Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
First couple day review

I brought my CBR300 home Saturday and it is larger in height and width than most bikes with similar displacement and I knew it was but it is even bulkier than I thought. I am 5'11" and when I sat on the bike it felt like it was made for me. The mirrors perfect height and I could see out of them very well, the clip-ons are upright/high for a sport bike but very comfortable, the rearsets don't look it but they are more forward than I am use to but they were very comfortable, the seat height was perfect for me and very comfortable. I would say that Honda nailed the ergonomics dead-on for someone 5'11". The first thing I noticed when I got on the bike was how wonderful the suspension was, not to stiff but firm when it needs to be. The bike is so nimble I can't say I have ever ridden any street bike I can compare it to other than how you can maneuver a dirt bike but on the road. The gears are kind of close together and even winding out the first 5 gears out to 10,000 rpm you still have to shift fast. (again, kind of like a dirt bike) The 6th gear cruises around 70mph around 7,000 rpm but the bike is very very quiet and the power begins around 7,000 so it goes right up to 85mph like that. I have to find out if the bike would benefit from changing the front or rear sprocket, it seems like adding a tooth to the front or less one rear tooth may help with the relatively quick gear changes. The bike on the highway is very stable and I would think would be a perfect first ride for someone around 6’ 200lbs. It is as big as the 500 and is quick enough to ride anywhere but not fast enough to get you into trouble and it has a wonderful suspension plus it weighs nothing. However, there is one let down and I think it will improve in time. The brakes are really spongy but getting better the more I ride.
It is hard to believe that this bike is only a $1,000 more than a Grom because you get a lot of machine for that price. The MPG seems to be right on as I had gone 148 miles and filled the tank to the top with 2.1 gallons.

·
Registered
532 Posts
It’s a great time to get into motorcycling. Just a few years ago there were only a few small-bore bikes to choose from—and some of them weren’t very compelling—but in recent years the low-buck beginner-bike category has undergone a serious revival. Now there are lots of appealing options to choose from.
aint that the TRUTH!

·
Registered
532 Posts
CBR300R UK ride Review

Visordown has thier CBR300R review up, not sure about any of the other UK publications, perhaps our friends across the puddle could chime in ;)

First ride: Honda CBR300R review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

WHAT’S the smallest sum of money you have to spend to get a proper, do-it-all Japanese motorcycle? The answer may be £4,299 on Honda’s new CBR300R.

Yes, you could get a Suzuki Inazuma 250 for less (about £800 less, in fact), but with only 24hp, would you really want to ride from London to Manchester?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick Spin: Honda CBR300RAF 2015

Quick Spin: Honda CBR300RAF 2015

Hey guys, I wrote up a quick 400 mile review of my new Honda CBR300RAF. As I mention, I've only put 420 miles on my total motorcycle experience. So if you're a new rider in the market for a new bike, check out my review for some insight.

I plan to do a much more extensive review around the 1000 mile mark. If you guys have any questions or things you'd like to see in that review, please feel free to comment!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nicely done review, try a 15T sprocket on the front it drops the RPMs around 1,000 in each gear and I like the gearing much better with it but the 14T would have been good enough.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Very solid review and in detail as well. I agree on many points, especially having the urge to shift up from 1st at about 4-5 mph and then noticing the cars really coming up behind and feeling the intimidation.

I also plan on posting up a review after the 600 mile service and after some more miles and time has passed so that I can have allowance in brushing up my skills, not to mention taking the bike up to higher RPM's.

Cool to know that you're a fellow Texan. :D

Reactions: CBR300R

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Big Grand

Hello everyone,

As many of you may know, the CBR300R is my first ever motorcycle... So I'm still very new to these grounds. And I've been pondering of posting up my official review once I touched the 1,000 mile mark... So here I am, and knowing my personality, I prefer to be detailed about it since this bike is a huge difference maker for entering myself into the world of motorcycles.

I suppose you all are more interested in hearing of what I think of the bike compared to talking about myself, so I'll start there. I may not be as consistent and may randomly jump from topic to topic... Please pardon me.

Honestly, I'm very happy with the amount of power and torque which can be felt when riding this bike. Yes, my expectations were very low anyway, so that may be a reason. The torque can really be felt in stop & go city riding, and the passing power is incredible. The bike's character and rush of power revealed itself once I started taking it to higher RPM's, say at the 5-7k range as others have mentioned. I was very hesitant and cautious for the first 500 or so miles, therefore I didn't really get to explore until probably after my 600 mile service.

The sound of the bike: It has a very macho sound and sensation when accelerating from lower RPM's. When I take it up to redline, it transforms into a very race oriented sound which is amazing. I can't imagine how much better a supersport would sound because this already sounds darn good.

Any problems or drawbacks to the bike? Not really, since I prepared myself to the best of my abilities before the purchase. If anything, I have to clean the bike more frequently because I ride so much... Nothing wrong with that though.

I get a lot of looks and comments from people. The bike definitely looks faster than it is. The bike's look screams SPEED to the average person, and that's not really what the bike is about... But I try not to waste energy trying to explain either. I feel the bike is a very solid means of everyday transportation. It has the sportiness, power, ease of riding, fuel economy, the looks, the name, the reliability... It just has so much value to offer for the person who can take advantage and appreciate.

Moving forward, I'll share some additional words. The bike creates a lot of vibration when taking it to higher RPM's. Almost feels like the motor is going to explode out of the chassis. But I like it, and it's a raw feeling. Also, there's a lot of shifting involved... Yet I like that as well because I feel more involved and in sync within the ride.

Only my opinion, but the bike feels better to ride around the city at a variety of speed limits which range from 30 mph and up to 55 mph. It can handle the highway as well, but I ride more on city roads since I feel the bike is more fun to shift and for taking advantage of turns & twisties on tighter roads. About 80% (or more) of my riding thus far has been in the city.

I've heard of the sprocket modification, but I have no complaints and I've learned to adapt in making the quick & smooth shift and transition from 1st to 2nd. Regarding any future modifications... Call me boring, but I definitely plan to keep my bike 100% stock, no doubt about it. I admire the bike along with all of its original engineering.

* 600 mile service * So basically the dealer did the following: Changed oil and filter, lubed and adjusted chain, inspected lights, inspected brakes, adjusted tire pressures, adjusted throttle free play, adjusted clutch free play, checked coolant level. Overall, this service took about an hour and costed me a total of $113.50 after shopping around. And I did feel a difference after the service... The throttle handle was sharper / tighter and the clutch lever wasn't as loose either.

Lastly, here are some interesting thoughts I wanted to share from my 1,000 mile journey:

• My comfort and confidence has sky rocketed compared to at first. Amazing how much a rider can develop with only seat time.
  • Gratification, freedom, appreciation, and I feel so much more alive when riding.
  • I look forward to every ride, and miles fly by without notice because of how much I enjoy.
  • Sleep and rest is a HUGE difference maker in the operation of a motorcycle (I ride MUCH better when fresh).
  • Lower back discomfort (tiredness) is felt but I believe I need to adjust and experiment with my posture. May also just be getting used to riding.
  • @MotoMike and @jmerod58: Relaxing my hands and gripping the fuel tank with my thighs has made a positive difference in my riding stability. Thank you.
  • Received countless waves from other motorcyclists and I've started to catch on with this friendly habit as well. Feels like a brotherhood of us.
  • Would love to acquire a supersport down the road, but not in a hurry because of how satisfied I am with my 300R. Actually, I was looking forward to the next bike, but I think I will delay my thoughts because this machine has so much to offer, and I don't think I'll grow tired for a good while.
  • I tend to try out different interests, and I don't see myself giving up motorcycling anytime soon... Especially because it's a means of legitimate transportation. And everyone needs transportation these days, right?
  • Thank you Honda for delivering on performance, ease of riding (user friendly), fuel efficiency, the looks, build quality, low maintenance, affordable price tag, and for the fun to ride factor.

Please feel free to post your comments and thoughts which I would be very happy to hear. :)

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Honestly, I'm very happy with the amount of power and torque which can be felt when riding this bike. Yes, my expectations were very low anyway, so that may be a reason. The torque can really be felt in stop & go city riding, and the passing power is incredible.

The sound of the bike: It has a very macho sound and sensation when accelerating from lower RPM's. When I take it up to redline, it transforms into a very race oriented sound which is amazing.

I get a lot of looks and comments from people. The bike definitely looks faster than it is.

The bike creates a lot of vibration when taking it to higher RPM's. Almost feels like the motor is going to explode out of the chassis. But I like it, and it's a raw feeling.
Nice write up Fanatic, congrats on clocking up 1000mls in the saddle.
Being your first bike you will naturally be happy with the amount of power, its harder going down in power after riding a bigger bike - but I'm not complaining either! I'm continually surprised at how quick it is for a single cylinder machine of just 286cc capacity.

Have you changed your exhaust yet because if not then I'm intrigued by your observations of the standard exhaust note! Lol But if you like it then that's all that matters...

Yeah I get way more positive comments too on this bikes looks than I did with the 250R. Honda really nailed the styling this time round. Most of my friends are surprised when I tell them the frame is the same as the 250 as they think the bike looks bigger.

I'm not so fussed on the vibration tho, I find it more of a tingling annoying vibe then a soulful one like a V twin can have.

Anyways, glad your enjoying he bike and being part of the brotherhood. Down here in New Zealand we wave too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would definitely think about getting an exhaust. It did not take me long to get comfortable riding on the highway but all I could hear is the engine screaming. I put an exhaust on and now I hear the muffler instead of the engine so it just make it a little easier to cruise at 70-80.

Everyone that sees the bike asks if it is fast and I say no and they all say im lying. So it has the look of a fast bike. I not 100% satisfied with the torque and power but im happy I didn't get a bigger bike for my first bike. Its a little too cold right now for me to ride but I was only spending about 7 to $8 a week for gas to go to work so for what I got it for im happy about it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts