Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't say that I'm happy about my brand new bike falling over.

No damage to fairings but the barend and side mirror are scuffed up as well as the turn signal. The brake pedal lost some of its paint and there are scratches on the exhaust.

I guess I can you use this as an excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust.

1) Does anyone have any aftermarket barends that they can recommend? It would be nice if they were available in red to match my bike.

2) Should I just replace the one mirror with an OEM one or are there aftermarket ones that are cheaper and better than OEM?

3) Any recommendations for flush turn signals?

Thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bummer m8, maybe worth removing stand and taking half an inch of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The long kickstand was one of my complaints about the bike when I first got it, as well as many other peoples'. After having it for a year though I find that things have stretched out a bit and the bike leans a little more on the stand than it did brand new, and I've learned to. Be very careful about where I park it it to make sure it was leaning enough. If you do decide to shorten the stand, make sure you don't take too much off. Even 1/4" would be plenty, or even easier, once it's off the bike you could just bend it out a bit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow exactly the same thing that happened the same week I had mine. I do have to agree that my bike leans more now that it used to.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, mine has stretched out a little too and isn't quite as upright but everything is tight. Still it's too upright. I always turn the bike to the lock position even if I don't lock it too which helps lean the bike a little more. My issue is getting off the bike. When it is too upright, I can't use the gravity to push against to help me and my short stature with dismounting. Funny, the R3s lean too far toward the kickstand which for me is even worse cause there you have to push the bike upright to move it, etc. which takes some effort. Somewhere on the forum someone posted an aftermarket stand that sold for $110 or so as I recall and was adjustable. That looked pretty good for the Hondas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine tipped over on uneven ground. I had a scuff to the bar end, exhaust, foot peg, and front brake caliper. Mine fell into the curb, so the exhaust kind of rolled it and made it kind of softly fall.

I'm getting a new exhaust soon, but not because of that.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Can't say that I'm happy about my brand new bike falling over.

No damage to fairings but the barend and side mirror are scuffed up as well as the turn signal. The brake pedal lost some of its paint and there are scratches on the exhaust.

I guess I can you use this as an excuse to get an aftermarket exhaust.

1) Does anyone have any aftermarket barends that they can recommend? It would be nice if they were available in red to match my bike.

2) Should I just replace the one mirror with an OEM one or are there aftermarket ones that are cheaper and better than OEM?

3) Any recommendations for flush turn signals?

Thanks.
Most barends that you'll find are cheap. The stock ones are pretty heavy and do their purpose. Aftermarket ends are usually very light and just for looks. You can find very good heavy aftermarket ones but they are $$$ and from the ones I have found like that are usually still just as boring looking as the stock ones. Take a little black Sharpie and just color in the scratches. :angel:

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Haha yeah mine too I was thinking maybe the bolts loosened up but haven't had free chance to check if they were tight. My kick stands really floppy now and it has a little bit more lean than stock.
I replaced my sidestand for other reasons, but upon replacement I found out why it loosened up over time and became a bit sloppy. The frame mount and the metal on the top of the kickstand rub together and after some time the metal grinds an indentation into both the frame and kickstand. Nothing bends it's just the wear of metal against metal. When putting on my new stand I put 2 Nylon washers on either side of the new stand and put the bolt back through. It has no slop at all now and I'll just replace the Nylon washers again over time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most barends that you'll find are cheap. The stock ones are pretty heavy and do their purpose. Aftermarket ends are usually very light and just for looks. You can find very good heavy aftermarket ones but they are $$$ and from the ones I have found like that are usually still just as boring looking as the stock ones. Take a little black Sharpie and just color in the scratches. :angel:
+1, this works pretty well. I dinged a column in a parking garage in my black car (white on white, early in the morning, stupid move), a couple minutes with a sharpie and not a single person has ever noticed.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Regarding the title of this thread... I'm not sure it's fair to blame the length of the side stand for a bike blowing over in high winds. One, it's a relatively light bike. Two, it has a fair amount of surface area where a strong broadside wind could certainly blow it over.

If you have no inside parking alternative, maybe the key to preventing this sort of thing is to park the bike where it is protected from direct winds. Or use tie-down straps to secure it, like they do with small aircraft that is parked outside on the tarmac.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
+1, this works pretty well. I dinged a column in a parking garage in my black car (white on white, early in the morning, stupid move), a couple minutes with a sharpie and not a single person has ever noticed.
I had a boo boo on a black part as well and a fine point Sharpie did wonders. I actually have to look hard to find the spot. I don't tell anyone about it though and I guarantee they would never see it either:devil:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Regarding the title of this thread... I'm not sure it's fair to blame the length of the side stand for a bike blowing over in high winds. One, it's a relatively light bike. Two, it has a fair amount of surface area where a strong broadside wind could certainly blow it over.

If you have no inside parking alternative, maybe the key to preventing this sort of thing is to park the bike where it is protected from direct winds. Or use tie-down straps to secure it, like they do with small aircraft that is parked outside on the tarmac.
I would definitely blame the stand. The bike stock sits so upright it is downright unsettling. You have to be mindful when you park it. At my university for example the reserved motorcycle parking is on a slight incline and none of the bikes have a problem backing up into the spot and parking with a healthy amount of lean on the kickstand. My 300r on the other hand has to be parked forward otherwise it will easily be knocked over by a gust as has already once happened!

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

The side stand definately sits the bike far to upright. It's ok at home as can use my paddock stand. Absolutely no good when out and about and trying to find a decent place with an incline the park to b***dy thing. Massive boo boo by Honda.

Reactions: missfrizzle

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree. A little more leaning to the side would be very helpful. Does anybody have an idea how to improve that ?

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
adjustable side stand from ebay or cut and shut the stock one
To me it's a design fault, have to see what dealer says about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts