Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have seen on the 250 forum that guys are seeing their CBRs produce a strange rattle at 5.5K RPM. Issue seems to be stemming from vales and rocker arms, I'm a little worried that the CBR300 may suffer the same rattle, considering the engine has only had its stroke changed...

Can any of you Techies chime in here?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I have heard that there might be an issue with the crank somehow deforming causing that issue but not exactly 100% sure.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If honda has been well aware of the issue and working on it then there's a good chance they wont have that issue in the 300's. plus wasn't there some big revamp with the engine in the 300?

·
Registered
528 Posts
well there is no way to tell until we get the CBR300s in.

Now all CBR250s had the problem.. so its not like its a widespread problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
i think i'll wait for the reviews and what reviewers have to say and report on before i buy just to be on the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Have seen on the 250 forum that guys are seeing their CBRs produce a strange rattle at 5.5K RPM. Issue seems to be stemming from vales and rocker arms, I'm a little worried that the CBR300 may suffer the same rattle, considering the engine has only had its stroke changed...

Can any of you Techies chime in here?
Yeah, there is a huge, long thread on this issue over on CBR250.net.

It's not valve, rocker arm, or cam shaft related though... excessive valve clearance would be noticeable throughout a wider RPM range, and especially noticeable at idle RPM. Many owners have found that this 'rattle' noise nothing more than a loose fastener, often in the front cowl area. This results in a harmonic vibration, emanating from a body panel. And what many CBR250R/RA owners are hearing is nothing more than the normal operating sound of a single cylinder 4 stroke engine. It's the nature of this type of engine design... unfortunately many owners don't want to believe that. They would rather piss and moan about it, fearing their bikes engine will blow apart at any moment, than ride and enjoy their bike for what it is.

Mark my words, when the CBR300R finally arrives and people start riding them, it will only be a matter of time before this site will have it's very own "5.5K Rattle" thread, with a handful of clueless CBR300R owners crying for other owners to join them in a recall campaign against Honda.

Reactions: Rob V. and Cropper

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, there is a huge, long thread on this issue over on CBR250.net.

It's not valve, rocker arm, or cam shaft related though... excessive valve clearance would be noticeable throughout a wider RPM range, and especially noticeable at idle RPM. Many owners have found that this 'rattle' noise nothing more than a loose fastener, often in the front cowl area. This results in a harmonic vibration, emanating from a body panel. And what many CBR250R/RA owners are hearing is nothing more than the normal operating sound of a single cylinder 4 stroke engine. It's the nature of this type of engine design... unfortunately many owners don't want to believe that. They would rather piss and moan about it, fearing their bikes engine will blow apart at any moment, than ride and enjoy their bike for what it is.

Mark my words, when the CBR300R finally arrives and people start riding them, it will only be a matter of time before this site will have it's very own "5.5K Rattle" thread, with a handful of clueless CBR300R owners crying for other owners to join them in a recall campaign against Honda.
Cheers on the update Mike. It usually is a fastener LOL, There was this guy on another board I hang out on that was hearing a terrible sound under braking, he was convinced his brakes were about to let go and he would be careening face first into the trees, turns out it was a loose fastener and the washer was rattling away to kingdom come :D

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think that people just hear the rattle and are afraid that it is a symptom of a more serious problem, or that it can turn into a bigger problem, and I think that is an understandable reaction. As long as it is just a rattle and should be expected from the engine its fine. Can't blame people for asking about it though. I'd be more worried if people just ignored it even though they think there might be a problem.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think that people just hear the rattle and are afraid that it is a symptom of a more serious problem, or that it can turn into a bigger problem, and I think that is an understandable reaction. As long as it is just a rattle and should be expected from the engine its fine. Can't blame people for asking about it though. I'd be more worried if people just ignored it even though they think there might be a problem.
yup, better to be concerned and question it than to ignore it and hope it`s nothing bad!

·
Registered
162 Posts
So is there anyway to 'fix' this rattle even though it isn't serious? I'm also wondering if the CBR300 will even have this problem. It has a different engine so why would it have the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
So is there anyway to 'fix' this rattle even though it isn't serious?
More often than not, it's just a matter of finding that loose fairing screw that is causing the noise.

I'm also wondering if the CBR300 will even have this problem. It has a different engine so why would it have the same problem?
The 300R motor is just a 'stroked' version of the 250R motor, otherwise the two engines are virtually identical, and share many of the very same parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
are there any other proper issues on the 250 we should be weary of on CBR300?
Honestly, I don't think there really are any common or widespread issues with the CBR250R. Some of the very early 2011 models had random stalling issues, which was determined to be caused by valve clearances being outside of the allowable specification variance during engine assemble... from mid production of 2011 models and onward to the last 2013 models built, this issue was addressed and corrected during production.

My 2012 250R is now 2 years old, and has close to 12,000 miles (19,200 kms), and I've not had a single problem or issue with my bike... it has performed flawlessly from day one. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, I don't think there really are any common or widespread issues with the CBR250R. Some of the very early 2011 models had random stalling issues, which was determined to be caused by valve clearances being outside of the allowable specification variance during engine assemble... from mid production of 2011 models and onward to the last 2013 models built, this issue was addressed and corrected during production.

My 2012 250R is now 2 years old, and has close to 12,000 miles (19,200 kms), and I've not had a single problem or issue with my bike... it has performed flawlessly from day one. :)
excellent, heres to hoping we all have the same luck with the 300R :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
excellent, heres to hoping we all have the same luck with the 300R :D
x2 i have faith in them but that only goes so far, but they seem to have a good rep with their bikes which leaves me positive about what upcoming bikes could turn out to be like

·
Registered
203 Posts
I also think that when a company delays the release of a product for a significant amount of time it makes me think that they would take extra care to make sure there are no problems. People don't like waiting and they really don't like waiting for something that has problems. Honda is known for quality craftsmanship so I am really not that worried, especially if this 'rattle' issue is really NBD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts