Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to buy a cheap, carbon fiber helmet, for the simple reason that Carbon fiber helmets are lighter in weight, and stronger than plastic.

Going at high speeds I realize all the more the importance of a good helmet; yet I don't want to cash out $250-$500 for a helmet I can find online for $100-150.

I wonder if cheaper >$75 carbon fiber helmets are worth looking at? (the ones below often are carbon fiber painted ABS plastic helmets, and not real Carbon fiber)

I know Carbon fiber is stronger, but if it means that the helmet is thinner, it would mean less weight, but it would also be less safe.

Also, a $30-$50 ABS helmet is usually good for lower speeds.
At higher speeds the wind buffets the helmet a lot.
If I would be buying a cheaper Carbon Fiber helmet, would it be considered a lower speed helmet?

I'm basically looking for a lighter weight, stronger carbon fiber helmet.
if it has a dual visor (sun visor) built in, it would be perfect!

Any suggestions? Experiences with some brands or Carbon Fiber helmets?

Currently looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013W5L5DA
and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HCI-75-Real...lmet-DOT-S-M-L-XL-XXL-Fast-Ship-/201388086757

but still shopping around a bit, seeing what's out there!

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I'd like to buy a cheap, carbon fiber helmet, for the simple reason that Carbon fiber helmets are lighter in weight, and stronger than plastic.

Going at high speeds I realize all the more the importance of a good helmet; yet I don't want to cash out $250-$500 for a helmet I can find online for $100-150.

I wonder if cheaper >$75 carbon fiber helmets are worth looking at? (the ones below often are carbon fiber painted ABS plastic helmets, and not real Carbon fiber)

I know Carbon fiber is stronger, but if it means that the helmet is thinner, it would mean less weight, but it would also be less safe.

If I would be buying a cheaper Carbon Fiber helmet, would it be considered a lower speed helmet?

Currently looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013W5L5DA
and
HCI 75 Real Carbon Fiber Full Face Motorcycle Helmet Dot s M L XL XXL Fast SHIP | eBay

Why on earth would you want to buy a cheap crash helmet, don't you value your life and loved ones? My last one I brought was a Shark Speed R carbon fibre. It has a sharp rating of 4 out of 5, I put a link earlier on the forum regarding the safety ratings of crash helmets. Surely you know you can have a slow off and do serious damage to yourself.
I value my life/injuries over money, so buy the best available that fits comfortably.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No sense in going into a long post as it will be completely ignored, so all I'll say is this: YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
I'd have to disagree,
The chinese are so much better with pricing their products.
If 2 helmets have the same procedures to make, one is cheaper plastic, the other is carbon fiber, the chinese would often only set the price by the surcharge of the carbon fiber over the plastic, if labor is the same.
Unlike USA, where 1 of 2 identical products could be charged double the price, just because of name brand, or because of better materials or more options, that amount to less than a few percent of the total price of the helmet...

I'm sure a $75 real carbon fiber helmet is better than an abs one. But is it better than a $100 abs one (safety wise)?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Moved thread to the proper forum.

I have neither the energy or desire to waste my time commenting on the ridiculous premise of the opening post.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

Currently looking at:
Amazon.com: Genuine Real Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Street Bike Full Face Helmet Black: Automotive
and
HCI 75 Real Carbon Fiber Full Face Motorcycle Helmet Dot s M L XL XXL Fast SHIP | eBay

When it comes to safety on a bike, I'd say the helmet is the most important item. I also believe with helmets you pay for what you get. If you really want Carbon Fiber, True Carbon that will actually hold up and not crack you want thickness. For $75 you will get at most a 10k-12k weave. that is less than 1/4 inch thick. You are better off buying a better regular helmet that is painted Carbon if that's the effect you are looking for. This is my honest opinion. Safety is very important and not something to simply buy something cheap just for the looks. Also, low speed or not if you fall/wreck at 20mph with a thin cheap helmet it will still crack your head open.
I'm not trying to be rude at all but safety is very important, but if all you can afford is in a lower price range just make sure it's at least DOT certified. As you go up in quality there are also higher certifications. Be safe

BTW you mentioned Chinese quality vs American quality etc. Make 100% sure that the DOT sticker is ON the helmet and is UNDER the 'clear coat' as well. MANY Chinese helmets that are cheap that may entice you, say DOT but are simply a sticker placed on the back or they give you the sticker separately and it is really sold as a ' NOVELTY' helmet.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dsimmo - agree on shark r helmets, my last being shark r race-r-pro carbon..
cant speak highly enough about this excellent high quality helmet..

within the many and various helmets available today
the shark r range is easy to recommend and worth
consideration by any serious motorcyclist..

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@mikal, that's what I feared, that the thinner Carbon fiber helmets would be less protective (meaning a thinner layer).

I just read up on titanium helmets, they also can be gotten quite cheap.

I wonder which one is best,
A $100 ABS plastic helmet,
A $100 Real Carbon Fiber helmet (I would say it's better protected against penetration, as it's basically an ABS helmet with a layer of Carbon fiber over it),
A $100 Titanium helmet; I believe it's an ABS helmet with a titanium layer (either anodized, or a solid shell over the ABS plastic)..

Opinions?

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I got a few cheap $30-35 helmets, which fits me perfect, and I can wear it almost forever.
The $30 helmet (now for sale on Amazon for $45) just annoys me a bit when my head starts itching (due to hair getting in between the lining).
The $35 helmet (now for sale on Amazon for $55), is my most used city helmet.

At speeds of over 70-75MPH the wind tugs too hard on those helmets, and I feel like I need a better (more aerodynamic) helmet for the interstate rides.

I also have a heavier, $125 at the time, helmet (A Gmax GM54S, for sale on Ebay for $160 ), has a rear flashing led, and 7 vents.
The front padding fell out unfortunately.
It's a great helmet for high speeds, but is uncomfortable in the city due to it's heavier weight (neck pains).

I'm looking for an alternative, that's durable and strong, yet not too light for the interstate rides.

As far as your helmet not feeling comfortable,
Most helmets have a layer of removable (washable) lining. Once you remove it, there's either padding, or foam, that you can cut (or sand off) a small piece on the spot that feels uncomfortable. Then re-attach the fabric (lining), and it should reduce that spot tension on your head.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I got a few cheap $30-35 helmets, which fits me perfect, and I can wear it almost forever.
The $30 helmet just annoys me a bit when my head starts itching (due to hair getting in between the lining).
The $35 helmet, is my most used city helmet.

At speeds of over 70-75MPH the wind tugs too hard on those helmets, and I feel like I need a better (more aerodynamic) helmet for the interstate rides.

I also have a heavier helmet has a rear flashing led, and 7 vents.
The front padding fell out unfortunately.
It's a great helmet for high speeds, but is uncomfortable in the city due to it's heavier weight (neck pains)...
Are cheap helmets not great? Apparently you actually do get what you pay for.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I'd have to disagree,
The chinese are so much better with pricing their products.
If 2 helmets have the same procedures to make, one is cheaper plastic, the other is carbon fiber, the chinese would often only set the price by the surcharge of the carbon fiber over the plastic, if labor is the same.
Unlike USA, where 1 of 2 identical products could be charged double the price, just because of name brand, or because of better materials or more options, that amount to less than a few percent of the total price of the helmet...

I'm sure a $75 real carbon fiber helmet is better than an abs one. But is it better than a $100 abs one (safety wise)?
Mee Lee, obviously it is up to you and how much you value your life/injuries etc.
I have put the Sharp rating for crash helmets on again. For your own safety please check it out, also the poor emergency services who have to pick up the pieces if you have a crash with a c rap helmet.
SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

Reactions: mikal

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@MotoMike : Well, I can live with that.
The padding was my own fault, and could have happened on any helmet.

I don't particularly notice any substantial difference between the $100 helmets sold online, and the $250 helmets sold in my local store.
The $35 helmets do feel sturdy enough to be safe, and far exceed DOT standards, but may have a more cheapish operation (eg: the windscreen or sunvisor don't slide down but click down in a less smooth way, the vent caps are of poorer quality, but with care they could last you for a long time, etc...).

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mee Lee, obviously it is up to you and how much you value your life/injuries etc.
I have put the Sharp rating for crash helmets on again. For your own safety please check it out, also the poor emergency services who have to pick up the pieces if you have a crash with a c rap helmet.
SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME
Know that in Florida, a helmet is not mandatory, partly because of the hot weather.
Most helmets would make a motorider faint due to heat, rather than offer protection on the road.
But I do try to wear it as much as possible; and thus, any helmet, no matter how cheap, is welcome, just as long as it's cool enough to wear.

There's little you can do with a 5 star rated helmet, if it's too hot to wear.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Know that in Florida, a helmet is not mandatory, partly because of the hot weather.
Most helmets would make a motorider faint due to heat, rather than offer protection on the road.
But I do try to wear it as much as possible; and thus, any helmet, no matter how cheap, is welcome, just as long as it's cool enough to wear.

There's little you can do with a 5 star rated helmet, if it's too hot to wear.
I will send you a card when you are like a cabbage in hospital after your crash.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
@mikal, that's what I feared, that the thinner Carbon fiber helmets would be less protective (meaning a thinner layer).

I just read up on titanium helmets, they also can be gotten quite cheap.

I wonder which one is best,
A $100 ABS plastic helmet,
A $100 Real Carbon Fiber helmet (I would say it's better protected against penetration, as it's basically an ABS helmet with a layer of Carbon fiber over it),
A $100 Titanium helmet; I believe it's an ABS helmet with a titanium layer (either anodized, or a solid shell over the ABS plastic)..

Opinions?
A $100 ?????? Is that all your head/life/well being is worth? What about your girl friend or family if something happens to you? For Christ sake man stop being so CHEAP and purchase a GOOD QUALITY helmet that YOU WEAR 100% every time you ride....period.

Reactions: King CobRa

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
@MotoMike : Well, I can live with that.
The padding was my own fault, and could have happened on any helmet.

I don't particularly notice any substantial difference between the $100 helmets sold online, and the $250 helmets sold in my local store.
The $35 helmets do feel sturdy enough to be safe, and far exceed DOT standards, but may have a more cheapish operation (eg: the windscreen or sunvisor don't slide down but click down in a less smooth way, the vent caps are of poorer quality, but with care they could last you for a long time, etc...).
The difference is the QUALITY of the product in the event of a crash..that is head protection....:serious:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts