Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a post recently about tools needed or should have, but I’m adjusting the chain soon and I was wondering if the 1/2 torque wrench is really necessary. Would a 3/8 suffice? The price difference is not that much but it would mean buying additional sockets for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rear axle tightening torque is 65 ft-lbs.
That is well past the upper limit of my 3/8" drive beam type torque wrench. Yours may be different.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
owned/maintained 7 road hondas without a torque wrench,, altho had to get a breaker bar to release a cbr300r axle nut...
these bikes were designed for basic servicing using their tool kit tools..
tools are an extension of the human brain, and 'good' of course,, but you dont need special tools for basic fasteners incl sump plugs and axle nuts [esp not for oil filter covers etc]...

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
I agree with the above comments regarding the preferred method of hand tightening small low torque fasteners by "feel".

That said, for higher torque fasteners like axle nuts, motor mount bolts, steering components, and critical internal engine fasteners, using an accurate torque wrench of the correct size is necessary to ensure that those fasteners are fully tightened to the correct specification. Without using a torque wrench on these critical fasteners, there is a risk that they could be under torqued and possibly come loose.

@bdubz ... If you're going to buy a torque wrench, get a decent quality "click style" 3/8" drive unit with the 20-100 ft-lbs. range. And as r100 suggested, you can get a 3/8" to 1/2" drive adaptor and a 24mm 1/2" drive socket for tightening the axle nut.

As for 1/2" drive torque wrenches, they are very useful for working on cars & trucks. Motorcycles just don't have enough fasteners calling for torque values above 50 ft-lbs to justify having one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As for 1/2" drive torque wrenches, they are very useful for working on cars & trucks. Motorcycles just don't have enough fasteners calling for torque values above 50 ft-lbs to justify having one.
The only ones that come to mind are axle nuts, steering stem nut, and perhaps what is holding the alternator rotor to the crankshaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts