Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Over here in Thailand. Just got back from a 3 day ride on mostly 4 lane highway. After converting from metric to US stuff, comes out to 70 mpg, around 7000 rpm's at 70 mph. That 2 up & enough stuff for 2 for several nites. Very happy with that & the bike ran great
70 MPG, that's pretty impressive for being 2 up & fully loaded.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a small backpack we got back in the US. Put a small hook up in front of the gas tank to hold it there, then just tie the straps down to the foot peg area. The hook makes it easy to undo the pack when getting fuel. Don't have to untie anything. It will hold a lot of stuff & I can lean into it on long rides. Plus it puts most of the weight where it belongs. Put a small towel under to keep the tank from getting scratched

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Out here in North Wales yesterday on winding roads. At legal limit all the time (60 mph max ?????). 185 miles and averaged 105 mpg (UK gallons). This included a number of spirited overtakes. Could be very frugal if ridden conservatively.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
@sendler & @Gromit The control you show over your right wrists should be commended! :laugh:
Gromit's 105 MPG UK gallon (87 MPG US gallon) is pretty good for a 60 MPH speed limit. I've gotten similar numbers at that speed on my CBR250R. Once you start running at speeds above 65 MPH the MPG's drop off to numbers in the 70's, which is pretty typical for these bikes.

If you convert Gromit's UK gallons to US gallons, sendler has him beat by a not so small margin... a full 20 miles per gallon more when converted to the same volume of fuel. Of course sendler is using what most would consider to be an extreme method to attain that kind of fuel economy, known as "pulse & glide".

1 US gallon = 0.83 UK gallon, or 1 UK gallon = 1.20 US gallons

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Gromit's 105 MPG UK gallon (87 MPG US gallon) is pretty good for a 60 MPH speed limit. I've gotten similar numbers at that speed on my CBR250R. Once you start running at speeds above 65 MPH the MPG's drop off to numbers in the 70's, which is pretty typical for these bikes.

If you convert Gromit's UK gallons to US gallons, sendler has him beat by a not so small margin... a full 20 miles per gallon more when converted to the same volume of fuel. Of course sendler is using what most would consider to be an extreme method to attain that kind of fuel economy, known as "pulse & glide".

1 US gallon = 0.83 UK gallon, or 1 UK gallon = 1.20 US gallons
What is this, never heard of it?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
What is this, never heard of it?
I won a couple of economy runs back in the 80s and I'm guessing that it's basically coasting whenever possible - not allowed in economy competition.

For me, the key is anticipation and planning. Every time you brake, you just used petrol to make useless heat and shave a few microns off your brake pads. Of course in some situations, braking is much, much cheaper than not braking.......

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I won a couple of economy runs back in the 80s and I'm guessing that it's basically coasting whenever possible - not allowed in economy competition.

For me, the key is anticipation and planning. Every time you brake, you just used petrol to make useless heat and shave a few microns off your brake pads. Of course in some situations, braking is much, much cheaper than not braking.......
Ah OK, I'm guessing this wont be a good thing to put into practice at Teretonga next weekend!

·
Registered
415 Posts
No coasting. Reading the road & traffic to ensure a smooth ride is the key. On our Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists advanced test ( not obligatory) you have to 'make progress' ie overtake when possible etc but if you exceed the speed limit you get fail points. It makes you learn to ride fast but not breaking the limit ( well, maybe a bit fast on overtakes) and anticipate situations so you deal with them in the most efficient manner.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Funny that this should pop back up--I just had a chance to test my mileage. A few days ago, I got home from work and saw that the fuel gauge was at one bar. OK, remember to buy gas after work (there's a station a block away). Next day, go to work, work, leave work, see fuel gauge, go home on auto pilot and forget about it. Yesterday, same thing again, only now it's been blinking for a while. I don't know how far I can go on a blinking light, but I never want to find out, because then I might count on it. Day off today, so I go for gas. There is a station 1 km from me, but they use ethanol. Same for the station 2 km from me. 3 km away is my preferred station. Some steep hills no matter which one I go to. I can hear a meagre splash in the tank, so I go for the 3 km, on a route that takes me past the 2 km. I don't take the shortest route, because that's a busy four lane with nowhere to pull up to the curb. Pulse and glide would probably describe my riding method. I accelerated firmly to the tops of hills, and coasted down. Still OK when I passed the 2 km, so on I went. While I was waiting to turn left into the station, there were a couple of mild coughs from the engine. Made the turn, and coasted through the parking lot to the pump. Trip odometer said 348 km, and I put 11.75 litres in the tank. (I fill to the baffle at the top, and don't try to get more than that in, unless I am setting out on a long trip.) This tank was almost all commuting, with one short highway trip. So 3.37 L/100km, 84 UK mpg, just short of 70 US mpg. The only attempt at maximizing mileage was this morning's [ahem] adventure.

Now before anyone can remind me, I will add this:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did my first fill up at 228.7 KMs.

KMs Liters Liter Total MPG
228.7 7.823 1.071 8.38 68.76

So not bad I don't think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trip odometer said 348 km, and I put 11.75 litres in the tank. (I fill to the baffle at the top, and don't try to get more than that in, unless I am setting out on a long trip.) This tank was almost all commuting, with one short highway trip. So 3.37 L/100km, 84 UK mpg, just short of 70 US mpg.
Given that the speedo reads 10% higher than true speed, then the calculated mpg is also 10% high?

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Given that the speedo reads 10% higher than true speed, then the calculated mpg is also 10% high?
No the odo is accurate, its only the speedo that's out. Appears to be not so bad on the MPH models but yes, reads 10% fast on the metric versions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's my CB300F's Fuelly.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb300f/2015/dkazzed/640333

My average is 4.1 L/100km (57 MPG[US], 69 MPG[Imp]) because of my trip across Canada but I've been doing 3.5 L/100km (66, 80) since coming back. My previous 7.5 HP scooter got the same so honestly I have no complaints. It has to haul my heavy 230 lb butt around plus I usually have a massive top case that must surely be adding heaps of wind resistance.

Last week I bombed down to Penticton at 140+ km/h indicated 130 GPS tops, didn't want to risk getting my bike impounded but I had to get to a meeting which I made just in time. I thought would've killed my fuel economy but that would've been a 3.4 L/100km tank if I didn't decide to put another half a litre into the tank past the first click.

I almost ran out of fuel though, the engine had signs that it was getting starved for fuel as I pulled into town. Lol. I have to accept that I'm not going to get CBR 125R like fuel consumption and 10-10.5L will only get me 295km not 360km. Filled at 12.3 L (first click was 11.8 L) at 342km. Has anyone managed to get a full 13 L in these tanks or is that unusable reserve?

·
Registered
391 Posts
No the odo is accurate, its only the speedo that's out. Appears to be not so bad on the MPH models but yes, reads 10% fast on the metric versions.
But the speedo is both. If I switch to mph will it be more accurate? (I'm a bit less than 10% off according to radar.) And yes, I have checked the odometer accuracy, and it seems good.

Here's my CB300F's Fuelly.

Lil Adventure (Honda CB300F) | Fuelly

My average is 4.1 L/100km (57 MPG[US], 69 MPG[Imp]) because of my trip across Canada but I've been doing 3.5 L/100km (66, 80) since coming back. My previous 7.5 HP scooter got the same so honestly I have no complaints. It has to haul my heavy 230 lb butt around plus I usually have a massive top case that must surely be adding heaps of wind resistance.

Last week I bombed down to Penticton at 140+ km/h indicated 130 GPS tops, didn't want to risk getting my bike impounded but I had to get to a meeting which I made just in time. I thought would've killed my fuel economy but that would've been a 3.4 L/100km tank if I didn't decide to put another half a litre into the tank past the first click.

I almost ran out of fuel though, the engine had signs that it was getting starved for fuel as I pulled into town. Lol. I have to accept that I'm not going to get CBR 125R like fuel consumption and 10-10.5L will only get me 295km not 360km. Filled at 12.3 L (first click was 11.8 L) at 342km. Has anyone managed to get a full 13 L in these tanks or is that unusable reserve?
My previous semi-scooter got about 3.0-3.4 L/100 km. The 300 generally gets 3.4-3.8, so I also cannot complain. As I mentioned, from empty to the baffle was 11.75 L. At a guess, I could have put another 1/2 L in it if I had made the effort to fill it right up. I can't imagine ever pumping 13 L in the real world.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
But the speedo is both. If I switch to mph will it be more accurate? (I'm a bit less than 10% off according to radar.) And yes, I have checked the odometer accuracy, and it seems good.
They must have factored a deliberate percentage gain into the speedo read out. As you said yourself your odo accuracy seems good. You will affect your odo accuracy though if you change your sprocket sizes as the pick up reads off the transmission.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The odometer is very much correct. Confirmed by GPS and also an old fashioned highway odometer check.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts