Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Three reasons not to trade...1.Big...2.Heavy...3.Ugly.
1. No.
2. No.
3. Subjective (but still no).

The 300 is a great bike, but it's an easy bike to outgrow. Most riders will eventually want something bigger, more substantial, and more powerful. If OP is thinking the time is right to make the jump to something bigger, then the time is right to make the jump to something bigger. This is the same natural process that drove me to trade up from the 500R to the 650F.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I will take a shot at "Convince me to not trade in for CB500X"

First of all its going to cost you money. You are going to take a hit by selling a used 300 (and if you \trade it in/ you will get skewered at the Dealership).

The 300 you already have is doing a good job getting you to your destinations. And if you finance the bike you are going to also lose alot of money with the interest and finance charges. If you require insurance than certainly your premiums will go up compared to the 300.

So maybe I can play devils advocate here and talk to you in "your parents voice" with some practical (and boring) advice to not always fall for this illusion that the "grass is greener" on the other side. The commercials and advertising industry are like earwigs in our ear and hypnotizing us to constantly upgrade and upgrade and upgrade.

But even the latest and greatest gadget you buy today will no longer be "the best and brightest" thing in 2020 and then after that....and after that.... a newer model will come out with some extra gadgets or fancy trimmings to captivate our attention.

And let us not forget that thieves will be more drawn to this 2019 beauty and you will have to be mindful of the thievery and just that fact can take away some enjoyment because it makes it hard to relax (for me at least).

I feel a little better knowing that my current 2015 CB300F will not have the thieves salivating and licking their lips when I drive and park in the Walmart parking lot.

I can say for myself I sometimes watch videos of Ninja 400 and fantasize "Hmmm, I wish I had one of those" and daydreams of wheelies and rev-bombs but then i snap out of it and come back to reality. And for me I realize that the little 300 is doing a great job of commuting and getting me around town and to make an analogy: Why fire a loyal employee who is doing a great job and has proven itself reliable?

Even with an inanimate object i really feel alot of love for my bike, almost like feeling love for a dog. It would take alot for me to part with my little 300. All the joy it brings to me everyday, and on a rough day it is a comfort to know that I can go for a ride on this 300 and clear my head, clear my thoughts and just RIDE,.....

ANyways, thats how I feel about it. It takes a strong amount of self-discipline to resist the temptations to upgrade and these commercials sure are clever and adept to brainwash us that what we currently have is "not good enough" and that we must be "missing out" on the latest and greatest new fad. But it is a financial loss even the title transfer and registration fees that will be over $500. And you can save all that money and if you have it you can invest the money and make it grow.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I can say for myself I sometimes watch videos of Ninja 400 and fantasize "Hmmm, I wish I had one of those" and daydreams of wheelies and rev-bombs but then i snap out of it and come back to reality.
It cost me $3500 ($2400 USD) to turn that dream into a reality selling a tidy three year old CBR with 20K miles on the clock.

I like to mod my bikes and I'd pretty much got to the end of what I could do with the CBR without over capitalizing on it. So it's been refreshing to get a new bike and start over again.
If you look at everything in life from the point of view of 'is this a sound financial move?' then you will deny yourself all sorts of fun!

My view: If you can afford to do it then go for it. :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think because of your height and weight the 500 would be a better bet. I've downsized from 650 Deauville (250 kilo) to the CBR300 because I'm 5' 7" (used to be 5' 10") and 156 lbs.
I think if you are comfortable on the 500 go for it. When you get old :eek::laugh: you can go back to a 300.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dont assume some low-life will not steal your motorcycle.. fool me assumed that for my cbr250r - 'who'd steal a 250!'
yet one did steal her.. my ruined [slowly recovering] knee was hurting and feeling sorry for myself when a bloke in a wheelchair crossed my path.. the 'pain' seemed to fade, as i thanked knee for 70yrs support and for trying its best..
having had large motorcycles, returning thru cbr250r then 2 cbr300r's, i know that the large bike is the go for highway work or any extended time in the saddle, even tho, the smaller bike can get you there etc.. for general work, local riding and suchlike the nimble economical smaller bike is definitely the go - even tho, the big bike can do the job..
its the right tool for the job.. without doubt, regardless of skill etc, you will need to muscle the heavier bike around just getting from a to b.. its heavier weight is more sensitive to the wet, and stopping distances will be longer..
people say 'fun' but for me its just pleasure riding a smaller or mid size bike within traffic flows, thru roundabouts, filtering [slow speed at lights etc] to even just parking wherever you like, over gutters and suchlike..
having said that tho, if i had a garage or access to my apartment space even, i would have a cbr600rr..
not to use its potential power etc in general riding, but because its just such a beautiful machine and thing..
and i can afford one.. having a bike stolen is imo a real kick in the guts,, and to be avoided if at all possible..
unfortunately cbr600rr is a hot item for mongrel bike thieves and their parts industry..
bottom line tho, people do all sorts of things for many reasons aside from economy etc..
costs a fortune to get into sky-diving for eg, but still, for some, its way worth the cost..
bottom line of bottom lines [no offense to religious folk] - you only live once -

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well it's a good thing that I'm planing to keep my 300 no matter what I buy- because their value just went down the tubes- for those in the USA check out Honda's site and the rebate section--$800 on a 2018 F and $1000 on a 2019 R why would anyone buy a used one or a dealer take in a trade--- also I called USA Honda about the 2019 500X no release date no price yet

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Well it's a good thing that I'm planing to keep my 300 no matter what I buy- because their value just went down the tubes- for those in the USA check out Honda's site and the rebate section--$800 on a 2018 F and $1000 on a 2019 R why would anyone buy a used one or a dealer take in a trade--- also I called USA Honda about the 2019 500X no release date no price yet
I guess they are trying to shift stock but yeah it does nothing for the existing owners bike value. $1000 USD is a big discount.

The CBR is hardly selling here now, I think Honda has hung onto this model too long. The other night I was looking at the 2018 new bike sales stats from last year.
Bear in mind the total sales in NZ are only 6,500 ish per year Lol.

Ninja 400 ...... 173
Yamaha R3 .... 164
KTM 390 ........ 121
GSX 250R........ 67
BMW G310R .....63
CBR 300......... 44

The F model fared even worse, only 17 units sold compared to 126 Yamaha MT-03's.
Will be interesting to see if Honda can turn that naked market figure around with the new CB300R.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... If you look at everything in life from the point of view of 'is this a sound financial move?' then you will deny yourself all sorts of fun!

My view: If you can afford to do it then go for it. :D
Not to mention that life is short... that's a fact. I'll be 60 this year, and going forward I plan on making the most of every day.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Not to mention that life is short... that's a fact. I'll be 60 this year, and going forward I plan on making the most of every day.
Good policy! I'm turning 50 this year and have already implemented this.
In recent years there has been a couple of early losses in my circle of family and friends which has hammered this home to me big time.
We ain't here for a dress rehearsal! :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My dealer will give me $2,000-2,500 USD if I trade it for something. There are just too many options. I'm even considering the 600RR. I hear it's been unchanged since 2013, so I might just hold on for another year and see what Honda does for 2020. They might even stop producing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
My dealer will give me $2,000-2,500 USD if I trade it for something. There are just too many options. I'm even considering the 600RR. I hear it's been unchanged since 2013, so I might just hold on for another year and see what Honda does for 2020. They might even stop producing it.
Mate, I dont mean this in a rude way but it doesn't sound like you quite know what you want. A 120HP CBR600RR crotch rocket is the polar opposite of the 50HP CB500X adventure bike that you were initially considering when you started this thread!

I'd go middle ground and try out an MT-07, awesome bike. I'm not sure if your a Honda only man but see if you can get a ride on a demo model, you wont be disappointed.

Also if you sell your bike privately you will get more than the dealer is offering. I remember when I traded up from the 250R to the 300R the same dealer I bought the bike off one year and 5500 miles earlier would only offer me 'low 4000's'. I sold it privately and got 5K easily and quickly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd go middle ground and try out an MT-07, awesome bike. I'm not sure if your a Honda only man but see if you can get a ride on a demo model, you wont be disappointed.
How do you find the fuel consumption of the MT-07 vs Ninja 400 vs CBR300R? Getting 30km/L (71 US mpg) on the CBR300R is a nice every day occurrence...but from the owners forums it seems like both the Ninja 400 and MT-07 are much thirstier beasts.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
How do you find the fuel consumption of the MT-07 vs Ninja 400 vs CBR300R? Getting 30km/L (71 US mpg) on the CBR300R is a nice every day occurrence...but from the owners forums it seems like both the Ninja 400 and MT-07 are much thirstier beasts.
I get about 27/28 km/l on the Ninja if I'm just cruising at 105 and keeping the cops happy :D
My mate owns the MT so I cant quote you figures but I know its pretty good for a 689cc twin.
I think anyone who is really concerned about fuel mileage should stick with a 300 class bike.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Mate, I dont mean this in a rude way but it doesn't sound like you quite know what you want.
You're right. I like 4 kinds of bikes. Sport, supersport, adventure and naked. I think the best option is like you said, MT07 but the forks are basic and I'll want more power. I'm mainly thinking CB500X for everything besides outright power, MT09, and Z900. 2,3, and 4 cylinders.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I can understand the rebates on the F models to make room for the new Neo Sports, and bike sales are down, so they need to get rid of leftovers at dealers. But, it doesn't make sense on a 2019 model.
I do believe Honda has something up their sleeve in the small bike category as far as the new Neo CB300R I like it but it seems no one else around my neck of the woods does local dealer has the same first one for 4 months now and when the Kawasaki Z400 comes out in the USA for the same price that will kill the small Honda's( after this round of rebates goes away)- it going to be a wait and see game

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I do believe Honda has something up their sleeve in the small bike category as far as the new Neo CB300R I like it but it seems no one else around my neck of the woods does local dealer has the same first one for 4 months now and when the Kawasaki Z400 comes out in the USA for the same price that will kill the small Honda's( after this round of rebates goes away)- it going to be a wait and see game
IMO the Honda is a better looking bike than the Z400 and it's got a good level of spec with USD forks and LED lighting. From the reviews it appears they handle really well.
It's a shame they didnt develop a new more competitive motor for it before releasing it.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
apparently it would take expensive development and exotic metals to continue cbr600rr into coming eu emissions laws..
and given relatively low sales numbers for this model.. without doubt a collectors item.. [oh for a garage, even a shed]
Do you have any room out the back where you could build a shed? I built a kitset shed for my three bikes and trailer last year and it was relatively easy if you followed the plan. And I'm no builder!
The best feature is the clear roofing strips that let lots of natural light in.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts