Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Something interesting popped up on one of the Indonesian blogs I had been following for R25 coverage. Reports are that Honda is working on a new 250cc V-Twin. Now I know that Honda currently uses a 250cc V-Twin in their VTR250 sold into Asian markets but I think a case could be made that this engine should find its way into the CBR250R/CBR300R.

This new 250cc V-Twin is said to put out 34.5 hp @ 11,000 RPM and 15.9 lb-ft of torque @ 10,000 RPM. Which would put CBR much more in line with Ninja 300 and R25 in terms of power figures and rev band. Now its also not just about power figures and marketing, I spoke with a guy who is a licensed MSF instructor and he was saying that they found the CBR250R's to be ill suited for beginners. Power coming off idle comes on too abruptly and people have had issues with figuring out clutch control, he said the bike was not overly quirky that someone with experience could make it work flawless, but for a beginner that is just not the case.

Now we know singles make tons of power and grunt down low but is that exactly the best situation for a rookie? Compare the dyno sheets for CBR250R and Ninja 250.

The CBR clearly works its way up the power band faster than the Ninja but the Ninjette delivers its power in a smooth linear format. If you watch this video of the VTR250 dyno run and compare the sheet to the Ninjette's you will see delivery is on par.

Now of course there is no discounting what Honda is capable of with a 250cc Single as evidenced by their work in the Moto3 class, but thats racing. I just have to figure that a smooth and linear powerband would be far more on par with what the entry level rider is seeking, not to mention power clear and present through out the power band for the more experienced of the bunch!

This is of course pure speculation so go easy ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Which do you prefer? The more linear power of the Ninja, or the quicker power of the CBR? I think I might actually like the more linear power better.

I just always leaned towards Honda since it looks better and has a better reputation for quality.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Torque on the VTR is laughable :D
Torque on the current VTR is equal with CBR250R ;) 23.5 Nm for the VTR and 23 Nm for CBR250R ;)

This is about Singles vs Twins, as rivals all turn to potenet Twins Honda is being left in the cold. I mean the CBR is not any lighter than the rest of them desite loping off a cylinder, couple that with a 10 hp deficiency and you just don't have the most competitive offering IMO...

·
Registered
162 Posts
How did they manage to put in a smaller engine yet still have the bike weigh the same as other brands that are using twin cyclinder engine? What do they have in there that makes it so heavy?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Torque on the current VTR is equal with CBR250R ;) 23.5 Nm for the VTR and 23 Nm for CBR250R ;)

This is about Singles vs Twins, as rivals all turn to potenet Twins Honda is being left in the cold. I mean the CBR is not any lighter than the rest of them desite loping off a cylinder, couple that with a 10 hp deficiency and you just don't have the most competitive offering IMO...
Yeah sadly, kinda why im undecided on what to go as yet and in not much of a rush to jump into this. Just an information junkie as it stands.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Means CBR could become the poor mans panigale ;) Should Honda decide to move forward with a V Twin in CBR I believe they would be the only other company with a V twin sport bike after Ducati...

·
Registered
203 Posts
That's not a bad situation to be in for Honda. Being the cheap alternative to Ducati must yield pretty good results.

Do you think its possible that Honda may decide to not use a V twin? Seems like they've already committed.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Yeah sadly, kinda why im undecided on what to go as yet and in not much of a rush to jump into this. Just an information junkie as it stands.
Carpe diem young scribe...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I find often times that people have inertia and make reasons for themselves to not go through with purchases like this. Sometimes you just need to go through with it. Most of the time you won't regret your decision in the end.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
that is true, in my case i'm not in a rush anyways
Don't be the guy who has the highest post count on a motorcycle forum, yet has no motorcycle... talk is cheap.

Those who are the doer's, seize the day... tomorrow and the days after tomorrow are where the 'pie in the sky' dreamers of the world live.

I'm about to head out for an afternoon ride up in the mountains on my XR400R. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts