Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been adjusting chains all my life but with these bikes having such a small back sprocket the chain hits the swing arm to early to get and accurate measurement-what am I missing-the CB300R calls for 35mm- if I adjust it so it just touches the swing arm I get 30mm can't go any farther than touching the swing arm-I know it's simple just can't see it

·
Registered
14 Posts
My CBR300R calls for 25mm or 1" Freeplay.

When I adjusted mine, I used a stand, went to about the middle and used a tape measurer. I adjusted it to slightly over 1" (28.5mm). Max you can go is like 1 7/8", or 1 15/16" (49mm).

You have to look at the arrow. If you are in red after adjustment, and not in the green. Chain needs replacement if old/original, or you may need to shorten it if it's new/too big.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking at it several more times and coming to the conclusion there is no way to get 35mm slack before it hits the swing arm I came up with a plan that will work-but said the old ways worked than and will now-so now I sit on the bike and pull up on the top side of the chain to feel the slack-just like we did in the 60's

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking at it several more times and coming to the conclusion there is no way to get 35mm slack before it hits the swing arm I came up with a plan that will work-but said the old ways worked than and will now-so now I sit on the bike and pull up on the top side of the chain to feel the slack-just like we did in the 60's
Also if that is your bike in the pictures you may want to recheck it when the bike is on the side stand(as per the manual) because being the suspension is so soft the swingarm is in a different arc with the tire off the ground and the chain may now be to tight

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also if that is your bike in the pictures you may want to recheck it when the bike is on the side stand(as per the manual) because being the suspension is so soft the swingarm is in a different arc with the tire off the ground and the chain may now be to tight
It's fine.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
25 - 30mm is all you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts