Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2019 Honda CB500X Review of Specs / Features + BIG NEW Changes Explained!

Lots of changes for 2019. When I originally went to look at the 300R and F back in 2016, I did have a slight crush on the CB500X, and now it's just insane how much better it is than it used to be.

"Engine refinements for an increase in overall power, including 3 to 4% more torque from 3,000 to 7,000 rpm.

Fuel-injector spray narrowed, fuel-droplet size optimized for improved spray penetration in intake. Improves combustion and therefore creates more linear power from first crack of the throttle through to rpm redline.

Smaller battery, repositioning of components enable increased air-intake volume and addition of filter element in tract below headlights. Straighter velocity stacks and reshaped separators between the cylinders make for decreased turbulence, resulting in improved power at every rpm.

New valve timing increases torque and improves roll-on response.

New crank-sensor system with over 2.5 times more-frequent crank-position readings and model-specific fuel-injection settings allow more linear power delivery, with emphasis on low- and midrange power and more precise throttle response.

New muffler with increased volume before and after catalytic converter. Backpressure optimized for improved low-end and midrange power. New dual-outlet muffler tip makes exhaust note racier-sounding to match new power.

New transmission gear-dog design is more precise for more accurate, sure shifting action.

New slipper clutch design adapts to load stresses for increased hook-up under heavy acceleration and reduced engine braking under downshifting.

New clutch design, with the same engineering found in the CBR1000RR, decreases lever pull by 45%, especially helpful in stop-and-go traffic. Lever shape improved as well.

Larger, 19″ front wheel for better bump absorption, improved high-speed handling.

Steering caster angle slackened by 1 degree (now 27.5 degrees) for improved handling.

New front and rear tire design with deep-grooved tread.

New shock with advanced pressure-separation design from Honda’s large sport models is more stable and predictable for improved rear-wheel tracking and traction.

Increased suspension travel (up .4 in. in front, 1.2 in. rear) for improved performance through stroke, reduced bottoming and increased ground clearance.

On ABS version, upgraded modulators improve precision during ABS engagement.

Revised hydraulic ratio in rear brake, combined with ABS, achieve improved brake modulation in low-traction situations.

Lighter seat rails for improved mass centralization and better handling.

New, full-featured display has larger screen and thinner bezel, includes new upshift indicator that can be set to different rpm settings.

Turning radius reduced by nearly 8 inches for easier maneuvering.

Windscreen is 20mm taller for great wind protection during high-speed cruising.

Seat narrowed above pegs to aid touching feet to ground at stops.

New tapered handlebar improves feedback, control and style, while new rubber-mounted handlebar clamp minimizes vibration to rider’s hands.

More aggressive adventure styling with new fuel tank, radiator shroud, headlight, clear taillight lens and new LED turn signals. New shroud design helps direct radiator heat away from rider’s legs."

Weight is 430 lbs, a good 70 lb increase from my 300R. I'm 6'0 tall and weigh 100 kg (220 lbs) and the 300R is a bit small for me now after living with it for 3 years. I don't want the insurance, ergos, or speed of a 600-1000. I'm glad I didn't purchase the 2016 CB500X at the time, but I think come March it's going to be hard to stop myself from trading in my beloved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMHO, I think you've waited 'till the proper time to make the jump. I can certainly see how the cbr300r would be a bit small for you. I think the little cbr300r is most suited for riders under 5'10, and under 180lbs. Physics and ergonomics would perhaps dictate the change up. Best of luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go for it. It even looks better this year, the only grumble I have ever heard about them is the shifting was notchy, and it looks like they corrected that. You might also find out what the service intervals are and how much they cost (more valves and harder to get to).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wish USA got the black colorway for 2019. We're only getting the red, which besides the monthly payments again is the only thing keeping me hesitant on the switch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Three reasons not to trade...1.Big...2.Heavy...3.Ugly.
All depends on the roads that you ride,for narrow back road scratching or gridlocked city traffic stay with the 300.
But if you do most of your riding on dual carriageways and motorways go with the 500.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ooohhh.. that white colorway on the 500X looks pretty sharp.

I personally don't know if I'd make the jump from the 300 to the 500X though (and I'm not telling you to get the NC700 because personally I think the V-Strom 650 is a much better adv bike).

There is the CB650F which is supposed to be pretty tame for what it is and not like a 600 super sport at all. What are the insurance rate cutoffs where you're at? Where I am the first tier of insurance it's 110-400cc then the next step up is 401-750cc, so if I go with either the 500 or 650 it's the same insurance class regardless.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I'm not going to try and convince you of anything but just offer my thoughts.

I spent 10 days touring Thailand on a rental CB500X this winter. I thought the engine was lacking in character and signed off too early (9K rpm I think) The handling was dreadful. Think pogo sticks front and rear. So I'm not a fan.

snackjack reckons it's big, heavy and ugly. I only agree on the last two points.
Big is good for you as your obviously needing a bit more room than the CBR300R offers.
Heavy is not and it is a porker.
Ugly is subjective and as long as you think it looks OK then that's all that matters. (Personally I dont like the styling but I'm not into adventure bikes)

Have you considered the '19 CBR500R? https://powersports.honda.com/Model/Overview.aspx?year=2019&urlName=cbr500r
Same engine upgrades you mention but in a way cooler sporty package. Not ugly :D

See if you can secure a test ride on a demo model first perhaps.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want my next bike to be sort of naked, for easier oil and exhaust changes. CB500X can go offroad a bit while CBR500R can't, and it has a center stand which the 500R does not. 500X also has more upright, comfortable ergos than 500R.

I might wait for the 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700. That looks like an awesome dual-purpose bike.

Then there's the KTM 790 Duke. It's got the power to weight ratio I'm looking for, but I hear reliability and maintenance is bad.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 500X is a very good bike-I had a 2014 model and I'm going to buy another one soon I'm keeping the 300 for town and out fit the 500 for trips-being I had one I know there is enough difference to have both- the 2019 sounds like it might be better but it's an unknown and the seat height is getting up there and that 19" front wheel I don't like- and it seems Honda changed it just enough to say it's more dirt worthy but we all know this is a street bike- Honda had an up grade on this bike in 2016 and an other small one in 2017- 2018 same bike- I'm looking at a new 2017- it depends how much money I can save -as of today Honda has not said how much the 2019 will sell for my guess is $6900 -$1500 is my break point if I can save that much I'll buy the 2017 if not I'll wait for the 2019- either way it's to cold right now for bike buying

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I might wait for the 2021 Yamaha Tenere 700. That looks like an awesome dual-purpose bike.

Then there's the KTM 790 Duke. It's got the power to weight ratio I'm looking for, but I hear reliability and maintenance is bad.
The Tenere would be worth waiting for. I thought it was coming out this year?

I haven't heard anything bad about the KTM 790, just the 390. Completely different kettle of fish to the CB though - like twice the horse power!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My self I do like the CBR 500 R esp the 2018 Red/White.... but 2 things keep me from buying it. 1..... the weight ..heck of a lot more than my CBR 300 and 2..... as Kiwi mentioned...the engine shuts down way to early... but the low down torque is nice.
I am this year drawn to the new 2019 R 3 with its new suspension and the colour....sigh. But I still think my Tri-Colour 300 R looks great.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Never base your judgement from rental vehicles, especially rental vehicles in Asia. They're the most abused form of vehicles you can find with customers often taking them through stuff its not designed for and handing it back to rental companies in nearly broken down form. And rental companies don't like to keep their vehicles mechanically niggle free because it costs money to service on time so an unsuspecting customer gets handed the keys to a nearly wrecked vehicle which rattles, squeaks and bobs its way around and possibly even breaks down on them.

I am trading in my 250R for the CBR650R next year. The Neo cafe CB650R won't be sold here(a shame) anyway but I like the reviews on them. I'm also 6 foot 3 and 250lbs so while the 250R is still comfortable for week long rides, I yearn for some extra power on the long straights I often find myself riding in.
The 500 trio don't sell where I live so its a bummer because I've always felt the 500s were a right balance between the nimbleness of the 250 and the power of a 650(Ninja 650 back then or ER6F/N). Then Honda just went and cut like 6 kg off the 650F in the new 650Rs so now I don't see the point of going for a 500R or a 500F while the 650Rs are within 10kg of its weight while making 2 times the power.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Never base your judgement from rental vehicles, especially rental vehicles in Asia.
Yeah fair call regarding the suspension but the rental company didnt lower the redline to 9K rpm Lol. The motors Ok if you just want to chug around tho.

We had 10 bikes in the group of differing mileages and the outfit was half decent at maintaining them. Mine had brand new Michelins which is why I picked it.

Part of the problem was we all had better bikes back home. The first stop we had on day one everyone was like ' man these things are all over the shop'. But by the end of the tour we had learnt how to ride around the handling 'quirks' a bit and managed to have some fun at times pushing them along.

I asked the tour leader if he ever had any problems with them and he said no, so they are reliable at least. Impressive given the heat of South East Asia and the thrashing they get.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Never base your judgement from rental vehicles, especially rental vehicles in Asia. They're the most abused form of vehicles you can find with customers often taking them through stuff its not designed for and handing it back to rental companies in nearly broken down form. And rental companies don't like to keep their vehicles mechanically niggle free because it costs money to service on time so an unsuspecting customer gets handed the keys to a nearly wrecked vehicle which rattles, squeaks and bobs its way around and possibly even breaks down on them.

I am trading in my 250R for the CBR650R next year. The Neo cafe CB650R won't be sold here(a shame) anyway but I like the reviews on them. I'm also 6 foot 3 and 250lbs so while the 250R is still comfortable for week long rides, I yearn for some extra power on the long straights I often find myself riding in.
The 500 trio don't sell where I live so its a bummer because I've always felt the 500s were a right balance between the nimbleness of the 250 and the power of a 650(Ninja 650 back then or ER6F/N). Then Honda just went and cut like 6 kg off the 650F in the new 650Rs so now I don't see the point of going for a 500R or a 500F while the 650Rs are within 10kg of its weight while making 2 times the power.
Prices...
CBR 500 R (2019 Canadian.. $7499.00) Weight... 423 LBS (192 Kg)
CBR 650 R (2019 Canadian.. $10,199.00) Weight... 458 LBS (207.7 Kg)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yamaha MT-07 is 403 lbs wet. I should've bought that as my first bike. Can't buy it now or I'll feel stupid.

MT-09 is another option I'd prefer over the Honda/Kawi 650s.

Or I could save money and slowly upgrade my 300 with Ohlins forks/shock, Dynojet FC, full exhaust etc...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yamaha MT-07 is 403 lbs wet. I should've bought that as my first bike. Can't buy it now or I'll feel stupid.

Or I could save money and slowly upgrade my 300 with Ohlins forks/shock, Dynojet FC, full exhaust etc...
you could -but you would still have a used 300 with alot of money in it- something about a new bike that brings a smile to the face even if it's just a little bigger bike

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts

That could be a fun project if your really into your 300, but as your looking sideways at it regarding its cramped size I think you would be better off putting that coin towards a new bike.
If I add the cost of those four items together in my head that's about $4,500 NZD ($3KUSD) and you would never see it again at sale time. I would love to do the above to a CB300R and turn it into a 140Kg wet street fighter/ canyon carver come wheelie popper?

As soon as I read Laurie's post about the weight of the (now lighter Lol) CBR650R I was thinking "What! the MT-07 is only 179kg" It does have two less cylinders to be fair.

I agree with you, the MT-07 would have been ideal given your tall stature. I ride one regularly and they are an awesome machine. Trumps the CB500F in every category easily. Yamaha has just tweaked the suspension on the new model too. If you see a deal on one of these nab it!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts