Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CBR300R I was thinking of installing a universal gear indicator. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the install?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I drive on the engine noise, revs etc. Never seen the need for a gear indicator
I totally agree..although I was never asked my opinion. Rode a few bikes in my past and learned what gear I was in by the Tach.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I totally agree..although I was never asked my opinion. Rode a few bikes in my past and learned what gear I was in by the Tach.
Absolutely, also use the engine for breaking, dropping down cog/s for corners and combined with brakes when coming to a junction/lights etc. Learn't that when I was a teenager and still use it today.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had this discussion quite frequently. I like to see the gear at once instead of listening to the engine or interpreting instruments. It's a kind of luxury, a modern bike should have, like ABS, electric engine control, tach, travling speed, etc. Nothing is really neccessary, but we are in the 21st century.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
I had this discussion quite frequently. I like to see the gear at once instead of listening to the engine or interpreting instruments. It's a kind of luxury, a modern bike should have, like ABS, electric engine control, tach, travling speed, etc. Nothing is really neccessary, but we are in the 21st century.
I would disagree. Some features are necessary to the proper operation of a road bike, and some are not...

Necessary Instrumentation: Speedometer, Tachometer, High Beam Indicator, Odometer/Tripmeter, Turn Signal Indicators, Fuel Gauge (for EFI bikes), Engine Coolant Temp Gauge (for liquid cooled bikes).

Valuable But Not Necessary: ABS (while not required it is a valuable feature, particularly for those new and inexperienced to motorcycling). Electronic Traction Control.

Unnecessary Luxury Bells & Whistles: Gear Selection Indicator, MPG Computers, GPS, Bluetooth, Intercoms, etc.

Obviously not a complete list, but you get the idea.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I would disagree. Some features are necessary to the proper operation of a road bike, and some are not...

Necessary Instrumentation: Speedometer, Tachometer, High Beam Indicator, Odometer/Tripmeter, Turn Signal Indicators, Fuel Gauge (for EFI bikes), Engine Coolant Temp Gauge (for liquid cooled bikes).

Valuable But Not Necessary: ABS (while not required it is a valuable feature, particularly for those new and inexperienced to motorcycling). Electronic Traction Control.

Unnecessary Luxury Bells & Whistles: Gear Selection Indicator, MPG Computers, GPS, Bluetooth, Intercoms, etc.

My CL400 doen't have a tacho and not a problem for me, may be for new riders though.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
My CL400 doen't have a tacho and not a problem for me, may be for new riders though.
My XR400R has a simple analog tripmeter, as well as an aftermarket digital tach/hour meter... no speedo, as it not necessary or even useful for a strictly off-road bike.

DSC_0081.JPG

·
Registered
272 Posts

I forgot: Of course I installed a GPS, Bluetooth, MP3 and Smartphone pairing. This is absolutely neccessary to operate my Bike :devil:

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
I forgot: Of course I installed a GPS, Bluetooth, MP3 and Smartphone pairing. This is absolutely neccessary to operate my Bike :devil:
Well you may have yourself convinced that those things are necessary in order to ride your bike... as someone who's been riding bikes for over 40 years, I see them as nothing more than a distraction to everything that motorcycling is about.

Since you didn't do a first post in the New Member Introduction forum telling us about yourself, and you are very into tech gadgets, I'm going to guess that you're probably young and also fairly new to motorcycling?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got to ride my buddy's 600RR this past weekend. Im pretty sure it had a gear indicator, BUT I don't recall because I never looked down! haha
I guess I was too focused on not throttling a wheelie...

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
My XR400R has a simple analog tripmeter, as well as an aftermarket digital tach/hour meter... no speedo, as it not necessary or even useful for a strictly off-road bike.

View attachment 17401
Mike: That is the difference, mine is a road bike therefore has lights, indicators, speedo etc etc.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
So much for getting an answer. Lots of opinions, though!
Yeah we're good like that, never short of an opinion!
I must have been busy at the time and decided to sit this one out so I'll throw another opinion out there now.
I had a raft of road bikes (including CBR250 &300) prior to my current Kawasaki Ninja 400 which has a gear position indicator. None of the previous bikes did and I would probably have said that it was completely unnecessary. But now I would say they have some merit. Not a lot but some. Only because I find myself looking at it occasionally to check if I'm in top gear or still in fifth.

Still doesn't help anyone work out how to install one though but I'm sure it cant be too hard and they probably come with instructions in the box. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same here. A previous BMW I rode for 34 years had no gear indicator. Just keep shifting up or down until it won't go farther. No problems. But I've been spoiled with my newer bikes and don't care to go backwards.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
So much for getting an answer. Lots of opinions, though!
Well, the original poster probably got his gear shift indicator like 4 years ago after he first posted, that is if he decided to install one after all the 'opinions'. Generally good idea to look at the dates of the posts on these older threads. (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts