Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I ride this bike the less I like it. While its defintely more fun than my scooter and overall has been a good time, there is just a lot i am not liking about it.

-I have a brand new bike and finding neutral is annoying to say the least. ( an experience rider tried my bike and told me i need to take it back to the dealer to get that fixed becuase it didn't feel right.) I tried his bike a CBR 650f and finding neutral and shifting was ultra smooth. I can literally never find it shifting up from 1st, only down from 2nd.

-Bike occaisionally gets stuck in neurtral by accident when shifting. Makes horrible noise when trying to get out of it.

-The tires on this bike suck..Even a bit of oil or water and the bike starts hydroplaning.

- This bike is weak.. its okay for the city, but when you have trouble beating 150cc scooters off the line its a bit much...Yea it gets moving after 2 gear but the bike overall just needs more hp. Wishing I got the ninja or R3 right about now.

- No room for carrying anything really,,aka you must wear a backpack if you need to take stuff with you,

Overall i would give this bike a 6-10...The styling is the best thing about it, really beautfiul bike, but I am already thinking about getting something better. I know everybody here is CBR fanboys but I am just telling you my honest opinion about my bike.

What do you guys love about your bike?

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Did you test ride this bike at all? Because all of these things you mention should have been evident to you then before purchasing it.

Regarding the lack of carrying room: Its a motorcycle.... you wont find any more room on a Ninja or an R3

AND they both have the budget bias-ply tires that don't seem to meet your expectations.

If however you do give this bike a second chance you will probably find the gearbox becomes more compliant with age. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The bikes shift fine. It takes some finesse, but that's operator, not machinery.

I have no problem finding neutral at any point.

So you can't find neutral when you want to, but find it often when you don't? Clearly you're doing something wrong.

The engine was revving too much when you tried to put it in gear. Every bike will make that sound.

No space? Come on.

With a 0-60 time of about 6-7 seconds, the bike is quicker from 0-60 than a 2012 Shadow in fact, it's quicker than nearly every cruiser and touring motorcycle in the Honda line up.

My honest opinion? Quit trolling.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't help but wonder if you just got the (bad)luck of the draw with your bike. The gears on mine work just fine. I don't find myself looking for neutral all that much, except when I pull the bike out of the garage or into a parking space. Otherwise, I can find it just fine. A lot of times they make that transition to neutral sensitive so that every time you are shifting between first and second you don't accidentally end up in neutral.

I don't really know what to tell you about the speed/power of the bike. I guess people value different things. Some guys like to gun it off the line. I chose the bike because it is fun to ride. I rode the 650f at the dealership, and you are right that it is really smooth, but I honestly was bored by the bike. There was nothing particularly exciting about it.

But hey, you don't need to explain yourself to any of us. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tires suck but cheap and easy to change in Bangkok (if i remember correctly you are living here too) Take a visit tohttp://www.29tire.com/?lang=en They have shop here in BKK

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
long response, bottom line, correct technique, warranty,
learn how to ride your motorcycle, few hints,,
otherwise, just scroll on bye :)

take it to the dealer, explain your concerns about finding neutral
and making noise etc, ask for a tech to take it for a ride
to check for gear selection..

if there is some problem it comes under warranty..

that said tho, there is this complaint from some owners
of cbr250r/cbr300r which has been a predictable
concern of some, riders, these past 4yrs on cbr250r forum
and now here.. not trying to downplay youre experiences,
[whoever is reading this], yet, as in everything, there is
a right way and a better way and a more effective way of,
doing - anything - including changing gears..

giving hints here is just repeating the same things over again,
but basically, it will be harder to find neutral the harder you
press on the lever.. the lighter your touch, the easier and better..

i use neutral rarely, as once riding my motorcycle i generally
continue to ride it, which includes, pausing at lights etc,
in first,, until parking her at home or wherever..
then, such as returning home not long ago,
after slowing then clutching at the last section
and backing into her park, i specifically recall
touching, the lever, with the lightest touch,
causing neutral light to shine..

this is just one example of a general reality..
the bike has less than 400km up..
hondas are made to last, and designed well
by the top engine maker of them all..
part of that includes wearing in periods
which are longer than some other bikes..

if, for some reason you find yourself in first or
second stationary, and need to enter neutral
or vice versa , and it doesnt happen at a touch,
simply begin to release the clutch,, just a little,
with a touch more revs to suit, then back in,
and try again, with a touch..

there can be a slight misalignment including with
the locator responsible for triggering that light,
which wont respond to being stomped on or
pushed hard [!] this is not a design fault,
and would be similar on that cbr650f, etc..

this may seem irrelevant to you at this moment
some bloke telling you its ok, just touch it, etc,
but from my point of view, having heard it all before,
including responses from owners who realised
they were part of it [stomping on the lever etc]
and reporting back their new found success..
[check out search box, cbr250r forum
with a ling thru this sister forum]

this is my 6th road honda, all working motorcycles
and lifestyle, and one generality is that they
get better with age.. smoother etc..
given, normal maintenance etc..

as for being beaten off the mark by scooters,
even tho there are 400cc scoots etc, my habit
is to always filter to the front whenever possible,
thus typically starting between cars or in the bus
lane, incl often into single lane roads or roads with
cars parked etc.. even when some prawn decided
to out sprint me in his tin box, neither my 250
or this 300 have ever failed to easily, beat
all of them off the mark and into the safe zone..

in a short sharp overtake today without a lot of room
to play with she lifted the front wheel [slightly]
even with good progressive clutch release
together with not excessive revs..

this bike is lightweight within its class,
and has access to its torque, which is also good
even with other similar bikes with higher hp,
and has high first gear suitable for starting
on steep slopes etc..

if youre not getting usable performance from her
may i suggest finding a nice traffic free area
and going for rolling wheelies, and so on..
start easily, progressively adding revs etc
to see what she can, do..
not just lamenting what you think
she cant do..

if you couldnt be bothered learning easy
gear changing or effective take offs,
and if the motorcycle is working ok,
theres a world of motorcycles out there...

just go get one that makes you happy...
they will all need to be learned tho,
to get their true potential, just as even top
motogp riders need to learn new bikes
before riding to the bikes potential..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also wish this bike was faster, but I don't think my wallet could afford Honda reliability plus best in class zoom-zoom. It's the auto triangle my friend. Cheap, reliable, and fast - pick two.

Everything else you said just seems like you are making excuses to get another bike. In that case, you should sell your cbr300 and get a liter bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
From a thread you started yesterday...

I rode my bike about 150 km from Bangkok to Pattaya this weekend for a trip.

Great fun!

Top speed I hit was 173km/hr.

On the highway this bike was fantastic, 6th gear really is nice from 110km-160km it moves smoothly. More than enough power, I was blowing by cars and having a blast.

at 120 km/hr you are around 7.75k RPM, 130km/hr around 8k RPM.

Negatives from the trip:

Bike felt a little light and wind gusts were something to take note of.

My friend who rode with me has a cbr 650f, and I tested his bike.

It made me realize how bad the gearing on the 300r is. While his bike is ultra smooth shifting and finding neutral, the 300r finding neutral at times is impossible. Also the 300r is a bit jumpy in some of the gears.

Overall, the trip was a blast, the 300r handled awesome on the highway.

So far my thoughts on the bike are mostly positive.

To this new thread opening post today (what a difference a day makes)...

The more I ride this bike the less I like it. While its defintely more fun than my scooter and overall has been a good time, there is just a lot i am not liking about it.

-I have a brand new bike and finding neutral is annoying to say the least. ( an experience rider tried my bike and told me i need to take it back to the dealer to get that fixed becuase it didn't feel right.) I tried his bike a CBR 650f and finding neutral and shifting was ultra smooth. I can literally never find it shifting up from 1st, only down from 2nd.

-Bike occaisionally gets stuck in neurtral by accident when shifting. Makes horrible noise when trying to get out of it.

-The tires on this bike suck..Even a bit of oil or water and the bike starts hydroplaning.

- This bike is weak.. its okay for the city, but when you have trouble beating 150cc scooters off the line its a bit much...Yea it gets moving after 2 gear but the bike overall just needs more hp. Wishing I got the ninja or R3 right about now.

- No room for carrying anything really,,aka you must wear a backpack if you need to take stuff with you,

Overall i would give this bike a 6-10...The styling is the best thing about it, really beautfiul bike, but I am already thinking about getting something better. I know everybody here is CBR fanboys but I am just telling you my honest opinion about my bike.

While these two posts are not that much different in terms of content, today you seem to be much more disenchanted with your 300R than you were yesterday... interesting.

Still, I'm not understanding why you needed to start yet another thread on this topic (in fact yesterday you started a second identical thread on this topic in the CB300F General Discussion forum, which FYI was deleted).

:confused:

Good forum etiquette when it comes to starting a new thread, would be sticking with that original thread and adding to that thread, instead of starting multiple duplicate threads.

~ Mike

Reactions: Lucy28 and tlpenney

·
Banned
777 Posts

I applaud you for bringing some potential issues to the surface!
There are some people on this forum that don't want others to talk about some genuine issues of the bike, and can act very rude, impolite, and totally uncaring.
Ignore them, I would say..

Most of the issues you mentioned can be addressed though,
Neutral position problems usually go away a little by an oil change.
I've never been fond of Honda transmissions on budget bikes, they all seem to suffer from the same stuck-gear syndromes, much worse than other brands out there,
But I do have to say that their engines rank as one of the best, for me personally!

The gears will become easier over time, as the bike gets more miles on it too.

The tires of this bike, certainly are better than a 150cc scooter tires, and are more than adequate for street riding. If your purpose of this bike, is to track race, you should get other tires. People complained about the stock tires on a honda Rebel too, but I have about 13k miles on them and probably am halfway. Honda stock tires will last you a long time!
Hydroplaning a motorcycle tire is very hard, to nearly impossible, as the tire is curved, and not flat. It takes speeds well into the 3 digits, to hydroplane a tire, and puddles deeper than a few inches!
Nothing you should ever face when riding at the legal speed limits, while trying to be safe (80mph in a heavy rainstorm is NOT safe!).

The bike's engine, like most racing engines, make peak power above 9k rpm.
One of the things that makes this bike a beginners bike, is that it takes a while to get to max acceleration, so in case you acidentally open the throttle a bit too much, your bike won't go flying from under you.
150cc scooters with cvt start off in their power band. If you want to race scoots, you should accelerate into the power band (probably 20-35mph in 1st), before shifting to 2nd.
No way a 150cc scoot keeps up with you above 30mph!

The bike got just enough hp to do 100mph. What are you planning on getting out of it?

For every bike there are luggage rack mounts, and cases available. It sometimes does require you to drill, or be inventive, but it's possible.
If you are mechanically inclined, there are soft cases that go over the passenger seat, with more storage space than a scooter, if you so desire.

You could look into a cb500r/f/x, it has more low end power, and a small storage space in the tank.
If drag racing scooters is what you do mainly, then install a smaller front sprocket.
It'll give faster acceleration in first gear, lift up the front tire a bit, but it's a lit less nice riding on the interstate and mpg go down.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeah, I'm not experiencing anything like the afore mentioned issues from the OP.
My opinion, if you have the means to, is to take a MSF course to learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can. Also, you may learn some good riding techniques to practice instead of worrying about performance mods right out of the gate.

Personally, I only find neutral when im rolling her out for a wash, starting the bike during pre-ride check, and when I pull up to my garage to dismount and open the door. Other than that, never during riding. And if I do somehow get into neutral during riding, its due to operator error and not applying enough pressure to shift thru it; a simple correction.

In ref to not taking off the line quickly to beat scooters, its technique, not the bike, that makes the difference. I have no problem and ive only been riding since Sept 2014.

Storage? on a motorcycle? ...you have 4 options possibly: tail bag, tank bag, saddle bags, tail rack. any one of those can be searched for on any bike forum, including this one.

Im sorry, man, but you are asking for the attention if those are your only complaints about a bike that is only 286cc. Especially since MotoMike called you out on that previous post of yours :)

Hope you find what you are looking for, homie. We all have opinions and preferences and will surely express those given the chance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
today you seem to be much more disenchanted with your 300R than you were yesterday...
He spent the night in Pattaya. That alone can make you question the meaning of life.

Source: Have spent a few nights in Pattaya.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the issues you mentioned can be addressed though,
Neutral position problems usually go away a little by an oil change.
I've never been fond of Honda transmissions on budget bikes, they all seem to suffer from the same stuck-gear syndromes, much worse than other brands out there,.
The Honda Rebel Stuck gear issue you are talking about isn't the case on the cbr300r. I have ridden several Honda Rebels and know what you are talking about and according to the bike I ride almost everyday and other members on this site, there really isn't an issue with the gearbox.
The bike's engine, like most racing engines, make peak power above 9k rpm.
Actually, the cbr300r peaks @~6.5k and falls on its face after ~8k according to the dyno charts I have seen as well as the "butt dyno." Perhaps you were talking about the Ninja?

You could look into a cb500r/f/x, it has more low end power, and a small storage space in the tank.
I am pretty sure you are thinking of the ctx700 and the nc700x. Their motors are mounted like a lot of scooters allowing a fulll faced helmet to be stored where the gas tank traditionally is.

Other than that, I agree with you. A 14t 13t front sprocket will help him race against scooters but honestly this is probably one of those, " evaluate what you actually WANT" situations. He wants a fast bike, everything else is an excuse to justify that decision. I agree with George, he needs a Jixxxxxxer brah.

Edit: How2Isprocket.com

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
doesnt she already have a 14 tooth front sprocket stock [?]

years ago my virtually stock cb450 would beat some bonnevilles over 1/4 mile..
does this mean that bonnevilles potential sprinting is less than cb450, or...

while most cars dont bother the attempt from lights [i typically filter to front]
my new cbr300r has no problem beating any of them off the mark..

seriously, no offence to scoots, but withing general disinterest in
racing on suburban streets, it is of no concern to me if a pushbike
or a scoot takes off ahead of me from the lights..

what do you want to do,, arm wrestle a little kid...

but seriously, in the real context of nutcases out there
and the safety factors, this motorcycle gets off the line
well enough to beat virtually any tin box it meets
on the street, completely stock, not even trying..

motorcyclists also have an advantage from the front
at lights, being able to see covered lights changing
from green to orange to red the other way,
which means you can easily time your start
to get off the line smartly and ahead of cars..

by simply observing light changing sequences
your brain will develop excellent timing
responses, which should be used as just another
advantage we have on the roads..

if you think your 300 isnt getting off the line
quickly enough, then its so easy to find a nice
quiet area and practice take offs or rolling
starts.. this motorcycle can lift front wheel,
ie, the rider can lift the front wheel on
this motorcycle..

prove me wrong..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes I did have fun on the bike on my trip, but riding it the next day in the city got me frustrated!

Its the rainy season here in BKK and after just a bit of rain, my bike was sliding a lot on the street...

I do really enjoy the bike but being honest there are some things I don't like about it..

I need to get an oil change and see if they can tune my gears a bit better.

I didn't mean to offend anybody but I was just a bit frustrated with the bike yesterday..I want to do clutch less shifting sometimes and my clutch literally won't me.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't know. If I wasn't feeling this bike, I would have returned or traded it in pretty quick.

I have just under 3k miles on mine, I've had a fair experience with it. No reason has popped up and motivated me to bring it down for what it is. For the price, it's a good value. I'm sure I'll run into another bike that will be a bit nicer to ride... But for now, it's very difficult to feel any regret with my own decision.

Sorry you feel this way, @Derek Halpern. I would give it some more one on one time in riding. Don't worry about what others think about your bike, and try not to compare either. See if you can allow yourself to enjoy it with a more honest effort and understanding...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From a thread you started yesterday...

To this new thread opening post today (what a difference a day makes)...

While these two posts are not that much different in terms of content, today you seem to be much more disenchanted with your 300R than you were yesterday... interesting.

Still, I'm not understanding why you needed to start yet another thread on this topic (in fact yesterday you started a second identical thread on this topic in the CB300F General Discussion forum, which FYI was deleted).

:confused:

Good forum etiquette when it comes to starting a new thread, would be sticking with that original thread and adding to that thread, instead of starting multiple duplicate threads.

~ Mike

Yea I posted by accident that extra post,,i realized I had put it in the 300f area,,so i reposted in the main area...

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Yea I posted by accident that extra post,,i realized I had put it in the 300f area,,so i reposted in the main area...
So why start the new thread today? It's basically the same topic as yesterdays thread... any particular reason you didn't want to go back to that thread and continue the discussion there?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts