Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a nice round trip on small roads last Sunday. Obviously, that was the last one for several weeks :(
They banned all outside activities, except single person sport like running or bicycle.
Yes, there are some discussions like "motorcycle riding is dangerous, you will block hospital capacity on an accident"
... hm, I think it depends how the person rides. Anyway, as during winter, I can survive without riding a bike. I'll focus on running and my non motorized race bike, enjoying the empty roads, cleaning my mind from all the crazy stuff going on.
Stay healthy !

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’m sure I’ve told you this before, but I love your bike!!!!
I hope we don’t have to stay off the road. My wife and I were going to go for a ride next week.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
I’m sure I’ve told you this before, but I love your bike!!!!
I hope we don’t have to stay off the road. My wife and I were going to go for a ride next week.
Unless your state government is really ass backwards, the powers that be will not ban outdoor activities. As long as you adhere to the 6 ft min social distance, they should have no problems.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
I was on a nice round trip on small roads last Sunday. Obviously, that was the last one for several weeks :(
They banned all outside activities, except single person sport like running or bicycle.
Yes, there are some discussions like "motorcycle riding is dangerous, you will block hospital capacity on an accident"
... hm, I think it depends how the person rides. Anyway, as during winter, I can survive without riding a bike. I'll focus on running and my non motorized race bike, enjoying the empty roads, cleaning my mind from all the crazy stuff going on.
Stay healthy !
And so we're to believe that bicycles are not just as dangerous as a motorbike, in terms of taking hospital bed capacity or ER services? That's a crock of **** to say the least.

As for a legit reason for not being able to ride, my entire 2020 is over with, and not because of COVID-19. Rather, my season ender was due to neurosurgery for tumors on Feb 6th... full story here :https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/27038-my-life-after-brain-surgery.html

"Last ride for several weeks"... give me a fricking break. I don't know else to say this, but a few of you here on this forum are really sounding pretty pathetic and arrogant with your "oh whoa is me" problems & issues. Grow up.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
its a very difficult time - for the world.. this small forum is one example of folk communicating and sharing life activities,, demonstrating the better side of humanity..
as countries go into lockdown, in attempts to slow ongoing transmissions, it is all the more important that rational folk with shared interests continue to interact on such as this forum..
there are places [eg yemen] where people cant even wash their hands due to no water..
i walked down to the shop yesterday, wearing my r95 mask - only 3 others had masks..
for many in such as australia, the **** hasnt yet hit the fan...
india for eg, has gone into full strict lockdown - of over a billion people...
for many now for the time being at least its watching motogp etc torrent collections,
rather than enjoying any of the many outdoor recreational experiences..
we can get thru this together, even tho many will be lost..

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
USA has it pretty bad right now too with the COVID-19 outbreak. NYC is particularly bad.

IDK, maybe I reacted a bit harsh in me previous post. Still, give the entirety of the COVID-19 situation, it seems we could look beyond our own little world of motorcycle riding and how this impacts us 'personally'. Compared to most people on this planet, we live a charmed life... to complain about some aspect it smacks of privilege.

·
Registered
270 Posts
So, in Minnesota, "recreational driving" is an explicitly allowed justification to be on the roads. Although a lot of people are acting freaked out by curfews and stay at home orders, I haven't been able to find actual, concrete "you cannot leave your house without a permission slip" orders (in the US). I have friends back in (upstate) NY being given permission slips by employers, but the state guidelines don't actually say that is required.

The situation is obviously serious and these measures are important, but the US stay-at-home effort seems more social persuasion, less actual coercion.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
motomike record here and cbr250r over the years has been rational, helpful, friendly and appropriate - beyond the call of duty.. our global community is and will be under great stress, going forward.. whatever we are going thru now pales in comparison to that of mm..
even average good folk today are under unusual stress..

mutual support and working for the common good is what matters now..
we will all of us need to martial our inner strengths and understanding..

if you cant ride, for now, be that motorcyclist within...

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
So, in Minnesota, "recreational driving" is an explicitly allowed justification to be on the roads. Although a lot of people are acting freaked out by curfews and stay at home orders, I haven't been able to find actual, concrete "you cannot leave your house without a permission slip" orders (in the US). I have friends back in (upstate) NY being given permission slips by employers, but the state guidelines don't actually say that is required.

The situation is obviously serious and these measures are important, but the US stay-at-home effort seems more social persuasion, less actual coercion.
The less exposure to the public, the safer you'll be... I view it as being for one's own good. Can I go to town? Sure... but why would I? In my case, I'm in a high risk group, having just had brain surgery less than two months ago. Not to mention I'm 60 years old. Only place I'm going anytime soon are my oncology appointments.

On the other hand, if you want go out in public for no good reason, and disregard the recommended 6ft social distancing, hey knock yourself out. No one is stoping you.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Here in NZ we have been in lock down for three days now. We are only supposed to use our vehicles to drive to the supermarket which is the only shop open. Or if you are an essential worker (like myself) then you are allowed to drive to work. I have an 'Authorization to travel' document.
When you get to the supermarket they have a 'one in, one out' policy with a maximum of 50 people allowed inside at one time and you have to sanitize your hands as you enter. You queue behind a line at the checkout counter 2m apart from one another. At the check out there is a perspex screen between you and the shop assistant. It's all taken very seriously, sometimes the police are there keeping an eye on proceedings.
We are allowed to walk and cycle recreationaly around the town observing social distancing. Every one has their own bubble of people they are close too, generally immediate family.
Today, being the rebellious motorcycle type I am (;)) I went for a ride on my bike in the local area on the outskirts of town. I'd had a busy 50hr week at work, the sun was out and I needed to de-stress. I couldn't see the harm as I was having contact with nothing but the inside of my helmet. I got few funny looks from the cyclists and pedestrians and luckily didnt run into any police.
I think they have taken the rules too far. We are also not supposed to go into the forest or go to the beach. Life has got very, very dull for New Zealanders as most are not working now. This lock down is for four weeks, people will go stir crazy for sure.
On the plus side the last three days our new infections tally has been 78, 85, 83. So hopefully we have plateaued. Population only 5 million here.
So the govt is taking it really seriously to try and stop us getting it like Italy or Spain.

Just like on this forum I find the people around me here have their own views on how far they are prepared to embrace the co-vid 19 directives. We need to be respectful of each others differing opinions.

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
What's that suppose to mean?
You're imputing some laissez-faire attitude on my part Mike. But I'm not disregarding recommendations and we're taking the situation seriously. I'm younger but have my fair share of chronic health conditions. I'm more concerned about my parents, who are in upstate NY and in their 70s and could anticipate just about the worst outcomes if infected (my mother is on oxygen with COPD).

My interest in state responses is rather academic, and as people with science-y backgrounds, my partner and I were taking this situation seriously awhile ago, when the first comparisons to 1918 and talk of exponential growth curves began.

Simultaneously, I think allowances for things like recreational driving or riding, the ability to get outdoors, etc., is important for mental health to blunt the potential increase in rates of depression, anxiety, and domestic abuse!

(edit: no hard feelings!)

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Meanwhile, in Honduras... :eek:
Heck, they dont muck around there eh. The guys on the bikes seemed kind of used to being beaten which is worrying.

Your new SV quarantined too?!
Mate, I try not to think about it as it only gets me down. Luckily I'm busy at my work so not sitting around home in my lounge surrounded by SV parts lamenting the huge chunk of the puzzle that's missing...

I so nearly got it. The office lady from the bike shop and her partner were going to deliver my bike and another brand new bike to a customer in Christchurch, South Island. I was going to meet them there in my van and collect it. But on Monday last week the Govt announced the lock down and gave people 48hrs to rtn to their place of residence. The ferries between the two islands went nuts and got swamped so they prioritized people returning home and the bike deliverers got bumped. :(

·
Registered
270 Posts
Half the guys on bikes seemed confused, or were trying to show their IDs!

Heck sorry to hear kiwi (regardless if it's not the most important thing in the world). I've put about 260 miles on mine, a few frigid days I regretted and two nice rides recently. It's brilliant. You'll love it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here in UK we are now on lock down. I got a ride in last Sunday before the notification. We can go out for essential food or medical products, walk, run or cycle once a day for exercise, travel to work ( if you are still working) and no social gatherings or meeting friends.
I am busy building about 60 meters of stone wall at 1.5 meters high with about 16 meters at 2+ meters high. I have to dig out all the footings to start so it's a long job and will take me till summer. Problem now is that the quarry has closed due to the virus so I can't get any more stone. I'll use what I have in a couple of days so that will be then end of it for the time being.:)
We've had some super weather for the past week and had I not been building the wall I would have wanted to get out on the bike and felt very frustrated.:(
We are keeping well clear of other people as at 80 I am supposed to be vulnerable.:eek:
Hope everyone else on the forum is managing OK and keeping well. When you are able to get out for a ride, take care.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
mate that vulnerability is based on reduced immune system responses, but together with 80yrs to damage respiratory system - eg, and especially smoking - also heart and other vital system damage and just wearing out.. some do better than others, healthy lifestyle, activity - playing sports, outdoors activities, [building stone walls] riding bikes etc.. interesting that lifelong karateka and yogis [regular excellent daily activity] tend to last into 80's and beyond..

so the longer you live for whatever reason, the more potential damage your heart and lungs plus immune system are likely to suffer.. notice urgent need globally for ventilators, people now making them with 3-d printers aside from manufacturers switching to making them, due to lung damage and viral pneumonia, which makes it difficult to breathe, thus a major killer..
but it can infect and make sick even kill younger folk, as ongoing stats show..
[also, virus' mutate, fairly quickly, which results in a slight mutation suiting infection of human hosts - such as in wuhan live wild animal markets,, where slight mutation allows jumping from one to other species and to humans.. already two 'species' of this virus have been identified from early on in china,, which is or perhaps should have been, cause enough for emergency serious responses worldwide,, such as closing borders to aircraft and so on.. now, we must all live with the results of politicians making decisions early on which should have been made by experts]

australia and my state of nsw went into a tighter state of lockdown midnight last night..
this is a highly contagious and deadly virus, with no cure or any vaccine on the horizon..
one person infected including asymptomatic or mildly ill, can infect 400 others simply by ignoring social distancing requirements.. lack of testing in some/most countries means that there are many,, infected people, infecting others, worldwide.. and it will, continue to mutate..
here reports of people fleeing the virus for areas of no or less infection [global response] fuels and hardens decisionmaker attitudes to enforcement of lockdowns,, and vigilantes responding to cars of city people showing up in country towns, such as tyre slashing, to stop them..

iran has released tens of thousands of prisoners, and other countries will be releasing some or all prisoners from prisons systems,, which simply couldnt happen other than in a deadly pandemic which can be spread from taxi driver to passenger, and suchlike..

so it isnt a matter of personal judgement on what to do or not do,, as altho many intelligent good folk will immediately see the light and respond appropriately, fact is many refuse to or are incapable of comprehending the reality around them.. this like a hive thing, we are all in it..
even in this tho,, there is opportunity,, for people to refresh their humanity, and take advantage of this enforced partial solitude [imo].. altho i dont train karate now, lately ive been studying my kata and related practices, and also yoga [my daily yoga has shutdown and gone online] together with taking advantage of the 'opportunity' to meditate and study meditation..
if youve ever enjoyed art, drawing, painting etc, nows the time to get your paint out..
it wont be long before this is over, this time, even tho some will get over it faster than others..
the way to look at it imo is rather than not being able to do usual things, its a matter of surviving, including as a global and local community so as to be able to get back to normal living
and things like riding motorcycles and other special enjoyments...

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
I am busy building about 60 meters of stone wall at 1.5 meters high with about 16 meters at 2+ meters high. I have to dig out all the footings to start so it's a long job and will take me till summer. Problem now is that the quarry has closed due to the virus so I can't get any more stone. I'll use what I have in a couple of days so that will be then end of it for the time being.:)
I'm super impressed! I can only hope that I will be as physically capable and active in my 80th year. Good on you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts