Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
IMO the Honda is a better looking bike than the Z400

I'll second this opinion - the Z400 design looks even busier and 'bitsy' than the already busy and angular Z300 design. I can't appreciate it especially given the simple yet beautiful lines of the CBR300R.

It's a shame they didnt develop a new more competitive motor for it before releasing it.

It seems to me that Honda decided that a 286cc would still make the CB300R a "big bike" in the high volume Asian markets hence no need to push through any changes. Unfortunately for us...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mate my apartment has zero access.. 13 steep side steps access only..
my clever daughters who helped organise my relocation here
see this as a bonus.. its a lovely area near coogee beach etc,
but even my re-entry cbr250r was stolen off the street :(

parking is at a premium, no garage space to rent etc...

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
mate my apartment has zero access.. 13 steep side steps access only..
my clever daughters who helped organise my relocation here
see this as a bonus.. its a lovely area near coogee beach etc,
but even my re-entry cbr250r was stolen off the street :(

parking is at a premium, no garage space to rent etc...
Ah bugger. The price of a nice location huh. :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Prices...
CBR 500 R (2019 Canadian.. $7499.00) Weight... 423 LBS (192 Kg)
CBR 650 R (2019 Canadian.. $10,199.00) Weight... 458 LBS (207.7 Kg)
You could get a 2018 CB650F for $500 more over the 2019 500R.

Anyway I honestly don't know how people complain about the 2019 CB300R having the same engine as the old CB300F yet nobody notices the part about the new bike weighing 15 kilos less (143 vs 158). I'd say with an aftermarket can that would be a 33+ hp machine at 13_ kilos wet. It feels like a more engaging bike to ride when i test rode a stock one especially with how planted the front felt compared to the sofa cushion like softly setup 300F.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Anyway I honestly don't know how people complain about the 2019 CB300R having the same engine as the old CB300F yet nobody notices the part about the new bike weighing 15 kilos less (143 vs 158). I'd say with an aftermarket can that would be a 33+ hp machine at 13_ kilos wet. It feels like a more engaging bike to ride when i test rode a stock one especially with how planted the front felt compared to the sofa cushion like softly setup 300F.
I noticed! :D
It's impressive how much weight they managed to lose given it's the same motor weight. Must be in the frame and wheels mainly.
I managed to strip 13 kg off my CBR300 and over 10 kg off my Ninja 400, so this would be a fun bike to take on as a project. With a pipe and a lithium battery you would have it down in the upper thirties right off the bat.

But yeah the addition of a fuel controller mapped to match the new pipe would help that 30.4 HP output figure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MT-07, CB650R, or SV650 on this end... But I'll just watch the market (I swear!) for the next two years (assuming I graduate from the program I'm in, and find a relevant job elsewhere as opposed to locally). In the meantime, the 300F continues to get tricked out ;-)

Can't go wrong with the CB/CBR650F. That's what I upgraded to :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
If someone made a drop-in big bore kit for the 300 I'd be more inclined to keep it. I'm getting too fat for 286 cc.
I have always found that motorcycles are away of getting me to do something I might not do otherwise-- case in point I like this little bike I'm also quit big for the bike(was 210 lbs) so in the last three months I have lost 20 lbs and will shoot for another 10 lbs- that an putting my pipe back on I'm down 30 pounds on the bike and yes I can feel it

·
Registered
380 Posts
True fact! I'm halfway through the easy 20 lbs I could shed through the winter. Did the full exhaust, tail tidy, few other small weight loss things to the bike last season.

Agree with Hi-Viz about wishing the big bore kits were more common / reliable / economic, but at 6', the 300 will always be a wee bit small. No regrets tho!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Everyone's talking about losing weight, and I'm sitting here eating Oreo cookies...I'm afraid to try on my riding jacket. I'm sure once I take my bike out of storage, I'll want to start a diet, but right now it's cold and I'm hibernating...

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well it's a good thing that I'm planing to keep my 300 no matter what I buy- because their value just went down the tubes- for those in the USA check out Honda's site and the rebate section--$800 on a 2018 F and $1000 on a 2019 R why would anyone buy a used one or a dealer take in a trade--- also I called USA Honda about the 2019 500X no release date no price yet
Wow, those discounts are significant. But for me the CB300F is just about perfect. I do alot of short trips, 15 minute drives to complete errands. And it feels okay on the highway for me at 75 mph (121 km/h)

But I am a smaller man only 140 lbs (64 kg) so your human body may be the determining factor is comfort. I can tell you that in USA it is expensive to transfer to a different motorcycle with the government taxes and transfer fees they will dock you at least $500 USD in government taxes and fees (they call it registration and title transfer fee) so for me that takes the incentive out of "trading up" or whatever

My advice is same as earlier. Practice contentment. We are being brainwashed with marketing messages and corporatism and being hypnotized to BUY, BUY, BUY. It feels good in the moment but even if I bought a brand new 2019 model today I would find that the "pizzaz" is lost after a month or 2. Im talking about the feeling of novelty, it will wear off quick.

And a 600cc beast is only going to encourage reckless driving behavior. Either that or you will feel frustrated when sitting in slow moving traffic that you cannot use the potential of the strong motor. So it is kind of like Coitus interruptus (that means sex where you pull out right before ejaculate)

We hear the cliche all the time "Its funner to drive a slow bike fast than it is to drive a fast bike slow". And this is very true.....it is more fun to wind out the 300cc bike up to 8000 rpm than to drive the 600cc at congested traffic speeds.

Does anyone have the link of that YouTube video where Ari Henning is driving the 300F at a track? He really shows off the bike's true potential (in the hands of a highly skilled rider) but I feel that many people jump to a higher cc bike before truly honing their skills on the 300cc bike. Think about it...... How many of us are able to lean the bike over so much in a turn that we scrape the toe of our boot on the ground? If we have not progressed to that level of ridersmanship then perhaps we need more seat time rather than looking to upgrade to a bigger machine.

For example I bought my CB300F with only 1900 miles on it. I am the 3rd owner of the bike. SO what does that tell you? I guess the 2 previous owners must have thought they "outgrew the bike" and had become Street Rossi in such a short time?

It is absurd, the mentality of those guys. Can you believe it? They did not even put 2000 miles on the clock between the 2 of them and think they are ready to "upgrade". Ha-Ha-Ha

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
without doubt a motorcycle which starts first touch every time, does its job with enthusiasm and stability etc, just looks better and more beautiful as time goes bye.. ive had mates who 'loved trumpies' and not 'that jap ****', etc,
then after multiple failures, saw the light and treated themselves to a cb750/4 - or another beautiful honda..

·
Registered
380 Posts
For example I bought my CB300F with only 1900 miles on it. I am the 3rd owner of the bike. SO what does that tell you? I guess the 2 previous owners must have thought they "outgrew the bike" and had become Street Rossi in such a short time?
There's a 2015 300F at my local bike shop currently with 19(!) miles on the odometer. (Head-scratching emoji)

·
Registered
400 Posts
There's a 2015 300F at my local bike shop currently with 19(!) miles on the odometer. (Head-scratching emoji)
I see that alot-- a guy walks into a shop just looking slick salesman makes the sale with little to nothing down guy drives home big smile --till the wife sees it-- take it back no motorcycle in this house-- being it's not Walmart they will not take it back and now it's on consignment-- just stroll by your local Harley dealer and check the mileage on some of their used bikes-- the best one I have seen it 7 miles used

·
Registered
417 Posts
I see that alot-- a guy walks into a shop just looking slick salesman makes the sale with little to nothing down guy drives home big smile --till the wife sees it-- take it back no motorcycle in this house-- being it's not Walmart they will not take it back and now it's on consignment-- just stroll by your local Harley dealer and check the mileage on some of their used bikes-- the best one I have seen it 7 miles used
Wow, that is very interesting.

I figured they just had a few miles on them (Such as 10 or less) just from being driven at the Q.A. department.

I remembered when I bought a car once and instantly regretted it I thought i could just take it back to the Dealership inside of the 24 hour "cool down" period but I found out that no such law exists in the USA (anymore).

I think the powerful lobbyists for the car dealership industry got that whole 2 day "cool down" period law rescinded.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
no such law in australia, but 'lemon law's' may apply with states having varying interpretations of 'a lemon'..
usually its down to policy of the selling company or dealership.. undiagnosed [by dealer] problems or multiple
repairs within first month or so may also qualify for refund or replacement vehicle..
but not for 'stupid' decisions of a buyer..
best advice is to actually read that contract you are about to sign..

[imagine the ratbags who would 'buy' a vehicle, flog the guts out of it etc,
then return it for a 'refund'.. think of yourself as its next 'new' buyer..

41 - 60 of 73 Posts