Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So i just got my CBR300r and it is sweet.

This is my first motorcycle and I just have a few questions after riding for a few days..

It seems that first gear is basically useless,,it goes about 15 kph and needs to shift...Is this supposed to be like this?

It seems the bike has to work very hard even around 40-60 kph in 3-4 gear...When i take my hand off the clutch the bike seems to pull hard..If i pull on the clutch while I brake I don't feel this...Or just when I pull on the clutch it takes away the pull effect.

Why is the bike working so hard,,it seems if I go about 7-8k revs the bike wants to go insane...

Its a brand new bike so i doubt anything is wrong,,but i just don't know it feels a little weird..I thought I would be able to cruise in 3 or 4th gear without the engine feeling angry as it slowly decelerates..

·
Registered
236 Posts
There are quite a few threads about the front sprocket change to a 15T. This will make first gear a little more useful, and I think those who have done it around here seem to be happy with the change for the most part.

As far as the bike working hard, you have to realize that sport bikes are geared different than cars. The RPM range of 5-8K is usually where the power is found, and where the bike is more comfortable. Additionally, having the bike drop down like that when you let off the clutch is useful for downshifting when you are slowing down or coming to a stop.

Also, with these bikes being single cylinder 300's, they are naturally going to have to work harder to get up to higher speeds. If you ever graduate to a 600 or bigger, you'll notice that they don't need to work nearly as hard to build up speed.

If it is bogging down too much, there is a 5th and 6th gear as well. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree the engine breaking on this bike is rather intimidating at first, but you get used to it in time. As IndependentGeorge has said, the 15t front sprocket swap will fix the first gear woes.

It is an easy swap to do with basic hand tools and limited mechanical experiment. The sprocket itself can be found on amazon for about 15-17 usd. Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CKKR4O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is a good thread discussing the sprocket:
http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/en...ad-sprockets-ratios-etc-multiple-threads.html

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hi,

So i just got my CBR300r and it is sweet.

This is my first motorcycle and I just have a few questions after riding for a few days..

It seems that first gear is basically useless,,it goes about 15 kph and needs to shift...Is this supposed to be like this?
First gear is intended to be a very low ratio, as its primary purpose is to move the bike & rider (and passenger if riding 2 up) from a dead stop... which when you think about it, is a fair amount of mass that the engine has to overcome. That said, first gear is not really a gear that you would often find yourself riding around in, apart from situations like urban stop & go traffic. For example, even when moving through a parking lot, or riding on streets with low speed limits (15 MPH) like those found in residential areas, 2nd gear has the flexibility to use for speeds in the 10 to 20 MPH range without having to lug, or over rev the engine.

On my 250R when starting off, I typically shift into 2nd gear by about 8 - 10 MPH... which happens pretty quickly as a result of the 13T front sprocket I'm running.

It seems the bike has to work very hard even around 40-60 kph in 3-4 gear...When i take my hand off the clutch the bike seems to pull hard..If i pull on the clutch while I brake I don't feel this...Or just when I pull on the clutch it takes away the pull effect.

Why is the bike working so hard,,it seems if I go about 7-8k revs the bike wants to go insane...
7-8k RPM is where the horsepower & torque are on these engines... you'll get use to it in time.

Its a brand new bike so i doubt anything is wrong,,but i just don't know it feels a little weird..I thought I would be able to cruise in 3 or 4th gear without the engine feeling angry as it slowly decelerates..
You can cruise in 3 & 4th, at lower road speeds, as long as your not trying to ride the bike at engine RPM's that are too low.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
As a general rule of thumb for casual cruising speeds for these bikes (with stock final drive gearing), which will have engine RPM's in an efficient operating range:

10 - 20 MPH = 2nd gear

25 - 35 MPH = 3rd gear

35 - 45 MPH = 4th gear

45 - 55 MPH = 5th gear

60+ MPH = 6th gear

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is this your first manual vehicle? First gear in most everything I've ever driven is simply to get the vehicle moving. The last time I was in something that spent a lot of time in first was a two speed automatic. Even a three speed manual shifts out of first really low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts