• Don't let the car go - but be more noisy / visible / something else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why were you waiting in line like a car instead of filtering to the front?.You could stay back and let him in or press your horn and keep it on continuously before you get beside him.
By leaving a big gap behind the pick up,the car driver thought you were letting him in but then you accelerated as he turned in.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is your headlight flashing/blinking? The reflection from the truck looks like you modded your headlights.
I'm in California and lane split. I never lane split on a turning lane, too risky. Nobody ever follows their inner/outer lines.
Whenever I see a vehicle indicating lane changes, I slow down, not even going to risk it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Played the video twice...different people see different scenarios.. one person may view it as you leaving a gap for the car in the left lane to "cut in". Another person's view may be that the truck in front of you accelerated causing a gap that you did not expect or anticipate resulting the left lane driver trying to "cut in" thinking you were leaving a gap.

Either way you came out unscathed which is a good thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stop a car length behind the vehicle in front of you in the left tire track so he can see you in his rear view and side mirror. Leave yourself an escape route. keep your eye on the first car that comes up behind you to make sure they are going to stop. Stay two seconds behind the vehicle in front of you when traffic starts moving. Stay out of the other drivers blind spot (rear quarter panel, rear tire area) especially when his turn signal is on. Its ok to be courteous and let other drivers in.

Most of all remember you are invisible to most drivers.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
as question was 'what would you have done', i would have been
at the front of lines at the light, which is legal in my state [nsw aust]..
when filtering thru stationary lines of cars the option includes
changing lanes [eg if one side is blocked] between cars..
that empty right turn lane would have been one option [for me]
to enter clear space heading towards the front..

just repeating members advice, but the car in front took off
leaving you stationary [not 'stuck to him' ] thus leaving an opening,
which in my society is generally taken as an invitation to change..
leaving a space when cars start moving together with the other car
stopped with blinkers on means 'im stuck and must turn, will you let
me in?' - the answer being to stay close to the car in front = 'no'
or leave a space for her meaning 'ok in you come'..

this isnt a line into a theater or etc, and sometimes people do miss
their turn innocently for various reasons, so some drivers have
empathy and deliberately leave space for them to let them in..

so she would have been watching for a space, which appeared
as the first vehicle took off leaving a gap behind, which she
no doubt saw and then responded to by coming into the gap..

one time drivers are, watching, is in such situations..
looking for that gap someone leaves for them..
you did leave such a gap..

if she was just someones nice mom going somewhere
and needing to turn then, some would see appropriate
responses in signalling then entering that space..

bottom line is you simply cant trust them..

there are those who will and do demand road space
especially from pushies, scoots and motorcycles,
who cant 'fight back' against multi ton steel boxes..

ive been filtering for many years, as a safety strategy..
riders worldwide have been doing this, before
and after their [alleged] decisionmakers
accepted the positive realites and allowed
filtering, ie, between stationary or slow lines..

when youre out there alone on a motorcycle
its still 'you against them', and its still your
responsibility to place yourself in the most
advantageous road space for your own safety..

at lights etc, that space is clearly at the head of the line..
where you can see whats happening and respond,
heading into clear open road space ['motorcycle space']
away from the unpredictable herd, and while waiting
being safe from the real danger of being rear ended..

that was been a painless learning experience :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since this person is trying to "cheat the system" I am not as liable to help him if I were driving a car, but for all of the time it takes to let that one guy in front of me I would likely do it since I'm still at a stand-still. On a motorcycle, I would be even more likely to consider it since I don't trust him.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I voted without glancing at the poll results - nice that I'm with the majority on this one, haha.

The car always wins - let them proceed and get by, not worth the risk in messing up yourself or the bike.

With this said, I think you handled it well after you got into the situation. You downshifted quickly and tried to get out of the $hit hole real fast, lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would have double tapped my horn to try to keep them more alert before moving up on them with a turn signal lit. It makes people think twice. The car delayed going into the lane so it's hard to say you should have just let them in, they had a chance but didn't merge.

BTW, is a flashing high beam technically legal in WA?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the replies and the poll results. I should have let the car go.
Also being on the left side of the lane to be more visible would have been better. And last, the space I left in front of me could have been mis-interpreted by the car driver (Assuming he even saw me).

As for this " tried to get out of the $hit hole real fast, lol." that's 100% accurate. 20 years ago a drunk driver tried to run me out of the road (in a city) when I was on a 80cc scooter. (long story). So I was really scared of the driver doing something on purpose like that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BTW, is a flashing high beam technically legal in WA?
I've a headlight modulator that will modulate (not flash ;-) i.e. not 0% to 100%) either low or high beam.
That's only when there's enough light around (there's a sensor).
That's legal in the lower 48 as far as the company selling mentions.
Now with the 2 lights we have, when I have the high beam on and modulated, the low beam is on and steady. I'm not sure about that aspect versus both lights flashing together. I'm assuming that:
- unless a cop can mention the exact RCW (WA state law) on a ticket, he will not find anything wrong with it.
- as long as I do not have 2 lights modulating on opposite patterns, I'm fine.
i.e. opposing pattern (left high, right low then the other way) is what you see on some police vehicles.

I do like the extra visibility in people's mirrors. But as the days are getting shorter, I'll ride at night daily, so now I'm looking for (Steady) LED lights to add. Thinking about something like Denali DM I would mount on the front fork fender bolts. (but I think the fender is going to be a pain and require not only longer bolts, but also some spacers to clear the plastic parts).
I'll likely pull the trigger on that before next week-end.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking about something like Denali DM I would mount on the front fork fender bolts. (but I think the fender is going to be a pain and require not only longer bolts, but also some spacers to clear the plastic parts).
I'll likely pull the trigger on that before next week-end.
I did the install today of the Denali DM. That went very well. I should upload some photos.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Going up against a 2000+ lb vehicle on your motorcycle = you will lose every time.

Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and move out of the way. I watched a video recently of a guy who was on his bike and had words with a douche who was texting in his BMW. The guy in the BMW got pissed and ran over the biker, then took off. This left the biker in the hospital with no recourse, and no idea who the motorist was.

You never know who you might run into out there. Some people are nuts.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^ Agreed.

I'm not going to compete against a car just to have my hopes and dreams swatted away like a puny fly, lol.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
419 Posts
So I'm going to contradict but also agree with all of you. Competing with cars is bad and if you are less comfortable on your bike then you should definitely let the guy go in front of you. This said, you KNOW cars are going to be merging from that side, you should be on the complete left side of the lane and owning it. If it was me that guy wouldn't have come over and even if he did I would have gone around him in the other lane (I'm assuming he is jumping the line and not waiting his turn like everyone else). When you started you left a HUGE gap and you definitely should know that with a douche like that they will try and shoot through it. If you were already there they wouldn't have even considered pushing in, the little amount of space discourages it. I used to drive downtown Toronto on my bike (Gardiner Expressway) before I moved so I remember all about that type of driver. Man am I happy I left.........

To be clear, you leaving a space when you start is a safer way to ride. Just know that the a guy like that WILL then move over so be ready and ok with it.

After watching again even as you sped along the highway you should have been in the proper lane placing, that is something that makes you more visible, not just bright yellow jackets or whatever. As soon as you go to pass the car you move to the other side of the lane, protect the line and make sure people can see you in your mirrors. Also, sitting in the middle of the lane while waiting in line makes you totally invisible to most drivers around you, I bet the moron in the SUV didn't even know you were there. Keep in mind you are hiding behind a pickup truck with less than a car-length of space.

To me it is actually a little bit scary that no one else on this forum saw the situation this way. This is riding school 101.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yesterday's close call.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5XYGLiPRho
What would you have done differently?

Next time I'll let the car(s) cut in front of me, but if you have any other idea, let me know.
Thanks.
I hate impatient people that act as though they are more important than everyone else. Personally I would have stayed closer to the truck in front of you, but as there was a gap, they took advantage and you were then there. If a cop was there, the SUV would've been able to receive a ticket.

I literally had to kick a Mercedes SUV last week as she was slowly merging into me. I was honking my horn and she kept coming. To my right was a curb and a wall. So I started kicking her passenger doors! She realized someone was there and stopped. I pulled ahead to a red light and walked back to her to see what she thought she was doing.

She proceeded to tell me that her car has sensors in the mirrors that tell her if someone is there and since her mirror wasn't red, I wasn't there. I told her that the dents in her passenger door and the car behind us, that was still waiting, are evidence to the contrary. I reminded her that her sensor doesn't replace the need for her to turn her **** head! I then left her there. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a real tendency to rely on the sensors. I found that since I ride the motorcycle, I turn my head a lot more when driving my car over the week-end. I do have the side detection thingy (2014 Mazda 3 with the electronics package), but that's radar-based I think, and therefore more likely to miss a motorcycle, and even more likely to miss a bicycle (the later being a problem in the city mostly when they drive like crazy, do not stop at red lights... and somehow act surprised at the number of deaths and serious accidents for bicycles).
Anyway, you got lucky that driver reacted to you kicking the door. Mercedes are pretty good in term of noise control...
Would you consider using an aftermarket horn?
I'm thinking about buying one ("sound bomb" kind of thing), but I'm worried that I'll be tempted to use it when trying to escape the situation might be the better option. i.e. I might be tempted to be "right" with the horn instead of focusing on saving my life...
What do you think?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts