Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious on your thoughts on how popular/well selling these bikes are going to be.

My local dealership posts photos of new owners on their facebook page (with permission) Of the last five posts, three have been new 300 owners.

When I was visiting my father this weekend in a town about 150 miles away, I saw an FA cruise passed the house.

We'll never get official sales numbers of the R or F but anecdotally, they seem to be selling very, very well.

Anybody else notice other 300s cruising around?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I would think they are selling well, although it's probably fair to say that sales numbers will not be anywhere near what they were for the 2011-2012 CBR250R (by the 2013 model year, CBR250R sales were tapering off). I'm sure Honda looks at the CBR300R as an 'upgraded' continuation of the 250R that will maintain steady sales for the segment, while they work on their next small displacement sport bike offering.

One reason I see softer sales numbers for Honda going forward is that there is a lot more competition in the small sport bike segment now than there was 5 years ago when the CBR250R was introduced... no doubt the Yamaha R3 will take a significant slice of this market from both the CBR300R/CB300F and the Ninja 300. What will be interesting to see is how long both Honda and Kawasaki will be content to battle over 2nd place in this segment with their current offerings before they each decide to up the ante with all new motors and/or bikes... IMO, it's only a matter of time.

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: jmerod58

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I get the impression they are selling well in the States and Thailand, not so well in Europe and the UK with their different learners laws, I'm finding it hard to gauge Australia and New Zealand but I think sales have been fair rather than impressive. I've only seen one other 300 on the road here in NZ but I was talking to a dealer recently who had sold half a dozen.
The Ninja's are very popular down under and offer stiff competition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
125 seems to be popular learner's bike here in Canada im sure the SRP has something to do with it against 250 and 300.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The 125s were clearly more popular and sold for longer than the 250s, where were kind of still born here.

Right now Honda Canada is offering $700 of the 300R and $300 off
of the 300F.

Makes me think the F has been the popular of the two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In arlington texas, i have yet to see another 300 unless it was a ninja. Even then they are rare compared to the billions of harleys and jixxers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
this is HD country here with one of the largest HD dealerships on the east coast on the other side of town

but you see quite a few sportbikes also, mostly the younger crowd, I dug into it some the Yamaha FZ 07 seems to be one of the more popular sportbikes bikes being purchased around here, when you dig into it & ask the sales people it's mostly a price point vs. performance tradeoff

the dealership I bought my cb300f from has sold more 300r bikes, they have only gotten in two 300f models since it was commercialized last fall & I bought the 2nd of the two, my bike sat on the floor for a couple of months but it was the middle of winter so can't read too much into this thus far

but the 300f price currently is so good & the reviews are quite positive so it may take off this season? If the model continues the price will increase because abs will have to be standard going forward

ride safe

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ABS is standard in Canada. First bike I've ever ridden with ABS. My review: "Yep, it's got ABS"

Maybe it helps at the track, or if you're new to driving (not riding, driving) but all in all, it's not that much of a benefit.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
ABS is standard in Canada. First bike I've ever ridden with ABS. My review: "Yep, it's got ABS"

Maybe it helps at the track, or if you're new to driving (not riding, driving) but all in all, it's not that much of a benefit.
Actually, ABS is not something a racer would want either, as it will prevent the ability to brake at the limit, which would extend braking distances. For road racing, there is a long established golden rule when it comes to putting down quick lap times... brake later (ie. go deeper into the corner before getting on the brakes) and brake harder. You can't do that with ABS.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I don't think you can really gauge the popularity of any particular model based on how many you might see on the road in your local area.

I've seen maybe 10 or 12 different CBR250R's in my area over the past 4 years, which seems like quite a few for a single model in a relatively small city (which doesn't even have a Honda motorcycle dealership), but what does that mean? In the bigger picture, it doesn't mean much really. Globally, there are an incredible number of Honda CBR250R/RA's on the road.

As for the popularity of the CBR300R/RA & CB300F/FA models, it's kind of too soon to tell as the bikes haven't even been available on the market for a full year... Give it a couple years.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Actually, ABS is not something a racer would want either, as it will prevent the ability to brake at the limit, which would extend braking distances. For road racing, there is a long established golden rule when it comes to putting down quick lap times... brake later (ie. go deeper into the corner before getting on the brakes) and brake harder. You can't do that with ABS.
True, ABS is not what you want. Ive been really impressed with the braking of my 300R at the track actually and no fade after multiple laps either.
I was pleased to be able to pick up a non ABS model here in NZ and it saved me $1000 as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been keeping track at the Honda dealer. A full 50% of the bikes sold in the last two months have been either a cbr300r or cb300f. Granted, they have only sold eight bikes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In arlington texas, i have yet to see another 300 unless it was a ninja. Even then they are rare compared to the billions of harleys and jixxers.
Same here, it seems. Though I hardly see any 250's of any kind on the road. People around here must not believe in starter bikes.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Every once in a while, I may see a 250R... Haven't seen a 300R other than mine in the area. I may not be looking hard enough, lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts