Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the bike with Danmoto's Carbon GP whatever without a muffler and no original exhaust.

At first I liked the loud beefy sound but lately it has become an annoyance.

Checked for an offer on the original exhaust at a dealer and they asked for 790 euros :rolleyes:.

Bought a fake Akra with a muffler shortly after but it's almost as loud as the Carbon GP.
Couldn't find any SH original exhausts and a new one seems way too expensive.
Anyone knows some chinese counterpart to the OEM one that is quiet or some way to quiet down (by a fair margin) the Carbon or fake Akra?

·
Registered
174 Posts
In the States, the OEM muffler or full exhaust would probably be yours for the taking. Just to clear the extra parts from someone's garage, since this is often the first thing to be modified. Just to be clear, are you talking about needing to replace the full exhaust from the head back?, and including the catalytic converter?, and muffler?? Or, just the muffler?? Because, after the "cat" is removed, you're talking a retune, controller, etc... Big difference in price. Or if it's already been done, big difference in your options..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
seems lots of universal db killers for akro exhausts.. see eg/starting point for searches;

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Exhaust-Muffler-Removable-Killer/dp/B07B22YWTD

if you can make things basic db reducers are like simple perforated tubes into outlet and/or perforated discs between end midpipe and muffler..
[my leo vince evo II had both such reducers, eu approved]

until excess noise solved sound level potentials are still in your right hand,, ie, how much throttle you use is a big factor..

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't think your going to find any after market exhaust that is as quite as stock-reason is on the CB300 the catalytic converter is in the muffler which takes away much of the noise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the States, the OEM muffler or full exhaust would probably be yours for the taking. Just to clear the extra parts from someone's garage, since this is often the first thing to be modified. Just to be clear, are you talking about needing to replace the full exhaust from the head back?, and including the catalytic converter?, and muffler?? Or, just the muffler?? Because, after the "cat" is removed, you're talking a retune, controller, etc... Big difference in price. Or if it's already been done, big difference in your options..
I'm only talking about the muffler, the final exhaust, not the whole system. I mentioned that when I asked for the price offer at the dealer. That price was for the muffler and the mounting accessories. From what I can tell everything else is stock.

seems lots of universal db killers for akro exhausts.. see eg/starting point for searches;

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Exhaust-Muffler-Removable-Killer/dp/B07B22YWTD

if you can make things basic db reducers are like simple perforated tubes into outlet and/or perforated discs between end midpipe and muffler..
[my leo vince evo II had both such reducers, eu approved]

until excess noise solved sound level potentials are still in your right hand,, ie, how much throttle you use is a big factor..
I've been holding back on throttle for that exact reason but no matter what I do it still seems too loud. The fake Akra already has its silencer but it's garbage really.

I don't think your going to find any after market exhaust that is as quite as stock-reason is on the CB300 the catalytic converter is in the muffler which takes away much of the noise
What do you mean the catalytic converter is in the muffler? For real? Is that why the OEM Muffler is so expensive?

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
What do you mean the catalytic converter is in the muffler? For real?
Yes, for real. That is why it weighs about the same as a small boat anchor.

Sometimes with those cheap mufflers you can remove the end cap off the end of the canister by drilling out the rivets or whatever and add more exhaust packing around the baffle tube and then fit it back together again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean the catalytic converter is in the muffler? For real?
Yes, for real. That is why it weighs about the same as a small boat anchor.

Sometimes with those cheap mufflers you can remove the end cap off the end of the canister by drilling out the rivets or whatever and add more exhaust packing around the baffle tube and then fit it back together again.
Well.. knowing that, I assume my CO2 emissions are also pretty screwed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
the cat is also reason for excessive [touch burn] heat in cbr300r muffler, the main impetus for switching to a leo vince carbon evoII - same as my cbr250r that for excessive weight but also add-on incongruous design..
honda did a good job imo designing the 300 muffler, except for the excessive and dangerous touch burn heat..

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Mostly legal but if I solve the noise issue I won't go looking to solve the CO2 as well..
I thought Romania would be pretty loose on stuff like that. I rode through there on my BMW R65 back in '95 on my tour of Europe and the memory that sticks in my mind is the kids throwing stones at me. Little $hits!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I thought Romania would be pretty loose on stuff like that. I rode through there on my BMW R65 back in '95 on my tour of Europe and the memory that sticks in my mind is the kids throwing stones at me. Little $hits!
Kiwi, I suspect it was the bike they disliked. Surely nothing personal. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It's the uncertainty of living in a 3rd world country, you never know what to expect from a legal standpoint (or from those little $hits).:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I'm new to the biking game, but what are the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust??? I hate the look of the stock one, especially when I see the stock exhaust on the 300r, but I don't know if I can justify the expense of a slip-on. Pretty indifferent to the sound from the stock one.
Anyone have suggestions?
I like the look of the LeoVince LV One EVO but it seems like it's the same size as the stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
So I'm new to the biking game, but what are the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust??? I hate the look of the stock one, especially when I see the stock exhaust on the 300r, but I don't know if I can justify the expense of a slip-on. Pretty indifferent to the sound from the stock one.
Anyone have suggestions?
I like the look of the LeoVince LV One EVO but it seems like it's the same size as the stock.
If you'll start at the beginning of this thread, and read through, you'll have most of your questions answered. Your post pretty much mirrors the discussion. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
bd - i had lv evo carbon s/o [cbr250r/300r] and recommend it.. difference to stock = no cat, thus lighter weight, design and general quality..
made in italy, fits perfectly, tight and close, allowing rear wheel access..
can be ridden quietly enough, altho full throttle not suitable for quiet community areas.. 250 stood out as an 'add on' and heavy design, but 300 for me looked ok design wise and for lines of bike etc,,
however, touch burns to fingers while securing uncroppable chain thru rear wheel etc, and thought of it onto a passengers leg if dropped was enough to exchange for the carbon lv slipon for cbr300r..

either way, keep the stock stored for later sale etc, keeping the lv for another 250/300, or for different riding environments..
if you go for the s/o, include practice in controlled riding, using sound feedback from your bikes new 'voice' [ eg, engine braking]..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
weight is significant on lightweight motorcycle,, esp compared to well designed tighter fitting alternative closer to your c of g..

potential engine noise can be beneficial as feedback to riding techniques, esp engine braking, but also general over revving and suchlike habits..
personal preferences [colour schemes, etc] seem relevant to some..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts