Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
From my research the bulb type is 1157 but PLEASE note below...

If you throw a tower (ebay) LED bulb into the rear brake light I can almost guarantee you that it will be dimmer and harder for cars behind you to see. The reflector is designed to harness the light shooting out of a normal bulb, the generic LED's that you find on eBay/Amazon shoot out light to the left and right instead of into the reflector. This leads to your brake light being harder for the person behind you to see, even if your bulb is 3x "brighter" than the stock bulb.

If you really want to go LED, you should check out first to see if the CBR250R LED tail light assemblies will fit on our bikes (the diagrams look very similar, it might fit).

If not, then get a bulb designed to reproduce the light pattern from a 1157 bulb. Try these Philips designed bulbs, they are excellent compared to any other bulb you'll find for the price.

It's very important to note that the light that the driver sees behind you is not coming directly from the bulb, it's being harnessed by the reflector and reflected back more intensely to whomever is behind you. Generic tower LED's can't do that. There are a number of other reasons not to use them, including cheap LED's that fail, poor quality construction and horrible heat dissipation which leads to them dropping in intensity by 50% within a few minutes of use (and subsequent failure).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have looked at the Phillips led bulbs. They have a very different look than the 'ebay' style cluster led bulbs. There is even a YouTube video of a 300f I believe with these Philips and he does distance tests at different times of the night and day. After pricing them @ $50, I think I would much rather spend the money on a true led reflector taillight like you suggest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have looked at the Phillips led bulbs. They have a very different look than the 'ebay' style cluster led bulbs. There is even a YouTube video of a 300f I believe with these Philips and he does distance tests at different times of the night and day. After pricing them @ $50, I think I would much rather spend the money on a true led reflector taillight like you suggest.
Let me know if you find that video. I was told that Philips has spent millions on these Vision LED's and for certain vehicles (like the Honda Accord) they actually meet the DOT requirements which is a first for a LED bulb. They also dissipate heat well so there isn't a drop in intensity. Here is a review I did for XenonDepot for my coupe.

Philips 7443 LED bulb review on a 2013 Honda Accord Coupe

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
I replaced my tail light with a LED one 2011 2012 2013 Honda CBR 250R 2015 CBR300R CB300F LED Tail Light Sequential Clear It's also on sale at Amazon, but why not buying from the original place (shipping wasn't free on Amazon).
To me this is an improvement over the original tail light:
- it's super bright, super visible from behind the bike
- if flashes when I start braking. That's a feature I wanted. (there are a few flashing types you can select, but I picked the default of a few brief flashes for the first second)
- it's LED, so it comes up a fraction of second sooner than incandescent lights.
- I've not measured, but I doubt it uses more power. Likely a tiny bit less.

On the negative side of things: this was a gigantic pain to remove. And I managed to break a few small tabs on the very top cover at the rear of the bike. Still fits solidly, but I suppose it could rattle now. I *might* spend $25 to get the parts. Time will tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts