Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fairly fair comparison of two single cylinder machines with only a 37cc difference between them.
Both machines built in Asian factories too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had two, twin cylinder 250, Chinese bikes, they were made by "Jonway" and called Gusto Rumba, supposed to be touring bikes, they were high maintenance and low power.
Brakes.... Terrible stopping power, replaced both rear brake cylinders and one front since the aluminium had turned to dust and the level glass had fallen out.
Clutch cable snapped could not get another, even from the manufacturer, or the bike shop who had sold them in Bangkok, bring it to us we fix???? A helpful Thai guy found that the Honda VRF800 clutch cable was the right length, but I needed to make up an adaptor sleeve to take the extra wire length.
Floats stuck on the carbs and petrol poured out. They had only been standing 4 weeks while I were offshore. Stripped down and cleaned by myself, found so many missing screws and loose screws.
Lights..... So poor tried fitting better lamps, one look at the very thin wiring and thought "Not a good idea".
Tyres.... Had the same grip as polished wood, going around gentle bends had the back step out on more than one occasion.
Rust, sprouted out everywhere, WD40 sprayed everywhere to slow it down.
Pillion... Take a passenger they were sat so high up the bike became unstable.
I could go on.... Build quality was a joke, intended to take the best from both and make a half decent bike, totaled up cost on add on improvements. Bought a Honda.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To be fair to Hyosung they are made in Korea not China. I've not heard a lot of bad press about them here in New Zealand.
Not saying your Chinese bikes weren't rubbish though, I'm sure they were. :D
Apologies offered.
Must remember to engage brain, before driving off with keyboard nonsense.

I know those bikes, after living in Geoje Island, South Korea, at Samsung shipyards. Were doing commissioning on 6th Generation drillships, seen plenty of that manufacturer bikes.

China have been making strides to get into the 200-300cc Asian market, methinks the Jonways have scarred me:eek:

Google Jonway motorcycles, some lovely looking bikes. But I would not touch them

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had two, twin cylinder 250, Chinese bikes, they were made by "Jonway" and called Gusto Rumba, supposed to be touring bikes, they were high maintenance and low power . . . I could go on.... Build quality was a joke, intended to take the best from both and make a half decent bike, totaled up cost on add on improvements. Bought a Honda.

You voluntarily handed another person actual, negotiable money for that purple thing? Were you under duress, like maybe at gunpoint? That thing looks like a brain tumor and a rectal aneurysm had a baby, and that baby had an extra chromosome. I think I might have opted for the bullet.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Somebody I know back in the UK - he's 'that guy down the pub who will buy any piece of faeces off you if it's cheap enough' - just bought a 'Skyjet 125'. I had to Google it.

He said it was dirt cheap and my Googling explained why. Not only are they made in China, where cheese metal is widely employed, but they are apparently shipped in crates, to be assembled by the buyer. His was second-hand, so was already assembled. But by who?

Frankly, the idea gives me the heebie-jeebies. Apart from the suspect materials used, the ancient design DNA and the assembly lottery, if ever there was a place you don't want to use a cheaply-constructed piece of you-know-what, it's the UK, with its cruddy weather and liberal use of salt on winter roads. Then add into this alarming scenario, tyres made of greased bakelite.....

I have my fingers crossed for him.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You voluntarily handed another person actual, negotiable money for that purple thing? Were you under duress, like maybe at gunpoint? That thing looks like a brain tumor and a rectal aneurysm had a baby, and that baby had an extra chromosome. I think I might have opted for the bullet.
Well they only cost 40,000 baht each. A Honda click scooter was 46,000 baht.

The bikes were okay poodling about Pattaya when home from offshore.
But, I suppose you would not agree with me spending my money as I felt on Thai GoGo dancers and bar girls to come back to my home from 2004 until 2015, along with frequenting 'gentleman clubs' in the afternoon
Being single, working for a drilling company with a good package of benefits?? Sometimes political correction and logic does not overcome the "It's peanut money" Syndrome.
Being peanut money, gave both away free, having 5 bikes in the workshop took up to much room

If you Google BMW bikes you will find a bmw with the same top end styling. Have attached similar. So good to know your thoughts about BMW styling :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you Google BMW bikes you will find a bmw with the same top end styling. Have attached similar. So good to know your thoughts about BMW styling :D

Similar in only the loosest sense imaginable. It's like the designers found some street urchin with Down syndrome, gave the kid LSD, showed him a picture of the BMW, and asked him to recreate that picture using a purple-dyed turd as a crayon. I felt like I needed a rape shower after looking at that picture.

My opinion is that your baht would've been better spent on the go-go dancers and strippers. I hear the ping-pong ball shows are a thing to behold! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Similar in only the loosest sense imaginable. It's like the designers found some street urchin with Down syndrome, gave the kid LSD, showed him a picture of the BMW, and asked him to recreate that picture using a purple-dyed turd as a crayon. I felt like I needed a rape shower after looking at that picture.

My opinion is that your baht would've been better spent on the go-go dancers and strippers. I hear the ping-pong ball shows are a thing to behold! :)
This is the grey Chinese 250 twin after after some stripping, hacking and grinding. Not finished but I would say looks a bit 70/80ish cafe racer. Only this peaks out at 80mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had two, twin cylinder 250, Chinese bikes, they were made by "Jonway" and called Gusto Rumba, supposed to be touring bikes, they were high maintenance and low power.
Brakes.... Terrible stopping power, replaced both rear brake cylinders and one front since the aluminium had turned to dust and the level glass had fallen out.
Clutch cable snapped could not get another, even from the manufacturer, or the bike shop who had sold them in Bangkok, bring it to us we fix???? A helpful Thai guy found that the Honda VRF800 clutch cable was the right length, but I needed to make up an adaptor sleeve to take the extra wire length.
Floats stuck on the carbs and petrol poured out. They had only been standing 4 weeks while I were offshore. Stripped down and cleaned by myself, found so many missing screws and loose screws.
Lights..... So poor tried fitting better lamps, one look at the very thin wiring and thought "Not a good idea".
Tyres.... Had the same grip as polished wood, going around gentle bends had the back step out on more than one occasion.
Rust, sprouted out everywhere, WD40 sprayed everywhere to slow it down.
Pillion... Take a passenger they were sat so high up the bike became unstable.
I could go on.... Build quality was a joke, intended to take the best from both and make a half decent bike, totaled up cost on add on improvements. Bought a Honda.
I think the company has gone now. I don't see any dealers. How are you enjoying the cold season, tom? Nice biking weather!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the company has gone now. I don't see any dealers. How are you enjoying the cold season, tom? Nice biking weather!
Hello Matthew, the weather here is quite chilly for Thailand. In the morning it is 10'c the fish are not coming up to feed and the dogs do not want to stay outside. Wearing a thick fleece is okay.

I am 90k from Korat in Chaiyaphum, where are you located.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
thomas you cant seriously compare that bmw
to the other bike.. however you define 'design'..

and japanese manufacturing quality control etc
in plants set up in usa, thailand etc, cant be
compared with arrangements with chinese
or korean manufacturers.. or materials..

china will no doubt buy most motorcycle
manufacturers into the future, esp european..

but today, even allowing for progress etc,
[eg, nice indian made royal enfield continental]
start-up countries even with experiences
[eg, hyosung with suzuki] still cant compare
with established honda manufacturing qc
or materials consistency..

[a korean bike post imo was opening
the subject of other 'cheap' production]

·
Registered
73 Posts
thomas you cant seriously compare that bmw
to the other bike.. however you define 'design'..

and japanese manufacturing quality control etc
in plants set up in usa, thailand etc, cant be
compared with arrangements with chinese
or korean manufacturers.. or materials..

china will no doubt buy most motorcycle
manufacturers into the future, esp european..

but today, even allowing for progress etc,
[eg, nice indian made royal enfield continental]
start-up countries even with experiences
[eg, hyosung with suzuki] still cant compare
with established honda manufacturing qc
or materials consistency..

[a korean bike post imo was opening
the subject of other 'cheap' production]
Hello Shisoshin,

Not trying to compare like with like with my last post, more like showing how you can take an original bike and change it's appearance/origin. Enough posters on here are talking about naked 300R custom bikes. I think that, that two wheeled bag of bolts and poor quality engineering can look retro, albeit beneath it all it is still crap. More flatters to deceive than anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts