Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into changing my own tires and had a few questions.

I've read people say you should get your wheel balanced after you change your tire. Is this necessary, if so would it be easier to have a shop do the whole process properly?

Also, how difficult is it to change the tire without scraping the black wheels for a newbie? If they were silver I'd worry less.

Anything else I should take into account?

·
Registered
487 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check where you live. Here (USA/Seattle), shops take over $30 for balancing and mounting if you buy from them. It's closer to $50 otherwise. (that's when you bring the wheels, otherwise it is over $50, more for the rear wheel vs front of course).

Best is to observe someone doing it. (I personally went with one guy doing that from his home for $30 / wheel I brought - he has a motorcycle tires mounting machine that makes things really fast.)

Balancing: get a static balancer, or buy some kind of balancing "beads". DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads or Equal ? Continuous Wheel Balancing - Reduce Tire Vibration Basically something you put inside the wheel and is supposed to self-balance once the wheel is in movement. Personally I like the static balancer + sticky weights better.

If you do it yourself, mount the light point of the tire where the valve goes to simplify balance. (it's location is painted or a sticker on the new tire). Change the valve at the same time. Rubber valves are cheap. (I did have some problems with a 90 degrees metal valve and changed back to rubber - no problems).

Mostly, watch someone who knows how to do it first. You will know what to expect, and how to not scratch/damage the wheels.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Deciding in a spur of moment to get both my tires replaced, installed, and mounted / balanced on the 600RR, I paid about a hundred dollars.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Deciding in a spur of moment to get both my tires replaced, installed, and mounted / balanced on the 600RR, I paid about a hundred dollars.
You make it sound like you were kicking around the house with nothing much to do and thought 'hmm I might just pop out and blow $500 on a new set of tyres..' Lol.
:D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
back in the day used to change all my/our own tyres..
cant recall the idea of letting some stranger do it..

today they have technology to make it easier
and perhaps better.. incl balancing etc..
still depends on who does it, and how..

replacement set of pirellis [screw in rear]
by others resulted in chain too tight
and needing to get a breaker bar to move
the over tightened axle nut..

the technology and ease of someone else
doing it is a plus, but check chain tension
when you pick her up, and alignments
yourself at home..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I thought you bought it new? How could it need tyres already?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I thought you bought it new? How could it need tyres already?
You make it sound like you were kicking around the house with nothing much to do and thought 'hmm I might just pop out and blow $500 on a new set of tyres..' Lol.
:D
http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/how-forum/8402-nail-tire-plug-patch-replace.html#post100970

$330 installed including $50 mail in rebate from Dunlop. Had the flat, and decided to replace the tire and did the front as well to keep it uniform with the identical new tire. Did not go for the patch or rope plug option due to my lack of comfort / confidence in it.

I did buy the bike new with zero miles on it - now currently has about 1,500 miles. :)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was looking into changing my own tires and had a few questions.

I've read people say you should get your wheel balanced after you change your tire. Is this necessary, if so would it be easier to have a shop do the whole process properly?

Also, how difficult is it to change the tire without scraping the black wheels for a newbie? If they were silver I'd worry less.

Anything else I should take into account?
You can do the work yourself, however, there will be a good chance that you will scratch the powder coating on your wheels. Look for shops that uses "NoMar" tire changer machine. That will reduce your chances of ruining your wheels down to human error. I would definitely have your wheels balanced as well.

It should cost you roughly about $100 for the install/ balancing or less plus the tires. I paid about $400 for my Sport Demons back then and 5k later my rear tires were shot. And those were sport touring tires. Expect less mileage on DR2's and BT-003RS. I would steer away from both, unless traction is your main focus. I currently have Pilot Street Radials and it's been great so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts