Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been experiencing a strange issue with my 2015 CBR300R. I made a tight 270 degree turn at low speed on a fairly steep slope, and when I tried to accelerate, the engine cut out. Less throttle was OK, but it wouldn’t accept bigger throttle openings at low speed. The fuel was fairly low at the time, and after I filled it up, no problem. However, when the fuel went down past two bars on the gauge again, the problem repeated. Filled up, problem solved. It’s a hard cut, which I would normally think of as electrical, but on a FI engine, fuel cutout can sometimes be as hard a cut as ignition, and clearly it’s related to the fuel level in the tank. I am currently living with the problem, just making sure the tank stays above two bars, but valve clearance checkup is coming, and I would like to deal with this while the tank is off. Has anyone else had this experience? (For the record, the engine has cut out twice before under low-speed acceleration, but it was two isolated incidents, years apart.)

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
Hmmm this is an interesting one. I'd love to help but I'm not coming up with anything. So it doesn't die completely, it just wont take accept large amounts of throttle? And it stays like this until you fill up or does it clear itself. ie intermittent issue?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Possibly a bad fuel pump. Although I can't see how the fuel level would effect things.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dont really know either, fuel pump seems like it could be the problem. Especially if a rider has ran the bike at a very low fuel level more than once (riding on fumes) because that would harm the fuel pump.

Maybe you can give it a Techron treatment? Techron fuel injector cleaner? That wont cost too much and it cant hurt. Some guys run a Techron treatment once per year even when all is good.

Have you been going to a strange new gas station? That happened to me a few months ago. My bike would not start and in the end it turned out I got lousy quality of gasoline at a new gas station. I say next time do the Techron treatment when you fill up a new tank of gas and make sure to go to a dependable gas station that you trust.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, in one way, I’m glad I didn’t get a simple answer in one reply; that would make me feel a bit dumb.

To address the questions above:

1) It will die completely if I don’t quickly close the throttle, but that can be avoided, especially since I suspect/know it’s going to happen. The condition is always there once it appears, and disappears immediately on filling the tank.

B) My mind keeps going to the fuel pump/filter as well. I’ve run it quite low on two occasions, but not in the past couple of years.

III) I buy all my gas from the same company, except on very rare occasions when I’m out of reach of their stations. I can’t remember when I last bought from anyone unknown.

As I said, the tank will have to come off at some point, and maybe a visual inspection/round of tests re: the pump and filter will turn something up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about keeping us informed on your progress.
I will do so. I ran through most of a tank with Lucas cleaner in it, but had to fill up for a highway ride before getting to the problem level. Now I’m back down to three bars, so in a day or two I should know if that made any difference (I seriously doubt it did). After that, it’s going to have to be tank off and visual inspection of pump/filter, I guess.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Possibility the fuel gauge is reading incorrectly and you're actually beginning to run out? How much does it take at two bars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts