Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a little searching, but most of what I found is geared towards more experienced riders. What sort of daily/weekly maintenance should I be performing on a new cb300f? I've never owned a bike before and don't have any local friends that can show me what to do. For reference, I can only ride on the weekends and put anywhere between 10-200 miles on it per weekend (usually between 10-40).

So far the only tool I own is a tire pressure gauge; I've been waiting on more informed opinions before purchasing anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With that so few miles all you'll really need is to check your tire pressure and make sure your chain is well adjusted and cleaned. Otherwise keeping with the maintenance in the owner's manual it'll last a pretty long time.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Oil and water should also be checked at a glance before every ride by viewing the sight glasses on the right hand side of the bike.

My personal pre-ride check is: tire pressures/oil/water

I tend to do chain maintenance when I clean the bike. Cleaning your bike thoroughly is a good way of spotting potential problems, damage or just a loose nut or bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I check every week are the following:

Tire pressure
Chain lubrication (does it feel dry?)
Chain tension
All lighting works, such as indicators
Brake pad wear (how thin are they?)
Oil level - why not? it only takes half a minute
Shock absorbers - any visible oil found on the forks?

edit: during winter times i clean the bike using water and appropriate solvents and during summer maybe every 2 - 3 weeks. Also, during winter I apply ACS (anti corrosion spray) about once a week to prevent rusting

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
This is my daily Pre-Ride check list...

- Tire pressure & condition (looking for nails or screws)

- Lighting & horn operation

- Controls (throttle return, clutch lever free play, front & rear brake operation)

- Engine oil level

- Coolant level in overflow tank

- Drive chain for adequate lubrication and correct free play

- Give the bike a good look over for anything amiss, loose fasteners, etc.

It sounds like a lot, but this whole process only takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The MSF's (Motorcycle Safty Foundation's) recommended pre-ride checklist is T-CLOCS:

T - Tires & Wheels
C - Controls
L - Lights & Electrics
O - Oil & Other Fluids
C - Chassis
S - Stands

You can look at a more detailed breakdown of each category on the below printable checklist from the MSF's website:

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCS_Inspection_Checklist.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your contributions. The manual has a pretty good chart for the mileage-based checks, but the suggestions here will be a great help in maintaining my new motorcycle (and, hopefullly, saving me from a mid-ride problem).

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I don't do as much pre-ride checking as I should be doing. I glance at the oil level every once in a while, and I clean / re-lube the chain after some good usage goes by. I check the tire pressures on a monthly basis or when there's a drastic change in weather / temperature.

I know, following examples from our veteran riders on board would be wise.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
While you've got yer head down there checking the oil once in a while divert yer eyes less than a foot to the left and check the coolant level in the reservoir tank. Too easy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot of checks are dependent on how often you ride and the distances you go.

If you ride everyday, for the most part weekly checks will do. The only thing I do every ride is look for a puddle under the bike and see if a tire is flat.

I check the chain and the fluids weekly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did a little searching, but most of what I found is geared towards more experienced riders. What sort of daily/weekly maintenance should I be performing on a new cb300f? I've never owned a bike before and don't have any local friends that can show me what to do. For reference, I can only ride on the weekends and put anywhere between 10-200 miles on it per weekend (usually between 10-40).

So far the only tool I own is a tire pressure gauge; I've been waiting on more informed opinions before purchasing anything else.
Cigarettes
Lighter
Wallet
Cash
Phone
9mm

:)

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Cigarettes
Lighter
Wallet
Cash
Phone
9mm

:)
9mm? Oh, you must mean the selection of spare bolts you carry in your tool roll.
I think you will find your 300 has bolts of 6, 8 and 10mm thread only.
When are you Americans gonna properly learn the metric system? ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I concur with all of the above! great advise that will keep you safe and on the road.
now get out and enjoy your riding.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My bikes are usually bought new and/or well maintained, used only for fun, and so the only thing I check before a ride is chain lube and fuel. I would check tyre pressures now and then. Everything else is done at service time. If I found a tyre lost air regularly, I would change it/fix the problem.

If I ever had a bike that needed oil level checks on a frequent basis, I would sell it. I was a mechanic for a few years and don't fix things any more! Happily for me though, I can afford not to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts