Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How so we remove the rubberish chain alignment thing that the chain glides on. My piece is really grimy and I would like to clean it when I clean my chain. Is this something we don't remove?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I would clean the chain/sprockets and slider with Kerosene and let it dry over night. I see no issue cleaning the slider..but I could be wrong. Then wipe with a clean cloth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdFWY4ILj78

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
simple brushes are handy in cleaning your chain
as part of maintenance, such as two toothbrushes
tied together, and various kitchen type brushes
some perfect for chain cleaning..

your chain slider must pick up gunk from the chain
and road gunk etc, depending on your area etc..
its not a moving part and just sits there taking
chain contact to protect the swing arm metal
underneath from chain wear against it..

but you can easily brush it with a toothbrush
and detergent or kero or suchlike..

it is - good - to be finicky about your chain
and bike generally.. this is a good attitude..
what might be obsessive in some things
is a good thing, for your motorcycle..

some riders dont understand their motorcycles
and dont bother maintaining them properly,
even simple things like their chains
which should be,, well maintained..

dont listen to anyone trying to tell you
to not bother about this or that..
you have a good attitude and
observation towards your bike..
thats the first thing..
now enjoy it all..

including keeping her in top nick...

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I clean it in place using a toothbrush and kero when I'm doing my chain and sprockets. Usually I lift the chain off the slider by hand so I can give it a good scrub.

Reactions: MotoMike

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
How so we remove the rubberish chain alignment thing that the chain glides on. My piece is really grimy and I would like to clean it when I clean my chain. Is this something we don't remove?
No need to remove the chain slider in order to clean the crud off of it.

As others said, use some small plastic bristle brushes and Kerosene or Diesel fuel (either solvent cuts the chain crud really well, and won't harm the chain o-rings). Then wash everything with a strong mixture of dish soap & water, followed by a rinse with clear water... dry everything off, then lube the chain with a quality motorcycle specific o-ring chain lube.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks everybody. I ended up not removing it. I used a towel and spun the rear wheels while wedging it between the chain and the slider and used the friction to make it slide up and down the chain slider. It is clean now :) around my neighborhood we have new road construction so a lot of tar was stuck on my bike.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I use 90 weight gear oil as chain lube, once a week or after it rains, takes 5 minutes to do.
Works like a Scott oiler and no greasy crud that ends up like a grinding paste on the chain, just brush on and wipe off excess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts