Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting on several forums about not being able to adjust the chain to spec on the CB300R(this has nothing to do with the CBR or F) and getting no response I guess no one had given it much thought-problem is if the chain is set anymore than 25mm from the bottom of the swing arm and you push up the chain hits the swing arm before it makes a complete arc to get a accurate measurement which is 30-40mm-manual says special tools are needed and to see your dealer--to adjust the chain you need special tools what's up with that---dealer no help we just adjust it till it touches the swing arm--so a call to Mother Honda was in order they inturn had to contact the engineers in Thailand because they had no idea-answer is a special tool is needed which is not available to the public but the Motion Pro slack tool will work with just a little modification -so I bought one and I can seeing it working by adding shims to the top to make up for the arc of the chain-more to come -little things like this bug the hell out of me

Premium Member
After posting on several forums about not being able to adjust the chain to spec on the CB300R(this has nothing to do with the CBR or F) and getting no response I guess no one had given it much thought-problem is if the chain is set anymore than 25mm from the bottom of the swing arm and you push up the chain hits the swing arm before it makes a complete arc to get a accurate measurement which is 30-40mm-manual says special tools are needed and to see your dealer--to adjust the chain you need special tools what's up with that---dealer no help we just adjust it till it touches the swing arm--so a call to Mother Honda was in order they inturn had to contact the engineers in Thailand because they had no idea-answer is a special tool is needed which is not available to the public but the Motion Pro slack tool will work with just a little modification -so I bought one and I can seeing it working by adding shims to the top to make up for the arc of the chain-more to come -little things like this bug the hell out of me
My new Aprilia has same issue. Spec of chain 'vertical deflection' in the badly translated manual is 30mm but the top of the chain hits the swing arm before you reach this point. Just to add more confusion it goes on to say - chain must not be able to touch underside part of the swingarm.
Go figure. Luckily I've been around bikes enough to be able to still grab it and get a feel for how correct it is despite it whacking the bottom of the swingarm.

While I've got my soap box out: In the manual under Engine oil change it says - The engine oil may only be checked and changed by an authorized Aprilia dealer. 馃槚:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: airhead83

Registered
Go figure. Luckily I've been around bikes enough to be able to still grab it and get a feel for how correct it is despite it whacking the bottom of the swingarm.

While I've got my soap box box out: In the manual under Engine oil change it says - The engine oil may only be checked and changed by an authorized Aprilia dealer. 馃槚:ROFLMAO:
And what is it you haven't figured out? Having a rare and beautiful high maintenance motorcycle is not so different than a beautiful high maintenance woman. You may be be capable of taking care of them, but in the long run... it's gonna cost you. :p

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I burned way to many brain cells over this and Honda never called me back-bottom line after a lot of experimenting on the CB300R if the chain hangs 27-30 below the rubber swing arm protector the up ward arc is 5-6 mm after the chain hits the swing arm so add this to the hang figure and get the total measurement-my hang is 27 mm add 5mm and get 32 mm -I'm done with this and satisfied with my findings

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For got to mention after all this I went and tracked down a new one and the hang was 30 mm add the 5 mm you get 35 mm and that's what's on the swing arm sticker-guess I could have a either written the measurement down when the bike was new or just go find a new one and measure it-but where is the fun in that -either way I still would have not known the upward arc and now I do--

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My new Aprilia has same issue. Spec of chain 'vertical deflection' in the badly translated manual is 30mm but the top of the chain hits the swing arm before you reach this point. Just to add more confusion it goes on to say - chain must not be able to touch underside part of the swingarm.

While I've got my soap box box out: In the manual under Engine oil change it says - The engine oil may only be checked and changed by an authorized Aprilia dealer. 馃槚:ROFLMAO:
You caught my attention with the statement--oil must be changed by authorized dealer-is this one of those bike that if the dealer doesn't reset the computer after a service the bikes display goes out or locks like a Duck or some the the other European bikes

Premium Member
...Having a rare and beautiful high maintenance motorcycle is not so different than a beautiful high maintenance woman. You may be be capable of taking care of them, but in the long run... it's gonna cost you. :p
Probably why all my girlfriends thus far have been 'middle of the road' easy maintenance types. Just dont tell them that!

You caught my attention with the statement--oil must be changed by authorized dealer-is this one of those bike that if the dealer doesn't reset the computer after a service the bikes display goes out or locks like a Duck or some the the other European bikes
Hmm, not sure but I've got 8,000km's to sort that info out as the service intervals are every 10K (6K miles) due to the full synthetic oil. I'm thinking I will bring that 2nd service forward a bit as there could still be fine metallic particles in the oil from the bedding in process.

Getting back to the chain tensions.... the last two bikes I have bought brand new prior to the Aprilia had their chains strung up way too tight when I went to collect them. The Aprilia dealer saw me checking the 660's chain in the showroom before I even swung a leg over it and said to me quote: "this isnt our first rodeo" lol.

Reactions: airhead83

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a call back from Honda -answer is we honestly don't know at this time and have no idea what special tools are needed to adjust the chain as per the manual because we don't show any-and this is what I expected so not disappointed-I explained what I did to come up with the 5 mm over arc theory and the standard answer from them-interesting we'll check into that

Registered
way back in the day when bikes came with center stands, the "best" way to get a proper chain tension was to put the swingarm in a straight line drawn through the countershaft sprocket and rear axle. Hard to do now a days. I've gone slacker and just do it by the method given in the owners manual.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's how I did it too back in the day alot of bikes had centerstands but no side stand and no body used a ruler fingers did all the measuring- so how are you planning to adjust per owners manual when the chain hits the swingarm before an accurate measurement can be taken-as I said just adjust it so it hangs 25-30mm below the swingarm rubber guide and you'll be in spec

Registered
I haven't had to adjust my chain yet since I only have a couple hundred miles on the bike now but I might go by your suggestion for measuring the slack. My FZ07 calls for 2.00-2.20" chain slack and I believe this figure was good for my CB500F and SFV650 when I had those two bikes. I do have an ABBA stand but it's a hassle connecting the bike to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being your bike is new measure how much the chain hangs without touching it below the rubber strip on the bottom of the swing arm and let me know

Registered
ok, measuring down from the rubber pad to the middle of the chain link was 1". I measured at roughly the center point of the pad. I depressed the chain and it gave about 1/4" and pushing upward, it contacted the rubber pad. This was with the bike leaning against a wall and close to standing vertically. I'm guessing the chain has 1/2"or so slack at this point. Doesn't sound like the figures given in the manual but this is the way it came to me from the dealer. Revision: I should measure from the middle of the chain which is at the end of the rubber pad. Using this method, chain play is right at the 1" number. I believe the dealer set up was good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try this top of the chain to bottom of rubber strip-after I figured out what the sag was I found a new bike CB300R and measured it 1" 1/4" or 30mm I set mine at 27mm- Honda might just get back to me again after they Contact the engineers in Thailand-hard for me to believe this has been going on since 2019 when the bike came out and nobody asked how to do this

Registered
Try this top of the chain to bottom of rubber strip-after I figured out what the sag was I found a new bike CB300R and measured it 1" 1/4" or 30mm I set mine at 27mm- Honda might just get back to me again after they Contact the engineers in Thailand-hard for me to believe this has been going on since 2019 when the bike came out and nobody asked how to do this
I don鈥檛 know how this would work. When chain hits bottom of chain guard how do you know the chain will only go up 5 more mm? What if a lot of slack it could travel up 10mm past the point.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don鈥檛 know how this would work. When chain hits bottom of chain guard how do you know the chain will only go up 5 more mm? What if a lot of slack it could travel up 10mm past the point.
First off this only applies to the 2019 up CB300R-so how do I know because I made a simulator to measure chain slack if the swing arm would not be there and after I did all that I found a new CB300R to measure it spot on to my measurements so if you have a CB300R adjust it as I said in my last post and your good

1 - 17 of 17 Posts