horrible, fiery deaths on highways all across the globe... I'm pretty sure we would have heard Brian Williams talking about it on the NBC Nightly News. Thank goodness that has not come to pass. :rolleyes:

The bottom line here is that Honda is on top of the issue, and will be replacing these bolts (whether the bikes these "defective" bolts are installed on are actually leaking oil, or not).

Also worth noting here is that Honda does not manufacture the bolts, nuts, screws, and other fasteners used on it's motorcycles and cars. Honda specifies and then purchases these fasteners from outside vendors. It's no different than some of the other parts and components used on Honda motorcycles... forks & shocks are manufactured by Showa, fuel injection systems are made by Keihin, drive chains are made by RK or DID, brake systems are manufactured by Nissin Brake Ltd... the list goes on.

As to overall Honda quality... in my opinion Honda Motor Co. is, has been for many decades now, among a relative handful of global manufacturing companies who set the standards for quality products, and at the end of the day continue to enjoy the admiration of the rest of the industrial manufacturing world.

Keeping things in perspective is always a good thing.
well and its not even the bolts that are in question, but the loc tite that was NOT applied to them...

and im assuming its Loctite because a rusted bolt is likely to come loose said no one ever ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
well and its not even the bolts that are in question, but the loc tite that was NOT applied to them...

and im assuming its Loctite because a rusted bolt is likely to come loose said no one ever ;)
It's not a Loctite issue... it is the actual plating or coating that is applied to the bolts in question during the manufacturing process. The recall is to have these bolts replaced.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this have to do with where manufacturing is taking place? Are there quality control issues where they produce these bikes? Are they made in China?

You just have to question whether it's an isolated problem or is a sign of greater issues with Honda's manufacturing process.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Does this have to do with where manufacturing is taking place? Are there quality control issues where they produce these bikes? Are they made in China?...
All CBR500R's as well as the other 500cc variants are produced in Thailand, by Thai Honda Mfg. Co... these are the same factories that build the CBR250R and the yet to be released CBR300R.

As far as this issue with the valve cover bolts that are the subject of the recall, read the third paragraph from my previous post, which I quoted below...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Isn't that Honda Thailand plant where the Grom is built at?
As far as i am aware the msx125 is built in thailand, not sure if the have more than 1 honda factory there.

Just to add to this thread, i finally passed my mod 2 and am very happy to be the owner of a cbr500r.

The recall service was completed on my new(ish / ex-demo) bike 2 hours before I picked it up and , according to the dealers the new bolt/etc took 20 mins to fit.

It's a really nice bike and one **** of a step up for me from the msx125.

·
Registered
707 Posts
As far as i am aware the msx125 is built in thailand, not sure if the have more than 1 honda factory there.

Just to add to this thread, i finally passed my mod 2 and am very happy to be the owner of a cbr500r.

The recall service was completed on my new(ish / ex-demo) bike 2 hours before I picked it up and , according to the dealers the new bolt/etc took 20 mins to fit.

It's a really nice bike and one **** of a step up for me from the msx125.
Thanks, I had a feeling that would be it. If there is a facility outside of thailand im thinking it could be in the U.S.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts