Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
How are your chains wearing, my bike has 3600 miles on it and the chain wear indicator is at halfway, sprockets are like new. When I got the bike I had to adjust the chain 2-3 times in the first thousand miles for wear, I am a bit over the top with my chain if its bone dry all week I will wipe it clean and lube twice a week (150 miles) and if wet or riding in rain I dry it every night when I get in and re lube for the next day as part of a routine, get home park bike , nip in and take gear off, put bike in garage and check oil level, dry and lube if wet.
My CG had a 428 chain that would give me 12-13 thousand miles, not sure if this will last 8 at this rate, chain is corrosion free an look mint, I dont thrash the bike either, how are others chains fairing please?.

Mark

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Mark..I have seen you write this before..what is your "CG"? At the moment I can not comment on the 300 chain because it is in storage but the chain on FZ6R only needed one adjustment while had it (4000 KMS)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry m8, Honda CG125, common to just say CG here, seemed to need a lot of adjustment when it was new. Just curious to see how others are wearing, doubt if Honda will replace it even with how well I look after it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sorry m8, Honda CG125, common to just say CG here, seemed to need a lot of adjustment when it was new. Just curious to see how others are wearing, doubt if Honda will replace it even with how well I look after it.
I had mine adjusted about 2 weeks in then another 2 more times during the next 2 months. Now I have had it for 7 months and it's holding steady.. I'd say it's about halfway on those markings too. Nothing to worry about I have heard this same thing 100 times.
Up a front sprocket, that will bring the chain reading level back down to the beginning position

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
You guys have got nothing to worry about, 12K miles and still going strong. Ive hardly adjusted it after the initial wear.
On my last New Year ride I did over 2K miles and didnt adjust it when I got home. And I ride it hard and fast mostly.

Cant stress enough the importance of regular cleaning tho, sprocket teeth as well. Road grime is like grinding paste to a chain.

One of these days too I'm going to take a photo of my aluminium rear sprocket and post it to show all the doubters that they do last. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Almost 15,000 miles on the original chain and sprockets on my 250R. I expect to get another 5000 to 7000 miles before replacement. I clean the chain & sprockets aprox. every 1000 miles, and lube every 500 miles. IMO using a good quality lubricant is key to long service life. I've been using Bel-Ray Super Clean for a number of years on all my bikes, with very few chain adjustments required.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, will just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Thanks for the replies, will just keep an eye on it.
Totally normal for some reason on the 300's. Happened to me and my tech said every 300 they have sold has the same issue for the first couple months, then it's fine. Maybe they are over-tightening the chains when they build them. Dunno if that is done at the factory or if that's part of the dealer build when they get the bike in the crate.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Totally normal for some reason on the 300's. Happened to me and my tech said every 300 they have sold has the same issue for the first couple months, then it's fine. Maybe they are over-tightening the chains when they build them. Dunno if that is done at the factory or if that's part of the dealer build when they get the bike in the crate.
There's not much in the way of a dealer 'build', these bikes are nearly ready to ride out of the crate... but part of a dealers PDI is checking things like chain free play, and adjusting it if necessary.

When I bought my 250R, I found they (factory/dealer) had set the chain free play a bit on the tight side of the specification. I prefer to run chain free play on the loose side of the spec... another tip for getting long service life from the chain & sprockets.

Reactions: mikal and Ravinoth

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have just adjusted my chain tension tonight and for some reason I am at maximum adjustment with 30mm of chain movement. I have 14400km on the bike now and the chain appears fine and the sprockets don't look even close to worn. what other possible causes are there for this before I look at replacing these?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just adjusted my chain tension tonight and for some reason I am at maximum adjustment with 30mm of chain movement. I have 14400km on the bike now and the chain appears fine and the sprockets don't look even close to worn. what other possible causes are there for this before I look at replacing these?
If you're adjusted all the way, then the only thing I can think of is to replace the chain (and sprockets too). That doesn't sound like a ton of miles to put on a chain, but if the chain is as stretched as you said it is, then there really isn't anymore room to extend it's life. The rollers and brushings are all worn down.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
See my previous post, #6 on page 1 of this thread.

Can you post up some pic's of your sprockets?

Even though you've got no adjustment left, with 30mm of free play you'll be able to continue run with it for awhile, as that is about right for the free play spec. Obviously when the free play becomes greater, you'll need to replace the chain & sprockets.

Don't make the common mistake of thinking you can just replace the chain, without replacing the sprockets at the same time. Worn chains and sprockets need to be replaced as a set... to do otherwise is just throwing money away.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
419 Posts
One of these days too I'm going to take a photo of my aluminium rear sprocket and post it to show all the doubters that they do last. :laugh:

Aluminum sprocket wear differentiation is minimal because the engine is only a 300. An R1 for instance would rip through an aluminum sprocket much more quickly than a steel one. Its simply a fact that aluminum is softer, the advantage is of course weight reduction. It also of course sounds like you take excellent care of your chain and sprockets which helps.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Are you running a 15T front sprocket? Because if your not and your interested in trying one then now is the time to do it. It will get rid of one link in your chain length and give you some adjustment.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are you running a 15T front sprocket? Because if your not and your interested in trying one then now is the time to do it. It will get rid of one link in your chain length and give you some adjustment.

that's the plan now, next pay im buying a new chain, front and rear sprocket.
any recommendations for upgrades keeping in mind I want the new set to last at least 20,000km this time

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
that's the plan now, next pay im buying a new chain, front and rear sprocket.
any recommendations for upgrades keeping in mind I want the new set to last at least 20,000km this time
Just make sure you get a reasonable quality chain so you don't prematurely wear out your sprockets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts